House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Poor Doors: The Segregation Of London's Inner-City Flat Dwellers

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/25/poor-doors-segregation-london-flats

Multimillion pound housing developments in London are segregating less well-off tenants from wealthy homebuyers by forcing them to use separate entrances.

A Guardian investigation has discovered a growing trend in the capital's upmarket apartment blocks – which are required to include affordable homes in order to win planning permission – for the poorer residents to be forced to use alternative access, a phenomenon being dubbed "poor doors". Even bicycle storage spaces, rubbish disposal facilities and postal deliveries are being separated.

The Green party accused developers of showing "contempt for ordinary people" by enforcing such two-tier policies.

So the only way to keep up the property prices of these builds is to keep the poor separate? Can't have the rich mingling with the riff-raff.

Back to the Victorian era with upstairs downstairs.

Can't see what the fuss is here tbh. Plenty of London streets where one end is privately owned, and there is a block of flats nearby run by a social housing association.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/25/poor-doors-segregation-london-flats

So the only way to keep up the property prices of these builds is to keep the poor separate? Can't have the rich mingling with the riff-raff.

From The Guardian article

"The Green party accused developers of showing "contempt for ordinary people" by enforcing such two-tier policies."

The Green party that is a surprise. :lol:

I was brought up on a council estate and I would want more than just separate entrances and rubbish chutes if I shelled out on a luxury penthouse apartment.

Think this is overblown tbh.

The "rich" entrances typically have a 24hrs porter / concierge which means extraordinarily high service charges. The "affordable" flats wouldn't be very affordable if they had to pay these...

Yes all those poor people in the still-plush "affordable" housing units in town centres.

I feel more sorry for the mugs buying the unaffordable housing that subsidised them.

Of course, I feel sorry for anyone that has to live in this hole of a country, myself included.

So basically there is a door for people who can afford to actually live there and those that can't.

I think that this is a bit rich coming from the left. The concept of the affordable housing quota is something forced on developers that pushes up prices and effectively prices out certain people.

The developers are now working within the rules they were given. If this means separating those who can afford service charges from those that cannot, so be it.

Edited by Ah-so

The point to remember is that those who go through the "poor door" pay considerably less in service charges than the others. I am sure those "unfortunate" poor who are able to buy in central London at reduced prices would be complaining if they had to pay £3000 per annum plus in service charges if they had the right to walk through the main entrance.

I think the developers have finally sussed a loop hole in meeting their quota but still segregating via service charges. You gotta hand it to them really, it was a stupid idea from the start.

Just build some more social housing FFS! (For rent only)