House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crystal ball

Credit Card Debt

Credit card woes on mainstream telly tonight.

bets being taken if the 1.1 trillion is mentioned

1/9 no

7/1 yes.

Place your bets

There'll just be the usual elongated emphasis on certain words in all sentences, accompanied by that diagonal nodding that Trevor does so well.

This current guy's a nob. As soon as I heard him say "chiefly". That's all I needed to hear.

He's also been paying women to c*ck-tease him. One can get c*ck-teased for free in many drinking establishments up and down the country. :)

Edited by aclwalker

Debt counsellor just mentioned a woman working only part-time on less than 12K per annum. Credit card debt: almost £100K. ****ing ridiculous.

this is theft in my opinion.

If i go to hmv and buy a cd on my credit card knowing i will never pay it back is the same as walking out with the same cd in my pocket without paying for it.

Both criminal.

Bring back debtors prisons and throw away the key.

this is theft in my opinion.

If i go to hmv and buy a cd on my credit card knowing i will never pay it back is the same as walking out with the same cd in my pocket without paying for it.

Both criminal.

Bring back debtors prisons and throw away the key.

I find it hard to disagree with this, but I'd throw some of the bankers in jail as well.

Their greed for bonuses has also contributed.

NDL

Here's the "economic growth" over the last few years. It has amounted to nothing other than one almightly binge on credit, and it is not just credit cards and loans it is mortgages as well.

It wouldn't matter if it hadn't also screwed up the cost base of the country and already imperiled 100,000's jobs.

Edited by OnlyMe

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Here's the "economic growth" over the last few years.

And here`s the "Big Bang" in the next few years. Just watch the bankruptcies and repossessions grow

Q on Q.

I was suprised that the issue of just how easy it is to get credit cards was not really talked about. It seemed rather one sided, with interviewees contrantly blaming the Government's lax regulation on declaring yourself bankrupt, and how it was taking the easy way out.

They could not seem to grasp the concept that if banks did not send junk mail through people's doors telling them that that have been pre-approved for a £10,000 loan, then people would not get into debt as readily.

I also thought that they concentrated on people who had pi$$ed their money away on credit cards, rather than also looking at people who rely on credit cards just to make ends meat.

I think that this program gave a slanted view that many bankruptees are careless bingers, who have no intention of paying back their credit, and who are just after a night out at the lenders expense.

Also, could someone explain to me who the programme is called tonight with Trevor McDonald, when his total screen time amounted to 30 seconds at the beginning and end of the show?

That Trevor McDonut seems to becoming a bit of a naughty HPC bear, he's done a few of these type of programs over the past few months as I remember.

Do the bulls think he is a doom monger? Perhaps he missed the boat and is venting his frustration. :D

Or maybe, just mabe we are in the first phase of an HPC...?

Now there's a thought....

Darth_Calculus,

We have a more "financially sophisticated" economy than we have ever had apparently, so say all the financial leeches and their backers both monetary and political.

The credit rating system has just got to be a pile of junk if one person, yes just one case (where ID fraud isn't used) is able to get anything lke 10x their gross earnings in CC debt.

I was suprised that the issue of just how easy it is to get credit cards was not really talked about. It seemed rather one sided, with interviewees contrantly blaming the Government's lax regulation on declaring yourself bankrupt, and how it was taking the easy way out.

They could not seem to grasp the concept that if banks did not send junk mail through people's doors telling them that that have been pre-approved for a £10,000 loan, then people would not get into debt as readily.

I also thought that they concentrated on people who had pi$$ed their money away on credit cards, rather than also looking at people who rely on credit cards just to make ends meat.

I think that this program gave a slanted view that many bankruptees are careless bingers, who have no intention of paying back their credit, and who are just after a night out at the lenders expense.

Also, could someone explain to me who the programme is called tonight with Trevor McDonald, when his total screen time amounted to 30 seconds at the beginning and end of the show?

It almost makes you wonder if they are planting the seed in a few minds to encourage more to do this.

I can't think what would motivate them to do this, but then I'm not particularly devious.

Anyone want to admit to being devious and hazard a guess?? :)

NDL

That Trevor McDonut seems to becoming a bit of a naughty HPC bear, he's done a few of these type of programs over the past few months as I remember.

Do the bulls think he is a doom monger? Perhaps he missed the boat and is venting his frustration. :D

Or maybe, just mabe we are in the first phase of an HPC...?

Now there's a thought....

Trevor Mc Doom Nut ? :)

Personally, I was a bit disappointed.

They could have done with an advert break, half way through, for Purple Loans and Ocean Finance etc.

Now that would have been funny.

Bankrupts should have their hands cut off, that'll teach 'em.

Guest muttley

They could have done with an advert break, half way through, for Purple Loans and Ocean Finance etc.

Now that would have been funny.

Or at least told us where the lap dancing club was.

I used to work for one of the big 4 in the credit card department. One issue that used to p1ss me off was customers who had unwittingly applied for a credit card. They would be approached in supermarkets by persons spreading the word about said supermarkets loyalty cards. They would take down the customers details and tell them a loyalty card would be in the post. Lo and behold, a few weeks later, loyalty and credit card would be received. Now, it was bad practice on behalf on the person in the supermarket - they were wanting to improve their sales. What was shocking was the banks attitude - they didn't give a monkeys. When customers complain about service it was usually flagged up to the staff so they can be prepared, but this one never was. This was after lots of angry customers getting in touch. I think it was far too convenient you see. How many people didn't actually bother calling in because they decided to keep the card once eyeing the credit level given?

Banks have got themselves into a tight spot through being greedy. They were also making massive profits as a business at the time.

I left this year so this is recent information.

BearLite,

When customers complain about service it was usually flagged up to the staff so they can be prepared, but this one never was.

So that no paper trail was ever left to show that the bank knew EXACTLY what was going on and how product pushed onto customers ???

So there you have it kids, Britain today says before you start saving for retirement, go completely MAD for 5 years living the high life on credit eating at expensive restaurants, drinking fine wines, traveling by limo and why not get yourself a few hookers too? As long as they take Visa you're laughing!! Hell, why not travel the world! Then when you feel its time to start thinking about settling down just declare yourself bankrupt and you're all set.

Who says todays younger generation has it bad?

BearLite,

When customers complain about service it was usually flagged up to the staff so they can be prepared, but this one never was.

So that no paper trail was ever left to show that the bank knew EXACTLY what was going on and how product pushed onto customers ???

Exactly!

I remember one person who did receive a letter from customer services regarding this issue was advised that there was nothing they could do because they had signed for the card.

The whole point of the complaint was that the customer had signed for a loyalty card.

Unbelievable.