House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Google To Pay A Cool Billion For Twitch

Google is to pay a billion for online gaming streaming service Twitch.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/25/twitch-google-gaming-video-site

Twitch lets people watch others play video games. Apparently the average twitch user spends 20 hours a week watching others play games. Pro games players can earn more than professional sportsmen. Google hopes Twitch will reboot their stagnant YouTube service.

Google is to pay a billion for online gaming streaming service Twitch.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/25/twitch-google-gaming-video-site

Twitch lets people watch others play video games. Apparently the average twitch user spends 20 hours a week watching others play games. Pro games players can earn more than professional sportsmen. Google hopes Twitch will reboot their stagnant YouTube service.

TWITCH

just been there

OMFG - I'm a dinosaur

Commentary snippets

"i'm not even talking about the bowser bomb - I wonder what that feels like all day"

"They're losing their smashballs"

"Oh Dude, so good, so good"

"It's a collision, it has good knock back, good startup"

"it's too phonetic in there"

"without you there is no us"

wtf ?

Thanks for that fact-packed paragraph. Presumably these games have real world financial rewards too - or are they all virtual? What game pays best at the moment (in game and from followers)?

(If I ever actually read the FT I'm subscribed to, I would have got most of the answers when this was announced back in May!)

Youtube used to be cool until Google got their claws into it. Now it's shite. I'm guessing this will go the same way.

I'm going to start a new website called Spuft, and sell it to Google for billions without working out how to monetise it.

I haven't the faintest idea what Spuft will do, but hopefully I'll sell it before anyone notices.

I'm going to start a new website called Spuft, and sell it to Google for billions without working out how to monetise it.

I haven't the faintest idea what Spuft will do, but hopefully I'll sell it before anyone notices.

It's a bubble again! :wacko:

People are paying, well maybe not so hard earned, for the never earned!

Would you like a stake in my " Big Top naked Lesbian dildo trapeze jazz circus" web site?

Obviously culminating in the Grand Piano Trebuchet, complete with naked pianist!

And obviously The Strathclyde ladies Double D accordian band!

It is content that oounts!

It's at this point where I wonder if I'm completely out of touch. I'm aware of the phenomena of watching others play video games. But I had no idea that a dedicated website existed for it, or that the sector was worth £1bn+.

It's at this point where I wonder if I'm completely out of touch. I'm aware of the phenomena of watching others play video games. But I had no idea that a dedicated website existed for it, or that the sector was worth £1bn+.

The 'sector' probably isn't worth that, the advertising.....

Plenty of Fishermen - a site that allows you to watch people replying to dating adverts in real time.

I like it