House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bendy

Gold Standard

Just what is there to stop this madness going on forever? I assume 30's Germany hyper blew up into something ridiculous due to still being gold pegged but are any currencies still this way and does it even matter if the world reserve isn't pegged to it?

Not a gold thread btw, I just don't see how TPTB can't print forever if money literally does go on trees. Of course there is then the possibility of an 'uprising' but how easy is it to recruit (bribe) one of the suppressed plebs with a new built flat (box) and a role in the force with a tazer and water cannon?

Jeez I hope I'm wrong and that here is right but our track record of 10 years now isn't anything to hark about is it :(

Off to bump the bump when drunk topic in OT, had sunny ciders :)

One interesting stat that got me thinking about what money actually is, is the interesting fact that in the history of the Bank of England, it took 300 years to create the first 1 trillion pounds, to create the second trillion took........10 years!

Personally I think that the fact our currency and all others are not tied to something real (could be gold, could be silver, could be coal, could be oil) means that we will eventually get to a point where it is shown to be completely out of control, at that point it will be devalue pretty quickly.

The thing is, how long 1 year, 10 years,100 years?

To my way of thinking the creation of pounds is completely out of control already, but this isn't even on the radar screen of many many people who work in finance or are considered to be financially savvy.

Weimar's hyperinflation was 1921-23 so nothing to do with the 30s depression.

Just what is there to stop this madness going on forever? I assume 30's Germany hyper blew up into something ridiculous due to still being gold pegged but are any currencies still this way and does it even matter if the world reserve isn't pegged to it?

Not a gold thread btw, I just don't see how TPTB can't print forever if money literally does go on trees. Of course there is then the possibility of an 'uprising' but how easy is it to recruit (bribe) one of the suppressed plebs with a new built flat (box) and a role in the force with a tazer and water cannon?

Jeez I hope I'm wrong and that here is right but our track record of 10 years now isn't anything to hark about is it :(

Off to bump the bump when drunk topic in OT, had sunny ciders :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Money-Dies-nightmare-Hyper-Inflation/dp/1906964440/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406314469&sr=8-1&keywords=when+money+dies

I would suggest reading this on the German hyperinflation possible when not drinking cider. :lol:

One interesting stat that got me thinking about what money actually is, is the interesting fact that in the history of the Bank of England, it took 300 years to create the first 1 trillion pounds, to create the second trillion took........10 years!

Personally I think that the fact our currency and all others are not tied to something real (could be gold, could be silver, could be coal, could be oil) means that we will eventually get to a point where it is shown to be completely out of control, at that point it will be devalue pretty quickly.

The thing is, how long 1 year, 10 years,100 years?

To my way of thinking the creation of pounds is completely out of control already, but this isn't even on the radar screen of many many people who work in finance or are considered to be financially savvy.

So the Bank of England, the first English joint stock bank and destined to become the first among all banking institutions, was brought into being, not so much as an instrument to promote national industry and to encourage commerce, as a device for getting an unpopular king out of a financial hole.

P4, the rise and growth of joint stock banking.

The BoE primary reason for existing was to allow the British monarch of the time to fund war. It was never created to stimulate the economy.

Weimar's hyperinflation was 1921-23 so nothing to do with the 30s depression.

The Weimar hyperinflation had an lasting impact on the German psyche which endures to the present, and the national reaction to the Depression that came in 1929/30 was much more severe than in the US as a consequence. It's perhaps too much to argue that the events of 1921-24 led directly to Hitler's election but their legacy was a corrosive presence throughout the decade.