House Price Crash Forum

Peak Password

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-use-weak-passwords,news-19171.html

Long time coming but Microsoft have got the idea.

It got to the point at the last large corporate I worked at that I ended up just Sellotaping all of the passwords onto the front of my laptop.

There comes a point where remembering 10 character alpha-numeric passwords with mandatory capitalisation / symbols replaced on a three monthly non-reusable basis becomes something only IT security geeks still get excited about. Particularly when the NSA and other agencies all have access anyway (and I don't believe for a second that they aren't all engaged in corporate espionage.. especially after the revelation about the NSA and Brazilian mining interests).

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

you could store them on a txt file on a usb stick using a basic encryption that you can decipher

Using a password?

I'm sure my AOL email account bars access at busy periods by demanding that I change my password. Is that likely?

HOLA4412

Don't worry about having to remember passwords. Just use the "I forgot my password" facility. Every time.

No need to remember anything.

That's what I do for non financial websites, but most banks/share services want you to phone up and/or recieve a new password in the post... which is understandable but tedious.

HOLA4413

you could store them on a txt file on a usb stick using a basic encryption that you can decipher

After that heart bleed business I had to set up about 20 new unique passwords all in one go. I new i'd never remember that many, so I came up with a way of writing them down securely,

Each password has two elements, a unique first part which I write down and a common second "master password" part that I remember.

The first part of each password is based on the names of characters from a film, but with some of the letters changed for other things, so if I haven't got my list I can have a good go at guessing it.

The second part is an obscure word with other characters added on,

Simples

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

After that heart bleed business I had to set up about 20 new unique passwords all in one go. I new i'd never remember that many, so I came up with a way of writing them down securely,

Each password has two elements, a unique first part which I write down and a common second "master password" part that I remember.

The first part of each password is based on the names of characters from a film, but with some of the letters changed for other things, so if I haven't got my list I can have a good go at guessing it.

The second part is an obscure word with other characters added on,

Simples

Pretty much what I do, although I use chapter headings from a specific book. If it needs changing often it gets a number on the end, usually the current month.

I basically have 3 levels of password, a couple of very basic ones for sites such as this, worst case scenario is somebody can see my tweets or pretend they are me on Facebook (I don't use either so any posts would be suspect), level 2 is for stuff linked to things that might link to a source of money, i.e. something like ebay and then level 3 is top level passwords for stuff I would be bothered if people accessed. There are few and far between and are all individually unique.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Not bothered about any passwords except for banking really, and find myself using the 'forgotten my password' thing quite regularly. All the banking ones I have written down in a coded form, one hard copy secreted about the house, and another as an obscurely named .doc file on my computer. Nobody reading either of them would have a clue what they meant.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I thought this, doing the rounds on the internet not so long ago, as rather apt here..........

Creating a password:

cabbage

"Sorry, the password must contain 8 or more characters."

boiled cabbage

"Sorry, the password must contain at least 1 numeric character."

1 boiled cabbage

"Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces."

50f*ckingboiledcabbages

"Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character."

50F*CKINGboiledcabbages

"Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively."

50F*ckingBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArse,IfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessImmediately

"Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation."

NowIAmGettingReallyPissedOff50F*ckingBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYourArseIfYou
DontGiveMeAccessImmediately

"Sorry, that password is already in use!"

HOLA4420

Last night I was about to order something online - had forgotten password as usual - but in the few minutes it took for them to email me the 'reset' I thought, no, I can do without it.

I wonder whether the wretched passwords result in many such second thoughts.

HOLA4421

I am open. I don't need passwords! I don't use "difficult" passswords, and am happy to shop on liine! I do not do internet banking!

Archived