House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Dora Bryan: National Institution, Ruined By Property And Died In State Funded Nursing Home

Just to show property isn't a one way bet...the perceived paper profits often eaten up by cataclysmic costs once you start messing with them...as indeed Dora did trying to convert her hotel to flats. Virtually bankrupt as a result, and ending her days council funded in a home.

this article from 2008...''Dora had earned millions during her career but after the liquidators had finished with her she just had one small flat''.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1054483/Comedy-legend-Dora-Bryan-saved-brink-despair-uplifting-70-year-romance.html

Obituary today.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28451502

If Dora and her husband both went into State funded care, they didn't even own the one bed flat they moved from. Sad business.

Just to show property isn't a one way bet...the perceived paper profits often eaten up by cataclysmic costs once you start messing with them...as indeed Dora did trying to convert her hotel to flats. Virtually bankrupt as a result, and ending her days council funded in a home.

this article from 2008...''Dora had earned millions during her career but after the liquidators had finished with her she just had one small flat''.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1054483/Comedy-legend-Dora-Bryan-saved-brink-despair-uplifting-70-year-romance.html

Obituary today.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28451502

I remember back in 1974, I was working on the Brighton seafront Volks’ railway which runs along the beach south of Kemptown, the area where Dora Bryan lived.

I heard from one of her neighbours who used the same pub. That she had heard that Enoch Powell was going to announce that he was going to urge people to vote Labour in the up and coming General election. This was a crucial time as Labour were currently in hung Parliament.

This rumour that seemed to have originated from her was well before the press had got hold of it.

I wondered at the time whether she broke some embargo or was in possession of some information excluded from the press.

You can be worth billions of pounds but at the point of death it becomes meaningless

"The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r,

And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,

Awaits alike th'inevitable hour.

The paths of glory lead but to the grave."

"The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r,

And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,

Awaits alike th'inevitable hour.

The paths of glory lead but to the grave."

Still buys an advantage for your progeny. And politicians will do as much as they can get away with to make sure some are born more equal and the wealth is passed over untaxed. Victorian Society here we come.

You can be worth billions of pounds but at the point of death it becomes meaningless

There are no pockets in shrouds.

Do people on their death bed say "Oh I wish I'd had one more ferrari, or one more BTL flat?" or is it "I wish I could have another hour with you"?

Remember seeing Dora and her husband walking along the beach at Studland many years ago.

Many actors die in poverty, Charles Hawtree didn't have a penny to his name when he died

I think the composer Vivaldi died in poverty too. Had a reputation as a bit of a party animal, especially considering he was a priest.

There are no pockets in shrouds.?

Mr B had an old aunt who would honestly have taken every penny with her if she could.

I have never known anyone so tight. She used to get her cleaning lady cum carer to do her shopping, and then moan like hell if she hadn't made a special trip to a different shop for the butter, where it was 1p cheaper.

I used to call her Queen Midas.