House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Tartan Od - The Commonwealth Games Thread

From what I have seen so far it reminds me of a local primary school re-enactment of the Olympic opening ceremony.

Just serves to show just how fukced Scotland will be if they vote for independence!!

A total cliche of all thing Jock, with an overbearing load of tartan.

I watched about ten seconds of this tartan ceremony. In Glasgow parlance it's "pure shite". And it's the city of my birth.

Yes, it makes you wonder whether the rest of us should have a vote. It seems they have opted for every cliche about Scotland and rammed them into the first half an hour.

I am expecting Rab C Nesbit to make an appearance - I suspect he will.

From what I have seen so far it reminds me of a local primary school re-enactment of the Olympic opening ceremony.

Just serves to show just how fukced Scotland will be if the vote for independence!!

A total cliche of all thing Jock, with an overbearing load of tartan.

Yep, was thinking similar.

Tartan, bagpipes, Rod Stewart, Susan Boyle, more bagpipes, drunk people dancing around an odd assortment of chairs.

That was sh1t.

Tartan, bagpipes, Rod Stewart, Susan Boyle, more bagpipes, drunk people dancing around an odd assortment of chairs.

That was sh1t.

You forgot the bloke jumping around in his underpants.

Do you think they will do a live-link to Rolf Harris's cell for the kids appeal?

Its so bad its good. Like one of those sharknado films on pick TV :)

Its like Brigadoon on MDMA

I just hope they don't boo England !! Although God Save the Queen got a fair go so probably not.

BTW the queen - in Celtic park - with God save the queen blaring out - and red white and blue flying overhead. A rather large number of Celtic fans will be vomiting into their Buckfast as I type.

Fantastic :)

I think the opening ceremony was more honest and made more sense than the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony. Sure there are loads of clich├ęs but those are things Scotland is famous for. We were never going to be competing with the 2012 budget either.

I note that there are loads of people of all nationalities in the parade using selfie gadgets or/and waving to themselves on the big screen.

Reason?

Exactly. Completely wrong to compare.

For London, there was a huge huge budget. And the hype from the BBC for months beforehand was incessant. I only found out it was on today. If it's not happening in London, it ain't happening. And we'll sneer and give it such a small budget it can't possibly compete.

To be honest it's in Scotland so I expect to see Scottish things.

The only bits that annoy me are the fact that there is a Royal Family involved trying to hog the limelight as though it was anything to do with them. There is a stupid 'national' anthem about saving some queen or whatever and smashing the scots.

I note that the England team have been briefed on how to behave if they are booed by the crowd. I hope they do after the sneering English and London media have had their say.

Nothing really new in that situation.

The Commonwealth Games always comes across as a Ruritanian version of the Olympics regardless of where it is held.

Similar disparaging comparisons were made between Sydney hosts of the Olympics in 2000 and Manchester which staged the Commonwealth Games in 2002.

As for the Royals they are always present at Commonwealth Games opening ceremonies as the whole gig is really designed around the monarch as a head of a "family of nations" or whatever cliche is in use now. The event would make no sense without them as it is really a celebration of the fag end of Empire In fact it used to be called the British Empire and Commonwealth Games as late as 1966

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Games

I note that there are loads of people of all nationalities in the parade using selfie gadgets or/and waving to themselves on the big screen.

Reason?

I was thinking that as well. There was one eijit who was viewing his possibly only appearance at a Commonwealth games through the screen of an iPAD.

Whoever arranged this was clearly on drugs - so I suppose that's quite fitting for a Glasgow games :)

Maybe the plan was to have a crap opening ceremony which will attract loads of critical comments from England, which will then get Scots angry and motivate them to vote Yes in September.