House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marshmellow

Apartments In Versailles, Paris

I have to work in Versailles for around 4 months from November to March

Im looking at apartments and they are literally about 700euros a month for a 16m2 room with not even an oven. This is outrageous. http://www.seloger.com/annonces/locations/appartement/versailles-78/notre-dame/91094475.htm?ci=780646&idq=all&idtt=1&idtypebien=all&orientation=VueetOrientation&pxmax=700&tri=d_dt_crea&bd=Li_LienAnn_1

What is more is that you have to pay some sort of agency fee of about 700euros that you never get back. This is even worse than London.

I am thinking of renting a holiday apartment instead for about 1100euros a month. At least then I dont have to think about anything, no bills, furniture, cutlery etc and it will be nice. Maybe I could rent one for 6 weeks up to Christmas, go back home, for 2 weeks, then rent another one for the rest of the period.

I have to work in Versailles for around 4 months from November to March

I am thinking of renting a holiday apartment instead for about 1100euros a month. At least then I dont have to think about anything, no bills, furniture, cutlery etc and it will be nice. Maybe I could rent one for 6 weeks up to Christmas, go back home, for 2 weeks, then rent another one for the rest of the period.

Try Pierre et Vacances.

You will probably not be able to rent anything anyway in the private rented sector unless you can provide 3 years salary records, an established French bank account, tax statements, a guarantee from your boss etc etc. Your take home will also need to be 3x the rent (which it probably is). Then you'll be in a queue with all the other folks wanted that 700 euro shoe box.

For a P&V type place you just pay the 4 months in advance or give a credit card.

OK thank you

Yes my salary is more than 3x the rent but I am not used to paying this and I feel like a mug paying it

Im also not being paid by the French company

In the past I have often used sites like AirBNB

It seems no matter what Ill be paying more than 1k euros a month. I dont mind renting a crap room with no strings attached and buying a mattress/blow up bed and dumping it on the floor in situations like this, but not at 700 euros a month + all the beaurocracy that is going to come with it. It must be better for me to pay 1.1-2k euros and at least get a nice holiday home. I am just trying to justify this price to myself

Theres some 'international researcher' accommodation near the centre of Paris that its possible to rent, and although that is a bit cheaper (maybe 650 euros a month) and easier to get I would probably be spending 150EUR/month on transport and then my commute time

Theres some 'international researcher' accommodation near the centre of Paris that its possible to rent, and although that is a bit cheaper (maybe 650 euros a month) and easier to get I would probably be spending 150EUR/month on transport and then my commute time

For Versailles you can commute from Montparnasse or St Lazare via la Defense. Of those the Montparnasse area is a better bet. It is about 20 minutes on the RER (a kind of overcrowded commuter train that smells of pish and runs on badly maintained track - a bit like London I guess).

Did you check the Gites de France website? You may find someone who wants to rent out a Gite at that time of year. Do not use Craig's List - it is full of scams. You may be able to find rooms in PAP.fr

I'm not sure if that is a joke but I had seriously looked at that

They actually say: "

Are you looking for accommodation in Paris for professional reasons such as a training course, an exhibition or a temporary placement?

The Paris Indigo Campsite offers spacious and comfortable accommodation all year round with our cottages (television and wifi) and gypsy caravans. Come back to a green environment and a friendly, peaceful atmosphere after a day of work or training in Paris."

But it seems like its still over 80euros a night

I thought that. Made me think it must be full of economic migrants.

Anyway, it seems to be even more expensive than the apartment!

When I worked in Geneva I rented a mobile home off season for a bit, it was just cheaper than the cheapest hotel room (28 eur vs 32 eur night) but the campsite only opened in April and by the end of May it was very expensive.

> Whether you come with your tent, caravan or motor home, you will find flat, shady and easily accessible pitches all year round.

it might be my eyes but they appear to be closed from Christmas to Easter.

There are Roma Gypsie tent villages in the woods around Versailles which would be a good, low cost option.

When I first worked in Paris I slept under the desk.

I thought that. Made me think it must be full of economic migrants.

Anyway, it seems to be even more expensive than the apartment!

EDIT: I see you've seen it already and found the price too!

That must be the only type of property advert where being in a shady area is a selling point.

Versailles is very nice! You want to try a crap banlieue, try St Denys, and learn Arabic. :blink: