House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Sheffield Tops Yorkshire’S Council House Waiting List With 30,000

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-tops-yorkshire-s-council-house-waiting-list-with-30-000-1-6742227

Sheffield has the highest waiting list for council houses in Yorkshire.

Sheffield Council says more than 28,600 people are waiting to be housed.

But officials added only a ‘small proportion’ are actively seeking properties, with fewer than 7,000 people putting in a bid since October. The figures have been issued in response to the GMB union naming Sheffield as the place in South Yorkshire with the highest number of people on a council housing waiting list.

The GMB’s figures are from April 2013.

They put the number of households in the city on the housing waiting list at that time at more than 60,000.

But the council said those figures were ‘misleading’ and a review of the list carried out over the past year had greatly cut numbers.

However, even with the reduction, the city still has more people on the register than places such as Leeds, with 20,000 according to the GMB’s figures, and Bradford, with 14,800.

Great promotion for BTL, you now know where there is demand.

So why doesn't the council just build the number of houses needed.

Recouping the money via rents.

Simple.

There's always the Park Hill estate...... the infamous walkways in the sky....but they are covered, plus all those communal stairwells. But maybe it's key access only these days since the refurb

There was 100 000+ on the list, many people build up waiting time due to the way the properties are allocated.

Sheffield has just 40 000 units of council housing, it used to have twice as many 30 years ago, but RTB and demolition have drastically reduced the number of properties available to rent from the council/ALMO.

Drive around Sheffield and you can see empty council houses awaiting demolition (Arbourthorne for example). Park hill was sold for £1 and the council paid millions to evict 1000s of people and now bails out Urban Slash with multi million loans, so they can attempt to sell properties fro a profit.

£165k to clad a flat that could be built for £30k. Nobody in Sheffield is going to pay that for a flat at Park Hill, so properties there are being sold to HAs.

The council had the cheek to say PH was not in demand, I bidded for housing there multiple times and was never successful.

Simple.

More OPM spending- Other People's Money? Or free QE never runs out, with over inflated land values to buy, and tapped out. struggling would be tenants. It only goes up, and when it doesn't, just use more OPM.

All those steep hills, more HTB and council rented houses, paying high values for plots, materials, labour. Build over the large dry-ski-slope site that closed down a couple of years ago.

Housing Market Bulletin Supplement March 2014 (PDF)

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/sheffield-profile/housing-facts-and-figures/housing-market-bulletin.html

OPMrichesHPI.jpg

post-12306-0-38534900-1406029782_thumb.jpg

I'm on the sheffield list myself. There are about 25 or so 2 and 3 bed maisonettes currently on first come first served (just sign up and walk into one) but no one obviously wants them. They arent in a nice area though to be honest.

I'm currently just letting my waiting time build up to the point where I can get a palce in a better area. I imagine a lot of people are doing the same.

To be fair, there are a hell of a lot of council/HA properties in sheffield, and the north side of the city is almost like one big estate, one are blending into the next. For me, as with many others, it's just seen as the normal thing to move house, then put your name down again on the list, just in case. It takes 20 mins, and then your waiting time is building up, and you don't need to think about it till you need to move.

Simple.

No, just cut housing benefit and let the private sector sort it out.

That'll work.

Why not do both? They are not mutually exclusive are they?

Lol ! no in practical terms I'd say they're mutual inclusive !

Simple.

Agree 100%. It is simple.

I really don't understand why they don't do that. I bet they would recoup the money in less than 10 years.

Perhaps they have NIMBYs there too?

I'm on the sheffield list myself. There are about 25 or so 2 and 3 bed maisonettes currently on first come first served (just sign up and walk into one) but no one obviously wants them. They arent in a nice area though to be honest.

I'm currently just letting my waiting time build up to the point where I can get a palce in a better area. I imagine a lot of people are doing the same.

To be fair, there are a hell of a lot of council/HA properties in sheffield, and the north side of the city is almost like one big estate, one are blending into the next. For me, as with many others, it's just seen as the normal thing to move house, then put your name down again on the list, just in case. It takes 20 mins, and then your waiting time is building up, and you don't need to think about it till you need to move.

What makes a nice area.....nice people. ;)

So there are empty council houses? How much are the rents for these maisonettes?

I really don't understand why they don't do that. I bet they would recoup the money in less than 10 years.

No its because its the 'state', its a political phobia.To be fair born of some bad experiences.

However things have deteriorated so badly that actually this might be the only way out of the mess.

Before we get there however, there will be attempts to get private behemoths to fund swathes of rented accommodation.

....are you still waiting?

So there are empty council houses? How much are the rents for these maisonettes?

Both 3 bed and 2 bed are around £78 - £99 per week, the upper priced ones tend to be furnished.

Take a look, you dont have to be registered to see the properties. https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk

There's always the Park Hill estate...... the infamous walkways in the sky....but they are covered, plus all those communal stairwells. But maybe it's key access only these days since the refurb

Mostly empty still waiting for the refurbishment to be completed.

It may take a decade or more to finish it off, if only we were in a recovery.

But officials added only a ‘small proportion’ are actively seeking properties, with fewer than 7,000 people putting in a bid since October

They couldn't even sell 78 to private landlords or freehold tenants, HAs have had to step in.

Oh dear! :lol: