House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Ropey 3G Coverage?

I've noticed recently that the 3g coverage on my phone is become rather poor not just at work but also at home. My phone is a google Nexus 4, and I'm on the giffgaff network which is technically O2. If I were cynical I would suggest that 3g services are suffering as the networks roll out 4G.

Or there could be something up with my phone, quite possible.

Or I could just be unlucky and 'network upgrades' have left my preferred locations falling down the gap of the local transmitters.

Has anyone heard or experienced similar recently?

I use orange 3G and since the introduction of 4G my mobile internet connection has gradually deteriorated. It has now become so slow my old dial-up connection was much faster!

I've heard similar stories from friends so I think the cynical answer is the correct one.

EE seem to have some problems as they're trying to consolidate two separate networks, but that's not - as far as I know - the case with O2.

But, if you take a given area of a couple of square miles in town and imagine there used to be two O2 transmitters at opposite edges of that square, and they are now sharing a mast with another operator, the power levels at each then need adjusting so they don't overlap and this does change where the "blind spots" are.

When you say coverage is getting worse, do you mean as in "where there used to be coverage, now, there is nothing, or was 3G now GPRS", or "there is no coverage at all where there used to be some?"

The OFCOM site finder database shows you where operators' cells are:

http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk

The map is a bit crap and takes some patience.

It doesn't show change history though.

EE seem to have some problems as they're trying to consolidate two separate networks, but that's not - as far as I know - the case with O2.

But, if you take a given area of a couple of square miles in town and imagine there used to be two O2 transmitters at opposite edges of that square, and they are now sharing a mast with another operator, the power levels at each then need adjusting so they don't overlap and this does change where the "blind spots" are.

When you say coverage is getting worse, do you mean as in "where there used to be coverage, now, there is nothing, or was 3G now GPRS", or "there is no coverage at all where there used to be some?"

The OFCOM site finder database shows you where operators' cells are:

http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk

The map is a bit crap and takes some patience.

It doesn't show change history though.

I live and work in built up areas there's really no excuse if the operator is struggling.

The problem is generally low 3g signal now rather than a high signal and frequently dropping to GPRS or nothing at all. And GPRS is useless on a modern smartphone. There is a definite deterioration in service whilst my location profile is the same.

Edit: After having no proper signal for an hour, I'm now able to limp round the Internet. It's just random.

Most of my friends use O2 and are having similar problems to me, although my connection is poorer. It is rare now that my phone displays 3G, it is usually drops down to GPRS or E.

Broken local transmitter

New local transmitter fairly nearby with power levels reduced on the one you normally connect to but new one is too far away/too many buildings in the way

Completely saturated with users (specific times of day?)

Degraded antenna performance in phone

Battery degradation in phone causing OS to "prefer" GPRS over 3G to save power

Local source of interference

It's all a bit vague.

As a long-time O2 user, I find coverage very varied. Travelling by train a lot in recent months (particularly over the winter when there was all the trouble with lines being flooded and swept away) I found availability almost as patchy as the live departures board I was trying to access!

As a long-time O2 user, I find coverage very varied. Travelling by train a lot in recent months (particularly over the winter when there was all the trouble with lines being flooded and swept away) I found availability almost as patchy as the live departures board I was trying to access!

to be fair, i think O2 are probably one of the better ones

not very impressed with EE

With Orange. Noticed that 3G became ropey about 6 months ago - fine when stationary, but it's now a chocolate teapot when on the train.

I was thinking of jumping ship to O2, but now the HPC hive mind has killed that idea... damn. I have no intention of changing my phone - I just want the service that I signed up for 2 years ago!

So far on this thread there hasn't been any complaints about Three or Vodafone, anyone have any experience of these companies? Possible alternatives to O2/Orange?

What people don't generally know is that the networks have outsourced/offshored much of their network operations to Ericsson. The mobile telecoms business has gone much the same way as IT and that means running the networks largely from India. It's the same old story - cheaper not better.

As for EE, the orange network is being run down and the T-mobile network being enlarged.

So when politicians go on about high skilled, high paying, hi-tech jobs in the UK, it's so much hot air. They could have made it a condition of the 3g/4g licences that the networks were operated from the EU at least but didn't.

We use EE for our home broadband since we can't get anything via fixed line (only ADSL) and no cable here.

The Orange transmitter was broken for about 6 weeks. That's the one with the 4G signal.

"The UK's fastest and most reliable network" - I'd accept the first claim, but not the second.

So far on this thread there hasn't been any complaints about Three or Vodafone, anyone have any experience of these companies? Possible alternatives to O2/Orange?

not really on a phone as such, but I use a 'three' dongle for internet on laptop while I am away all week. The signal for that is pretty good.Plenty fast enough to watch you tube and stuff. Assume phone would be the same? I'd change to it (from o2) on my phone, but the problem then is that I'd have no signal at all when at home at the weekends.

The signal on my phone (o2) varies all the time greatly. I mean it changes every few seconds. 3G, E, G, H, and so on.

I'm Vodafone, and so far no complaints, other than when on trains going at full pelt. All I'll say is that I have an iPhone 5 and a Samsumg Omnia Wp7 both on Vodafone, and actually the Samsung seems to get a consistently better signal than the iPhone. I have always thought the microwave circuitry on iPhones is a bit suspect, but then I guess having radio circuits doesn't sit well with what is basically a fully functional computer.crammed into a tiny space.

I'm Vodafone, and so far no complaints, other than when on trains going at full pelt. All I'll say is that I have an iPhone 5 and a Samsumg Omnia Wp7 both on Vodafone, and actually the Samsung seems to get a consistently better signal than the iPhone. I have always thought the microwave circuitry on iPhones is a bit suspect, but then I guess having radio circuits doesn't sit well with what is basically a fully functional computer.crammed into a tiny space.

Mike Livingstone, your life is sunshine and ******ing lollipops.

Pile money into your kids pensions, it won't get stolen by the state. No chance whatsoever.

Turns out that i) I was right and ii) its a network problem.

Giffgaff are looking to change their offering so that if you want to have unlimited data you have to pay 67% more than you do now or even as extreme as move to another network. Either way, £12 a month is not going to get you unlimited data for long.

Call me cynical again but I can't see them investing in the network* if people pay more, this is an attempt to get the high cost, low yield members to move elsewhere. Fine by me...

*As they're only a MVNO I don't suppose they can invest, just shove more money to their parent O2 to use a bit more of their network.

Living in the Norfolk countryside there are really only 2 carriers to choose from:

Vodafone - Gets a good signal but have no 3g coverage, even in what I consider to be big towns.

Three - When you get a signal it's always going to be 3g, not so good out in the wilderness but if you use a phone more as a smartphone and less to talk then this is the only option. Also it roams over to EE and gets a 2g signal when there are no 3 transmitters, so in reality you get T-Mobile, Orange and 3 all from one company.

When I lived in Wales this year for a while my 3 phone always had a really good signal even in remote locations. Sticking the transmitters on big hills seems to be the big difference between here and Norfolk.

Nexus 4 giffgaff £12 unlimited internet.... waste of £12 its garbage, bad signal and so slow. They are of course trying to flog me a new phone for 4G service

Nexus 4 giffgaff £12 unlimited internet.... waste of £12 its garbage, bad signal and so slow. They are of course trying to flog me a new phone for 4G service

Snap.

Are you me?

Trying to offer an unlimited service over a 3G or 4G network is always going to meet with disaster, since capacity - of a wireless network - and most especially of that nature - is by definition not only finite, but very limited.