House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Bizarre Bbc Self Promotion

Look at this article about Evan Davis replacing Paxman on Newsnight - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28401058

Evan Davis is to replace Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight, the BBC has announced.

The Radio 4 Today programme presenter was the BBC's economics editor for six-and-a-half years and previously worked for Newsnight from 1997 to 2001.

The news was revealed on the day the BBC's annual report was published. It also stated that audiences spent 18.5 hours with the BBC each week.

That is an hour less than 2012/2013. The figure includes radio, TV and online use.

But 96% of UK adults still use the BBC each week.

"Spending time with the BBC" is an odd turn of phase in itself.

I would have thought John Humphrys would have been a more natural choice. But I guess the "Today" programme is more important to the BBC than Newsnight and he might not have wanted to do it anyway.

What do you expect?

On the 10 o'clock news last week they spent several minutes opining about the start of the bbc proms. Blatant advertorial rather than news.

Look at this article about Evan Davis replacing Paxman on Newsnight - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28401058

"Spending time with the BBC" is an odd turn of phase in itself.

I suspect some poor comms person has sweated blood over finding a single phrase to cover all of the ways you access the BBC; radio, internet, products, mobile, telly etc.

Evan Davis is far too soft a replacement for Paxo.

Boo! Can't we have Kirsty Allsopp instead?

Non-nonsense, totally objective Stephanie Flanders would have been perfect for the role

Shame she's over at JP Morgan now.

Evan Davis is far too soft a replacement for Paxo.

I really hate that program of his where he interviews "champions of industry" or whatever, and spends the whole time drooling over their achievements. He is exactly the opposite of Paxo. He should be presenting reports on fluffy kittens stuck up trees, and funny knobbly shaped potatoes.

I really hate that program of his where he interviews "champions of industry" or whatever, and spends the whole time drooling over their achievements. He is exactly the opposite of Paxo. He should be presenting reports on fluffy kittens stuck up trees, and funny knobbly shaped potatoes.

Agree.

It's a sycophantic exercise in corporate speak. "Look at me I'm brilliant because.........."

If Davis is the best they've got then they may as well wind it up now. Odd that neither Matlis nor that shouty Scottish woman appear to have got a look in either. Middle-aged white bloke replaced by middle-aged white bloke who will give politicians an easy ride. Says it all really.

How can anyone take Evan Davis seriously?

"In the corridors of the BBC, the esteemed economics editor is often referred to as Tinsel Tits, on account of his rumoured pierced nipples. He also said to have tattooed arms and even the intimate ornamentation favoured by Prince Albert."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/evan-davis-new-man-of-today-760250.html

96% seriously? Thats just of the people they monitor isn't it? I think 38% would be much more accurate - old people that get it for free, kids that don't know any better and who the f else watches this crap in this day and age?

I get the impression the Newsnight audience is in terminal decline and mostly a tiny number of old duffers, that haven't discovered on-demand, and still watch broadcast TV with their bedtime whisky.

Probably too much to hope for that people have grown tired of being told what to think by a cabal of tedious Oxford PPE graduates but possibly some effect in this vein.

I suspect some poor comms person has sweated blood over finding a single phrase to cover all of the ways you access the BBC; radio, internet, products, mobile, telly etc.

"Being interfered with by the BBC" should cover it.