House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

The Truth About Conspiracy Theories Is That Some Require Considering

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-truth-about-conspiracy-theories-is-that-some-require-considering-9616863.html

The Greeks tell a story against themselves about their tendency to believe in conspiracy theories. They relate how God decided that he would give every nation as a gift a special national characteristic. On the appointed day, representatives of the nations of the world entered the divine presence and were handed their gifts. The Americans received optimism, the French elegance, the British stoicism, the Russians courage, the Iranians cunning, and so on.

The Greek delegation was delayed and arrived late just as the other nations were leaving. God apologised and explained to them that he was sorry but he had already given away the most desirable characteristics and there were none left. The Greeks were enraged and protested furiously, shouting "so you too, God, have joined the plot against us as we always expected you would. Go on, tell us who is paying you and why do you conspire against us?" Angered in turn, God said: "Very well, you Greeks will have a gift in keeping with your accusations. In future, it will be part of your national character to always believe in conspiracy to explain everything that happens to you."

I was first told this story by a Greek Cypriot historian in 1975, a year after the Turkish invasion and part occupation of Cyprus. His point was that one reason for the disaster was that the Greeks and Greek Cypriots had been too prone to see politics in terms of plots and conspiracies and forgot the over-riding strategic fact that Cyprus is 600 miles from Athens and 40 miles from Turkey.

Conspiracy theories are damaging because they enable individuals, communities and governments to divert attention from their real problems and shift the blame for their failures elsewhere. Within hours of the shooting down of the Malaysian airliner over Ukraine, such theories were swirling around about who exactly shot it down and why commercial airliners were being routed over a war zone where two military aircraft had recently been destroyed by missiles.

Go back a month and look at the capture of much of northern Iraq by a few thousand fighters of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis) and its allies in June. This was one of the most shameful and unnecessary defeats in history and happened because the Iraqi army and state was rotted by sectarianism and corruption.

Considering the various threads we've got going with talks of conspiracy what better than to have a conspiracy thread.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-truth-about-conspiracy-theories-is-that-some-require-considering-9616863.html

Considering the various threads we've got going with talks of conspiracy what better than to have a conspiracy thread.

I've read in the MSM that conspiracy theories weren't popular before the Internet and that people only entertain them because it's psychologically more comforting to believe that our destinies are the plaything of callous psychopaths as opposed to being the product of randomness and incompetence.

Yes, really comforting.

Presumably, in the light of one or two recent events, that standard MSM line is due for some revision, a wee respray maybe?

picture-5.jpg
"I Was Absolutely Shocked At What I Read," Congressman Calls For Release Of Secret 9/11 Documents

20140730_911.jpg

“I was absolutely shocked by what I read... What was so surprising was that those whom we thought we could trust really disappointed me. I cannot go into it any more than that. I had to sign an oath that what I read had to remain confidential. But the information I read disappointed me greatly.”

Almost on cue!

I've read in the MSM that conspiracy theories weren't popular before the Internet and that people only entertain them because it's psychologically more comforting to believe that our destinies are the plaything of callous psychopaths as opposed to being the product of randomness and incompetence.

Yes, really comforting.

Presumably, in the light of one or two recent events, that standard MSM line is due for some revision, a wee respray maybe?

The term 'conspiracy theory' only came into widespread usage after the JFK assassination and, in particular, after the Warren Commission concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. Such people who had the temerity to question its conclusions were derided as 'conspiracy theorists.'

logically, the use of the term usually makes no sense. For example, the official story of 9/11 is that a conspiracy of Muslims led by a man in a cave brought the Towers down. This is not classed as a conspiracy theory but people who question it are classified as conspiracy theorists.

Yes, really comforting.

If only at the time of Guy Fawkes there was the internet. I wonder if the official narrative would have been so believed, all rather convenient finding everyone just in time to stop the plot. Almost as if someone else was planning it.

If only at the time of Guy Fawkes there was the internet. I wonder if the official narrative would have been so believed, all rather convenient finding everyone just in time to stop the plot. Almost as if someone else was planning it.

I'm pretty sure Francis Walsingham was already fingered as being behind one or two schemes pre the Internet

Re. the Guy Faux (faux, get it? ho ho), Webster Tarpley's been there, done that. I recall maybe 20 years ago the Times printing a small piece about someone having dug out the receipt for the gunpowder and that it was sold as duff grade stuff that probably wouldn't have gone off anyway (I'll try and see if that ever made it to the Internet, quite a lot doesn't, later on)

I'm pretty sure Francis Walsingham was already fingered as being behind one or two schemes pre the Internet

Re. the Guy Faux (faux, get it? ho ho), Webster Tarpley's been there, done that. I recall maybe 20 years ago the Times printing a small piece about someone having dug out the receipt for the gunpowder and that it was sold as duff grade stuff that probably wouldn't have gone off anyway (I'll try and see if that ever made it to the Internet, quite a lot doesn't, later on)

I read somewhere that the plot was originally scheduled for October but Sir Robert Cecil changed the opening date of Parliament because "Remember, remember the fifth of November" was a catchier rhyme.

All the foregoing conspiracies pale to insignificance when you consider the grabs conspiracy that is government in 2014. Career politicians will join any party that will have them. Once in parliament, they will lie, collude with school and university friends, cheat, defraud the exchequer, exploit and, of course, deny everything when exposed in the newspapers until forced (usually by promise of elevation to the peerage) to resign.

No wonder conspiracy theories are so popular.

No wonder conspiracy theories are so popular.

Indeed. Conspiracies grow when people realize they can't trust the 'authorities'... the bigger, more intrusive and corrupt the government becomes, the more conspiracy theories will flourish.

Indeed. Conspiracies grow when people realize they can't trust the 'authorities'... the bigger, more intrusive and corrupt the government becomes, the more conspiracy theories will flourish.

There is a distinction between the question of whether conspiracies actually occur and whether people think conspiracies happen.

There is a distinction between the question of whether conspiracies actually occur and whether people think conspiracies happen.

...or whether people KNOW they happen.

Sorry, I meant to write 'conspiracy theories'.

People who believe they can trust the 'authorities' rarely believe in conspiracy theories. People who know the 'authorities' are lying scum who care only about themselves believe just about every conspiracy theory.

This is why conspiracy theories were common in the Soviet Union; even if the government told the truth, no-one with two brain cells would believe them. Trust in government has now declined almost as far in the West.

Guest eight

As I've mentioned here before, I have quite an interest in the McCann case. After some quite extensive reading my best guess is that it's a manufactured conspiracy for the internet age. This latest shenanigans with Malaysia airways has a similar vibe to it.