House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

James Garner Rip

Many of us envied his lifestyle in "The Rockford Files". It wasn't just the freelance job, nor the freedom from family duties, nor the chance to take part in escapades with the old man. it was the trailer living next to the sea. Who needed to buy bricks and mortar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28389814

_76400490_f9026f65-d32a-4dec-86f5-dd5d08

Always loved watching the Rockford Files when I was a kid and he was highly amusing as Maverick.

+1

Not to mention the very affable and resourceful "The Scrounger" character in The Great Escape, which as a kid seemed to be on every other Saturday evening in the late 70s early 80's.

I was a huge fan of the Rockford files, James Garner played it brilliantly as a total everyman. Jim usually lost fights and had no great insights, but always persisted and got there in the end.

+1

Not to mention the very affable and resourceful "The Scrounger" character in The Great Escape, which as a kid seemed to be on every other Saturday evening in the late 70s early 80's.

It was definitely on every Christmas (still is as far as I know) don`t know about every other weekend though :lol:

I watched Barbarians at the Gate http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106356/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_35 recently and Garner is excellent in the lead, totally believable as the boundlessly confident Ross Johnson; he holds a fairly weak TV movie together and makes it highly enjoyable.

Rockford Files could be The Next Box Set! (I was a shade too young to appreciate it in the 70s, but it always seemed to be on in the background.)

Rockford Files could be The Next Box Set! (I was a shade too young to appreciate it in the 70s, but it always seemed to be on in the background.)

Definitely go for it, I bought it some years ago and very much enjoyed watching it. In fact I might watch it again soon as it's far better than the crap they produce these days.

It was definitely on every Christmas (still is as far as I know) don`t know about every other weekend though :lol:

OK, not every other weekend, but It almost seemed like it. :lol: A contender for the most repeated screening on a Saturday evening would be The Poseidon Adventure regularly interspersed with The Bridge at Remagen, The Dirty Dozen, The Day of the Jackal, Where Eagles Dare, The Odessa File, The Eagle has Landed and North Sea Hijack.

And don't forget "Support your local Sherriff*". Forgot that one in the cowboy thred. Bring back the Rockford Files. I'm bored of watching Columbo.

* One of those words I can never remember how to spell, so best to err on the generous side

I was a huge fan of the Rockford files, James Garner played it brilliantly as a total everyman. Jim usually lost fights and had no great insights, but always persisted and got there in the end.

I read some years back that he went back to TV on The Rockford Files because he had cheesed off lots of people in the Film business - apparently he was quite a forthright character and ended up cheesing off some of the studios. Others say that he was blacklisted by Jack Warner after he sued Warner Brothers over his contract.

I read some years back that he went back to TV on The Rockford Files because he had cheesed off lots of people in the Film business - apparently he was quite a forthright character and ended up cheesing off some of the studios. Others say that he was blacklisted by Jack Warner after he sued Warner Brothers over his contract.

Looks interesting, sound is terrible though.

Him playing the Maverick character decades after the original and set in the relevant time period was brilliant. Old guy trying to make sense of how the world has changed.

Looks interesting, sound is terrible though.

Yes. Terrible audio. The interviewer is miked up but Garner is not. The interviewee is always the priority but many journos think that their questions are more important than the answers from the interviewee.

Yes. Terrible audio. The interviewer is miked up but Garner is not. The interviewee is always the priority but many journos think that their questions are more important than the answers from the interviewee.

Yes, couldn`t play it last night because the booming interviewer was going to piss off the neighbours. Will give it a go in the daytime sometime. Cheers for the link.