House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Right To Be Forgotten

As an experiment, I submitted a request to Google to remove links to a couple of very old pages that mentioned me. There was nothing inaccurate, embarassing or otherwise problematic about the content it was just very out of date (contents of a business directory noting me as working for an employer I left nearly 20 years back). Anyway, they removed it without question from their European search results without making any effort to confirm that I was actually the person being referred to. I don't think this bodes at all well for the web as any kind of journalistic or research tool in the long run. It'll be back to physical paper at this rate, unless of course the European Court starts telling archives to destroy old records on request, which I wouldn't put past them.

presumably this will be a fillip to non-Google search engines, if there are any left.

indeed. duckduck go, and non google.eu website should be seeing a real spike in use. Bluecat, see if you can find yourself on google/com.au ?

indeed. duckduck go, and non google.eu website should be seeing a real spike in use. Bluecat, see if you can find yourself on google/com.au ?

Or just go to the Google UK page and click "Use Google.com" bottom right.

The pages are still on google.com and google.ca, they're gone on all the EU ones I tried. I don't think other search engines get a free pass either, I would assume they'd all have to comply with the ruling if someone asked them to.

What about on Yahoo, Bing, etc?

Bing has them, but Yahoo didn't ever. I'm assuming that, if I asked, then Bing would remove them too. Doesn't seem right that this gets done with so little verification and justification.