House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Real Time Lightning

OH was watching it on his phone between 3-4. One strike showed as very close to our house.
Friends down south have had a direct hit to their house apparently. They're ok but have nothing left.

OH was watching it on his phone between 3-4. One strike showed as very close to our house.

Friends down south have had a direct hit to their house apparently. They're ok but have nothing left.

poor buggers,

I was flying through it last night!...full marks to the pilot though, absolutely ace job!.

I'm always surprised that the casualty rate from lightning isn't higher because I have had so many narrow escapes. I'm a walker and getting caught out by storms comes with the territory. I've had lightning strikes bounce yards in front of me and on one occasion strike a pole that I was walking past. Indeed a quarter of a mile from that latter strike a cricketer was killed that very afternoon. A bolt hit the pitch and floored three players, but one never got up again.

But it is amazingly rare...I guess because nobody walks anywhere anymore.

I was up in a Zeppelin at 0500 this morning in a spiked helmet! I did not get struck by lightning!

I was up in a Zeppelin at 0500 this morning in a spiked helmet! I did not get struck by lightning!

As long as the spikes are on the inside of the helmet you should be fairly safe from lightning strikes Mr. P.

Just mind your spurs on that zeppelin!

As long as the spikes are on the inside of the helmet you should be fairly safe from lightning strikes Mr. P.

Just mind your spurs on that zeppelin!

Looks like a good website, but I can't find the box where you enter the co-ordinates of where you want the lightning to strike.

Oh that'd be much more fun!

Yes my brand new Casio watch has a `lightning strike targeting` mode.

The trouble is I`m finding it difficult to set the time, I`ve settled for Madrid instead of London until the summer is over.

Probably explains why it`s so damn hot.

Clever!

How does that work then, satellites?

There are detectors of some sort in various places. There's another lightning map at

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en

If you tick the boxes at the left that say "strikes" and "detectors" you get an exciting display of where the detectors are and which strikes they're detecting.

There are detectors of some sort in various places. There's another lightning map at

If you tick the boxes at the left that say "strikes" and "detectors" you get an exciting display of where the detectors are and which strikes they're detecting causing.

No smoke without fire. How would they know where to put the detectors if they didn't know where the strikes were going to be?

If you tick the boxes at the left that say "strikes" and "detectors" you get an exciting display of where the detectors are and which strikes they're detecting.

Wow, squint and it's like a laser show!

Those detectors can really detect!

(still don't understand it)

Wow, squint and it's like a laser show!

Those detectors can really detect!

(still don't understand it)

Community driven array of open source rf detectors all linked by the internet. Central server takes the time differentials from the receiving stations' positions triangulates the origin of the lighting.

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page=3