House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Got A Chromebook?

OnionTerror

HOLA441
HOLA442

I have an Android phone and media player for my TV - I am quite happy with both. It took me quite some time before I found an app (BSPlayer) which could stream videos over SAMBA from my NAS drive.

I am considering getting the wife one for her birthday, which did you buy? Linky ?

HOLA443

I have an Android phone and media player for my TV - I am quite happy with both. It took me quite some time before I found an app (BSPlayer) which could stream videos over SAMBA from my NAS drive.

I am considering getting the wife one for her birthday, which did you buy? Linky ?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/samsung-chromebook-1111354/review

HOLA444

Its a cracking little thing...got micro SD card support, HDMI, two USBs (for external HDs, etc)..Google Docs supports Office-based files, no anti virus required...The OS upgrades automatically, and if it becomes corrupted, a new version is just downloaded..

I was running a VPN on my Win8 PC via Chrome...I'll see if it runs on this..

HOLA445

My wife bought two this month an Acer C7 11" and a Toshiba 13"!Both seem ok for what they do and are light and cool running.

I installed Linux on the Toshiba just out of curiosity be she didn't want to learn the extra steps to get it started up as she only browses the web so I took it off.

There's a lot of faffing about to print from the chromebooks if you don't have a cloud printer especially if like us you have an Epson connected to a Raspberry pi.

HOLA446

I have an Acer 720P which was 200 euros new last month. Booted Chrome, it was crap, installed Linux. It is quite nice but the touch screen under both Chrome and LInux is pretty much useless and just a power drain; I guess thicko manager types might find it useful to prod their screens; it seems to be a habit of theirs.

HOLA447

I have an Acer 720P which was 200 euros new last month. Booted Chrome, it was crap, installed Linux. It is quite nice but the touch screen under both Chrome and LInux is pretty much useless and just a power drain; I guess thicko manager types might find it useful to prod their screens; it seems to be a habit of theirs.

For a simple, PC like machine for a £180, you can't really go too far wrong...you get a keyboard...don't have to buy any other software, such as Office...a basic one is the same price as a crappy 8" tablet..most printers made in the last 18 months or so, support google cloud print, or eprint...

I'm not a big fan of touch screen...see it as a bit more of a fad, esp. for laptop type devices...

HOLA448
HOLA449

There is a 200 quid Windows Dell laptop on hotukdeals. Basic but suitable for what you would do using a Chromebook.

...which take 5 minutes to boot :)..and I doubt you'd get the battery life out of them either, and it'll be the size of the moon..

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Nonetheless, it is a £200 laptop which may well suit many people.

+1 but why do people buy low end c***f when they will be using it daily! bit like cheap glasses/shoes/cars

Just got a Lenovo carbon x1 suspect it will knock the chromebook out of the park

HOLA4413

+1 but why do people buy low end c***f when they will be using it daily! bit like cheap glasses/shoes/cars

Just got a Lenovo carbon x1 suspect it will knock the chromebook out of the park

The trouble is that when people buy a 200 or 250 quid laptop, they expect it to run several tabs in chrome, as well as perhaps running spotify and a few other odds and sods, and it will fail badly...

If I was spending a thousand quid on a PC, i'd probably get a Mac. Lenovo's aftercare support is notoriously crap...

HOLA4414

The trouble is that when people buy a 200 or 250 quid laptop, they expect it to run several tabs in chrome, as well as perhaps running spotify and a few other odds and sods, and it will fail badly...

If I was spending a thousand quid on a PC, i'd probably get a Mac. Lenovo's aftercare support is notoriously crap...

My immediate thought was 'get an 11" macbook air', 2nd hand, refurbished or with educational discount, if you can.

HOLA4415

Agreed. I went through a phase of buying low end machines. Most didn't make it past their warranty, and were horrible to use too.

Now, I tend to buy MacBooks which are secondhand and six months old or so. My current one was £500 off the list price, and comes with 2.5 years AppleCare. In a couple of years time, I'll probably sell it on for at least half of what I paid for it - and will have had a couple of years of hassle free and nice to use computing for under 50p/day. Given I spend up to 10 hours a day on the thing, I say that wasn't a bad deal.

HOLA4416

Anybody else wondering what the 3 asterisks between c and f represent?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived