House Price Crash Forum

Foxtons Share Price And The Housing Market - Merged

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Shy Ted said:

The article says prices are already in annual falls:

The Reuters poll follows figures from the Office for National Statistics which show that the average value of a home in the capital fell 0.7% in the year to March at £471,944, down around £3500. That was the second consecutive month of declines and the biggest annual fall since September 2009.

so why the word 'danger'?

This will let some much needed air out of the market, particularly in London and the South-East.

Ah, that was the problem - too much air! 

Asked to rate house prices, on a scale of one to 10 between extremely cheap and extremely expensive, respondents gave a median of nine for London and seven nationally.

I guess some Londoners are aware of Japan prices in the 80s then.

10 hours ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

Asked to rate house prices, on a scale of one to 10 between extremely cheap and extremely expensive, respondents gave a median of nine for London and seven nationally.

Indeed! the public think prices are far too expensive... They start to hear prices are dropping. That's when a bubble pops.

14 hours ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

The article says prices are already in annual falls:

The Reuters poll follows figures from the Office for National Statistics which show that the average value of a home in the capital fell 0.7% in the year to March at £471,944, down around £3500. That was the second consecutive month of declines and the biggest annual fall since September 2009.

so why the word 'danger'?

This will let some much needed air out of the market, particularly in London and the South-East.

Ah, that was the problem - too much air! 

I had a look for buy or rent property in London (just for amusement ) and anyone with a brain would come to the same conclusion. 

Looking at the salaries in London too, I can't understand how people manage. There must be a critical mass of people who have owned their houses or bought in the 80's or so (before that bubble). 

1 hour ago, stuckmojo said:

I had a look for buy or rent property in London (just for amusement ) and anyone with a brain would come to the same conclusion. 

Looking at the salaries in London too, I can't understand how people manage. There must be a critical mass of people who have owned their houses or bought in the 80's or so (before that bubble). 

Have you not seen the 18 people in 1 bed room thread.

35 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Have you not seen the 18 people in 1 bed room thread.

Ah, yes, that explains quite a bit of it. 

Interestingly, I saw many flats for rent as   "1 bedroom flat for flatshare". How is that even possible/legal? only for £850 pcm per person, mind, so a total bargain for the up and coming barista/media runner. 

Surely they don't mind sharing a bed/pull out settee/sofa with a total stranger for such a pittance. 

******ing hell. 

On 06/02/2018 at 17:26, warrior88 said:

I find it really weird that a lot of closing position for foxtons tends be a whole round number - who is supporting foxtons soo much and what seems like unlimited money or at least £187m it seems.

5a79e517c1d18_foxtonsprice.PNG.8cfba832b555d6716b4ac39e3d9bbff9.PNG

Do you have the URL that gets you to the old style Google finance charts? I lost my link and can't find my way back to it, only get the new ones with a lot less functionality!

1 hour ago, fru-gal said:

What percentage of Foxtons turnover has relied on fees from tenants? I imagine in London this will be a very large percentage?

I'll bet.  We looked at a rental with Foxton's recently and put an offer in with them.  Had to fill out a silly 2 page document (perhaps to put off cheeky offers which ours kind of was) and the Tennant Fee was about £850!!  (I'm very glad our offer was refused in the end as it would have hurt to pay that for a clueless agent and zero service)

We ended up going through a small independent who charged a total of £150 for admin and credit checks.  They've been super proactive and responded to a few small issues immediately - not sure we would have had the same treatment with Foxtons. 

7 hours ago, steaky said:

I'll bet.  We looked at a rental with Foxton's recently and put an offer in with them.  Had to fill out a silly 2 page document (perhaps to put off cheeky offers which ours kind of was) and the Tennant Fee was about £850!!  (I'm very glad our offer was refused in the end as it would have hurt to pay that for a clueless agent and zero service)

We ended up going through a small independent who charged a total of £150 for admin and credit checks.  They've been super proactive and responded to a few small issues immediately - not sure we would have had the same treatment with Foxtons. 

I just moved in the SE  and paid £200 in fees. Bit annoying, but the place is nice and they have sorted things out quickly and remain my point of call if I need anything. I can't understand how the big ones survive whilst providing a crap service. 

2 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

I just moved in the SE  and paid £200 in fees. Bit annoying, but the place is nice and they have sorted things out quickly and remain my point of call if I need anything. I can't understand how the big ones survive whilst providing a crap service. 

you should ask the government/local councils, they are quite large.