House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

When You Have A Shower Or A Bath Do You Wash With:

Simple question. I use soap and always have, nothing to do with cost I just prefer it, but I have been accused of being old-fashioned.

And yes I do always wipe down the shower / bath scrupulously afterwards. Not that I have more than a handful of baths a year, mostly showers.

Here's hoping it's not just me :unsure:

Bath and soap for me. Not a great fan of showers; too fast and too damp to get much reading done.

Mind you're a nosy bastad you like, aren't you Frank...? ;)

But now that you've delved into my personal-hygeine routine, I do feel compelled to confess to once-a-week baths (Sunday nights after 'Come Dine With Me') and showers every 36 to 48 hours depending upon the time of year.

I also eat out-of-date food, and rarely wash my hands after taking a piss.

These habits ensure that my immune system stays in tip-top condition, and I strongly recommend them to hpcers everywhere...

EDIT: Oh, and the answer to your other question is 'soap'...!

XYY

Only shower - baths bore me.

Usually use basic soap - every other day just use water - doubt you need all the chemicals on a daily basis.

Always soap and always shower. I noticed when being staying at hotels and using the liquid gel for showering every day for a week or more that you can get quite bad BO. It doesn't happen with soap. Same with the washing machine, if you use those liquid gel tabs it gets smelly, but the white powder and tablets keeps it fresh.

I prefer taking a bath, but most days take a shower. Quick, uses less water, and lot easier to wash my hair. Tend to use gel with the shower, always soap when I have a bath.

Bath & shower, prefer bath.

Bath, Epsom salts & green soap unless it's a night out bath when I use Jo Malone smelly stuff

Shower, green soap

People use bottles of liquid stuff in their bathrooms now for hand washing - it's weird. Soap rules...

idiot edit - spelling :wacko:

Showers all the way with small squirt of shower gel and one of those plastic girly buff things.

Also, I've just started having cold showers. Proper, cold showers on the coldest setting it goes. Sounds horrific, and it is for the first minute or so whilst your body gets used to it and you're panting like a madman.. but it does something I can't quite explain to my sense of wellbeing afterwards. It's a bit like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get after swimming in the cold sea. I guess the brain must be releasing endorphins or something

Definitely recommended. try it!

Showers all the way with small squirt of shower gel and one of those plastic girly buff things.

Also, I've just started having cold showers. Proper, cold showers on the coldest setting it goes. Sounds horrific, and it is for the first minute or so whilst your body gets used to it and you're panting like a madman.. but it does something I can't quite explain to my sense of wellbeing afterwards. It's a bit like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get after swimming in the cold sea. I guess the brain must be releasing endorphins or something

Excellent feeling, check out dry skin brushing before jumping in the shower, if you have time (about 15 mins). Seems (for me, anyway) to magnify the tingly, energetic, invincible & completely alive feeling.

edited to add link http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/24/dry-skin-brushing.aspx

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a proper bath- the last time I can remember relaxing in one is a ludicrously hot communal bath in Japan when I was there in 2001- and you're expected to get yourself scrupulously clean in the shower before even getting in! I used to have to shower sitting down in the bath in my first rental flat as the water pressure wasn't good enough to get up to head height, but since I've had a working shower not used the bath at all.

As for what I wash with, up until last month I used Sainsburys basics shampoo on my head, 35p per litre, and then basics soap for 17p a bar from wherever I can buy it for pits and bits. I've run out of the shampoo now and until I can be bothered to buy some more I've just been using soap on my bonce as well- I have classic male pattern baldness and buzzcut that which remains every week so it rarely gets longer than No2 on the clippers, so no real point in using shampoo, but that 35p bottle used to last me six months, so I don't know if using 17p a bar soap is cheaper anyway...

Unless it's a cold winter day and I've done absolutely nothing, I do shower every day, in case anyone thinks I'm manky!

At this time of year the cold shower is just great (and not actually cold, 'cos the ambient temperature of the water isn't). Bit more challenging six months away.

But I've found I do need it conventionally warm to wash the hair. Maybe that might differ with a different shampoo?

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a proper bath- the last time I can remember relaxing in one is a ludicrously hot communal bath in Japan when I was there in 2001- and you're expected to get yourself scrupulously clean in the shower before even getting in! I used to have to shower sitting down in the bath in my first rental flat as the water pressure wasn't good enough to get up to head height, but since I've had a working shower not used the bath at all.

As for what I wash with, up until last month I used Sainsburys basics shampoo on my head, 35p per litre, and then basics soap for 17p a bar from wherever I can buy it for pits and bits. I've run out of the shampoo now and until I can be bothered to buy some more I've just been using soap on my bonce as well- I have classic male pattern baldness and buzzcut that which remains every week so it rarely gets longer than No2 on the clippers, so no real point in using shampoo, but that 35p bottle used to last me six months, so I don't know if using 17p a bar soap is cheaper anyway...

Unless it's a cold winter day and I've done absolutely nothing, I do shower every day, in case anyone thinks I'm manky!

That's peer pressure for you. Apparently (I read this somewhere recently) showering every day is not at all good for you since humans were never meant to be this clean. I do remember that one of the scientists who investigated this was so convinced by his findings (which suggested that washing about once a week would be best) that he decided to compromise by showering every other day.

That's peer pressure for you. Apparently (I read this somewhere recently) showering every day is not at all good for you since humans were never meant to be this clean. I do remember that one of the scientists who investigated this was so convinced by his findings (which suggested that washing about once a week would be best) that he decided to compromise by showering every other day.

Maybe, but I have quite sensitive skin, and showering every day with soap does it no harm whatsoever as far as I can tell.

On the flip side I'm happy to wear a shirt for a week or more and a pair of trousers for a month without washing them, and I can't recall ever having been accused of having BO. As far as I can tell many people won't wear a garment more than once without washing it, which strikes me as crazy!

I enjoy having a shower, I find it calming and therapeutic (and no I don't get up to any funny business before anyone asks :P ). At work I never wash my coffee cup which is 1) laziness and 2) my way of keeping my immune system sharp. My hygiene OCD is pretty well controlled now, though in the past it really made my life a misery!

Here we go (from behind New Scientist paywall):

Skip the daily shower

It was time to learn about the needs of my skin microbes. For four days, I skipped my shower and instead took a daily swab from my armpit, cheek, back and foot. From these swabs, Dries Budding at the Free University in Amsterdam identified hundreds of species, including typical skin dwellers such as Staphylococcus epidermidis, but also Streptococcus parasanguinis – more usually at home in a healthy mouth – and potential pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae. And over the four days the diversity increased.

That makes it sound like skipping showers is unhealthy. On the contrary. In fact, some researchers think that by washing our skin on a daily basis we could be scrubbing off a natural shield. The harmless bacteria on our skin help form a physical barrier against microbes that are potentially harmful, says Elizabeth Grice at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. "They protect us, educate the immune system, modulate the immune and inflammatory response and don't allow pathogenic or opportunistic bacteria."

Harmless bacteria also prime immune cells to respond to their pathogenic cousins, as well as raising the alarm to immune cells when a pathogen arrives by triggering immune-signal pathways. For example, one recent study showed that immunity to the protozoan parasite Leishmania major requires the presence of S. epidermidis. I faced a dilemma. Did I want the best for my microbes or the people around me? Unwashed, I risked social exclusion. In the end I made a compromise: I now wash every other day and haven't yet lost any friends.

I imagine those who favour paleo diets would certainly also be in favour of washing less frequently, for similar reasons. My missus certainly didn't like me to wash too frequently; she use to say she liked being able to smell the man who was sharing her bed. :unsure:

Here we go (from behind New Scientist paywall):

I imagine those who favour paleo diets would certainly also be in favour of washing less frequently, for similar reasons. My missus certainly didn't like me to wash too frequently; she use to say she liked being able to smell the man who was sharing her bed. :unsure:

Where do I go from here...Guess I'm lucky that my wife generally jumps me after a night out on the lash with her mates- which is usually when she has had a bath! IMO I shower slightly too much and she showers slightly too little. I have an extravagant chest rug, and I've never noticed that the pheromones that apparently radiate out from it have had any effect on her, or any other available woman! :P

Ah, yes. The topic of frequency.

Well, I'm a once a week man by instinct. Unless I've been doing anything physical (which includes boring and gently cycling to work/shops etc). As do this quite often, I probably don't achieve my once-a-week nirvana too frequently.

Never quite understood apparently semi-aquatic modernity.

I live in a house full of females who would let me know if me (and my hirsute chest-rug) whiffed at all. They all seem to live in the shower/bath. The number of towels we own is staggering. We have a large cupboard (an EA would call it a "bedroom") just for towels.

And on the topic of soap, I use the same cheapo soap for a lather when shaving. 50p for a Palmolive stick is consumerism too far for me when a 20p block of soap lasts for practically ever.