House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Internal Wiring Question

In my garage there is a single electrical socket, and I'm keen to remove it and replace it with a couple of double sockets. It looks like a fairly straightforward operation, but I'll lay it out my plan just in case I'm missing something.

The socket is powered by one of those thick grey cables, which comes out of another socket in the next room. The single socket I want to change also has a cable going out of it, which takes power into the garage on the other side of my garage (kind of complicated rental setup).

So what I want to do is:

1) Remove my single socket, and wire in a double, with a new piece of cable feeding out of it and into my second double socket.

2) Connect the current output of the single socket as the output of the second socket.

So in other words, I'm keeping everything as a nice ring, just adding a couple of double sockets instead of the one single.

The question I have (apart from whether that makes sense or not) is the new length of cable I bought to do the extension with. It is rated to 230 volts and 64 amps, and listed as being used for cookers and showers. I'm pretty sure it must be man enough for the job, but I have worries of the cable melting under load and my garage catching fire...

So any help or confirmations would be much appreciated :-)

The amp rating of the cable being add is irrelevant proving its the same or above the rating of the rest of the ring main which I would guesses at being 2.4mm (standard for domestic sockets)

What you need to work out is how much current are you likely to use at one time an base the amp rating of the wire to be used on that and that wire needs to be used for the complete ring from consumer unit and back

Thanks for the reply - must admit I just had a bit of a brain fart and never thought to check whether a heavy duty extension socket would work as well. Apparently it will, and for the same cost, less effort and portability, it's the obvious way forward.

Sorry for the pointless thread, sometimes it's not until you spell out the complicated version that you see the simple one...

Seriously recommend getting an electrician in.

It is not clear from your explanation whether you have a ring or single spur off the existing circuit or not and what rating that cable is. Regardless of the currecnt carrying capacity of hte new cable you may be overloading the existing circuit with whatever load will be applied to the new/replacement double sockets. At the moment if I understand correctly you could draw a max of 13Amps from the cable going into the garage. Potenitally (depending what you connect) you could draw nearer 50amps with all four double sockets at full load.which may be broken by a feeding circuit breaker before trouble, or maybe not.

Seriously recommend getting an electrician in.

It is not clear from your explanation whether you have a ring or single spur off the existing circuit or not and what rating that cable is. Regardless of the currecnt carrying capacity of hte new cable you may be overloading the existing circuit with whatever load will be applied to the new/replacement double sockets. At the moment if I understand correctly you could draw a max of 13Amps from the cable going into the garage. Potenitally (depending what you connect) you could draw nearer 50amps with all four double sockets at full load.which may be broken by a feeding circuit breaker before trouble, or maybe not.

In all honesty, that's complete double dutch to me, thereby proving your point beyond all question.

I actually have an electrician booked in a couple of weeks time, so I'll use the extension jobbie until then and then take his opinion for it. I just looked at it this morning and figured it didn't look that difficult, so I could maybe do it myself. It's funny how such things can look so simple yet risk burning down your house and next door as well.

On balance, I really think it's best left to someone who knows what they are doing ;-)

In all honesty, that's complete double dutch to me, thereby proving your point beyond all question.

I actually have an electrician booked in a couple of weeks time, so I'll use the extension jobbie until then and then take his opinion for it. I just looked at it this morning and figured it didn't look that difficult, so I could maybe do it myself. It's funny how such things can look so simple yet risk burning down your house and next door as well.

On balance, I really think it's best left to someone who knows what they are doing ;-)

Good man, the best decision I think in this case. But any issues with the electrician let us know!

You are wise enough to recognise the limits of your knowledge and understanding.

Which is true wisdom.

If it's got a breaker I don't think you'll end up with any dramas TBH but, you are assuming the original wiring is a non-jerry built job which may not be a safe assumption in a rental or not recently built or re-wired professionally.

If you're worried just put breaker plugs on any high draw things you're likely to use from the garage sockets but what you're doing is no different to hardwiring in a four socket extension if what you want to plug in would work ok in one then it will be fine. Although most four socket extensions have screw recesses on the back for wall mounting so if you are worried just do that and save about £90 on having and electrician in.

It was actually made law some time ago for even the competent DIYer to notify the council of all proposed electrical alterations. There was an expectation at the time it would kill retail sales of plug sockets and light switches but it hasn't so presumably it's ignored.

You are wise enough to recognise the limits of your knowledge and understanding.

Which is true wisdom.

I'm not truly wise, althought I have an IEE wiring inspection certificate! If it's a spur off an existing socket, it's not legal to install now! My garage wiring, shonky though it is, has its own breaker! Check whether you fusebox has a spare slot in it! You should use that! Remember there are only lucky electrical engineers! The other ones are dead or sued! :blink:

If it's got a breaker I don't think you'll end up with any dramas TBH but, you are assuming the original wiring is a non-jerry built job which may not be a safe assumption in a rental or not recently built or re-wired professionally.

If you're worried just put breaker plugs on any high draw things you're likely to use from the garage sockets but what you're doing is no different to hardwiring in a four socket extension if what you want to plug in would work ok in one then it will be fine. Although most four socket extensions have screw recesses on the back for wall mounting so if you are worried just do that and save about £90 on having and electrician in.

It was actually made law some time ago for even the competent DIYer to notify the council of all proposed electrical alterations. There was an expectation at the time it would kill retail sales of plug sockets and light switches but it hasn't so presumably it's ignored.

Yes, I'm going to try the extension jobbie and see how it goes - and if it works ok, then I can take it with me when we move instead of improving my landlord's house at my expense :)

Remember there are only lucky electrical engineers! The other ones are dead or sued! :blink:

That gives me great comfort. Thank you :P

how you gonna terminate 2x what sounds like 6mm cables in a socket??!

Get a sparky in!

(You only need to use 2.5mm or 4mm by the way)

how you gonna terminate 2x what sounds like 6mm cables in a socket??!

Get a sparky in!

(You only need to use 2.5mm or 4mm by the way)

Maybe he's running an illegal aluminium smelting operation! :wacko: Or a cannabis farm, in which case 4mm should be adequate!

Actually, my totally inadequate 2.5mm domestic cable to the garage goes to a proper distribution box with breakers, so it's only a bit half arsed!

Maybe he's running an illegal aluminium smelting operation! :wacko: Or a cannabis farm, in which case 4mm should be adequate!

Actually, my totally inadequate 2.5mm domestic cable to the garage goes to a proper distribution box with breakers, so it's only a bit half arsed!

Bitcoin mining.

Ditto,

Ditto with the wiring inspection cert too - inspection and test and wirign regs.

Except I am not allowed to do much without paying a ransom to NIC/similar/Council. So even though I could upgrade the lot to make it much safer, legally I can't.

Moonshining. I aim to be one of those people whop blow myself up in my own garage. Electrocuting myself just wouldn't be as spectacular.

A good earth strap then on the still, that'll be one less thing to worry about. LOL.

Moonshine doesn't take much leccy unless you have a gigantic still. The T-500 still does 25L of wash at a time and is 2Kw. Only needs to run for about 5 hours so less than a quids worth of electric.

When using the extension, make sure that it is not coiled as that can cause a fire.

it was like that when you moved in, right?

Every house was "like that when I moved in"! :blink: