House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lewis Gordon Pugh

Learning The Guitar

Ok, so i bought a guitar and i have only been playing for 3 weeks.

I obviously improved to start with, but i now feel i am actually getting worse.

Is this normal?

I practice at least couple of hours a day. Some days i sit around practising all day if i have time.

I cant decide if i am getting worse or if its just me being very self critical of myself.

Using mainly youtube vids to learn.

Got to harden the tips of the fingers. Walk through that door and you're on your way really.

What did you buy? An electric will have a more manageable neck as a rule.

All i would say is, once you've got yourself up to speed, and feel confident enough to join a band, be very careful of the phenomenon known as "the drummer".

Seriously, nearly every one i've met has been an utter tool.

Top tip that I wish someone had taught me on the first day: learn how to learn. The art of playing an instrument isn't in the playing but the practice. Get the practice right and you'll be a total monster within 36 months.

You may not realise that you are not warming up properly or your hands are cold or your practicing with mistakes and actually learning the mistakes.

Ok, so i bought a guitar and i have only been playing for 3 weeks.

I obviously improved to start with, but i now feel i am actually getting worse.

Is this normal?

I practice at least couple of hours a day. Some days i sit around practising all day if i have time.

I cant decide if i am getting worse or if its just me being very self critical of myself.

Yes! It takes quite a while to get it! The internet is a wonderful thing!

I've been playing the guitar for 40 years and I still get that feeling that I am getting worse. It's normal and sometimes true.

I was a late starter, but even so, I've been playing for 25 years now, and I agree with you 100% !!

I was a late starter, but even so, I've been playing for 25 years now, and I agree with you 100% !!

With you on that one uppy - got a guitar at 14, my (percieved) ability peaked at around 15, and I've got slowly worse over the intervening 34 years.

But then I am left-handed...

;)

XYY

Not a bad idea that LGP - using them YouTube vids to learn the guitar.

Study this one carefully mate, and you too could soon be playing in North-Eastern workingmen's clubs...!

XYY

Hi thanks for the reply. Ok so today after posting this thread i made really good progress, lol. Typical. Yes i cant feel the ends of my fingers any more they are totally callused over.

I guess you have to go backwards sometime to go forwards.

Can you over play, the same way you can over train?

Hi thanks for the reply. Ok so today after posting this thread i made really good progress, lol. Typical. Yes i cant feel the ends of my fingers any more they are totally callused over.

I guess you have to go backwards sometime to go forwards.

Can you over play, the same way you can over train?

You can overplay. Musicians can be prone to tendonitis and such like, but guitar is relatively forgiving compared to something like double bass.

If you`re playing very intensively (playing scales over and over again) then I'd stop for a 15 min break every 45 mins or so.

You haven't said what type of guitar that you're trying to learn? Not that it matters, I'm just interested. I would love to be a competent pub rocker, so a couple of years ago I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special GT and an amp with a view to sorting that out. I already had a half decent Strat copy that had been set up by a local guitar shop, but decided that a Les Paul was more my style, so made an impulse purchase. A month after I got it I tweaked the neck curvature to get rid of fret buzz and spent an hour working on the bridge to get the string heights even and the intonation perfect- but that was more fun than actually practising the basics! :rolleyes: My brother who is actually a halfway competent blues and folk player reckons it's nice to play now, for what that's worth.

The late lamented Bolton Fury always used to suggest this site to newby players:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

...and irritating indoor hat wearing aside I agree it's good. I just need to stop cocking about trying to accurately pick every note of the riff from Still Of The Night and actually get beyond being able to play an F chord after a couple of trial strums to reposition wayward fingers :rolleyes: .

Got to harden the tips of the fingers. Walk through that door and you're on your way really.

What did you buy? An electric will have a more manageable neck as a rule.

All i would say is, once you've got yourself up to speed, and feel confident enough to join a band, be very careful of the phenomenon known as "the drummer".

Seriously, nearly every one i've met has been an utter tool.

Drummers have to be a tool. Somebody that cared about not annoying neighbours would never get enough practice.

You haven't said what type of guitar that you're trying to learn? Not that it matters, I'm just interested. I would love to be a competent pub rocker, so a couple of years ago I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special GT and an amp with a view to sorting that out. I already had a half decent Strat copy that had been set up by a local guitar shop, but decided that a Les Paul was more my style, so made an impulse purchase. A month after I got it I tweaked the neck curvature to get rid of fret buzz and spent an hour working on the bridge to get the string heights even and the intonation perfect- but that was more fun than actually practising the basics! :rolleyes: My brother who is actually a halfway competent blues and folk player reckons it's nice to play now, for what that's worth.

The late lamented Bolton Fury always used to suggest this site to newby players:

...and irritating indoor hat wearing aside I agree it's good. I just need to stop cocking about trying to accurately pick every note of the riff from Still Of The Night and actually get beyond being able to play an F chord after a couple of trial strums to reposition wayward fingers :rolleyes: .

What happened to Bolton Fury? Please tell me he has just left the forum, not anything sinister.

What happened to Bolton Fury? Please tell me he has just left the forum, not anything sinister.

Worse than sinister, he bought a house.

Easy on the sinister too, you handist.

Its just a cheap acoustic guitar, a Yamaha F310. I said that if i am still playing in a years time and am making progress ill buy a better one.

You can't go wrong with a Yamaha! Wise move! I guess it will be made in China nowadays, but I am impressed by the quality! Much much better than when I started out, and I spent a weeks wages on an "unplayable" wooden guitar, that my sister now uses as a plant pot holder!

Worse than sinister, he bought a house.

Easy on the sinister too, you handist.

I like Mr Bolton! Maybe he has a life now, and is too busy to attend here! :wacko:

Way to go! Not difficult once you know a few notes! Usually happens when you change the string gauge! Sometimes goes "off" a bit! Needs a tweak! Not possible with most acoustics!

With you on that one uppy - got a guitar at 14, my (percieved) ability peaked at around 15, and I've got slowly worse over the intervening 34 years.

But then I am left-handed...

;)

XYY

Aye, me an-all! No problem nowadays if that is your preferred orientation!

I had an electric guitar in the house that I had literally 'twanged' a few times and then, just like you, went and bought an F310 and then, just like you, wentvan watched Justin's videos.

Can't say I'm any good at it yet as I don't have the time to invest but every time I hear Johnny Cash I pick it up and play the two chords I know!

I like playing the drums as well.