House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LTD

Being Pestered By Estate Agents

I keep getting letters from local EAs saying that they've noticed my house is on the market and would I be interested in employing them to handle the sale? This has been going on for about three months now. The thing is my house isn't on the market and isn't likely to be any time soon. A property at the end of the terrace was sold back in the Spring so I'm wondering if that's got anything to with it.

The latest missive is from Taylors (part of Countrywide) asking have I been contacted by my estate agent in the last seven days and have I had a viewing, also in the last seven days. The whole thing reminds me of when you try and flog your car in the local paper and you get these muppets from Autotrader phoning up to see if you want to advertise it with them. Do EAs habitually try and poach clients off each other or is this a sign that they're having a hard time at the moment?

I keep getting letters from local EAs saying that they've noticed my house is on the market and would I be interested in employing them to handle the sale? This has been going on for about three months now. The thing is my house isn't on the market and isn't likely to be any time soon. A property at the end of the terrace was sold back in the Spring so I'm wondering if that's got anything to with it.

The latest missive is from Taylors (part of Countrywide) asking have I been contacted by my estate agent in the last seven days and have I had a viewing, also in the last seven days. The whole thing reminds me of when you try and flog your car in the local paper and you get these muppets from Autotrader phoning up to see if you want to advertise it with them. Do EAs habitually try and poach clients off each other or is this a sign that they're having a hard time at the moment?

When I STR'd in March, I had to fend off a 'well known' London agency who constantly tried to poach me. I had AT LEAST a letter a week and, as they'd valued the house 6 months earlier, had my phone number and used to call regularly, too. Even when I was under-offer they tried!

In my new rented place, I get heaps of PROPERTY NEWS type freebies posted through my door... hard times for EAs, indeed. ;)

Had a letter from a local estate agent recently saying what a good time it was to move house and did I fancy putting mine on the market? I don't seem to remember them doing that when times were good...

I think to be fair to the w@nkers, they try to rig the market in good times and bad!

I get postcards every couple of weeks now saying 'Our valuers are in your area on Wednesday and Thursday ...' Funny, wonder where they are on the other days? They are based in the office in the High Street, you'd think they could value any time! Horses @rses the lot of them.

That same agency has a few properties in a local post office window. And a big notice saying how great they are etc. with TWO, BIG, OBVIOUS spelling mistakes in it.

W@nkers the lot of them. They get what they deserve and they are getting it.

I am going to start a web site IHateEstateAgents.co.uk where people can post stories that people will not believe.

I think to be fair to the w@nkers, they try to rig the market in good times and bad!

I get postcards every couple of weeks now saying 'Our valuers are in your area on Wednesday and Thursday ...' Funny, wonder where they are on the other days? They are based in the office in the High Street, you'd think they could value any time! Horses @rses the lot of them.

That same agency has a few properties in a local post office window. And a big notice saying how great they are etc. with TWO, BIG, OBVIOUS spelling mistakes in it.

I am going to start a web site IHateEstateAgents.co.uk where people can post stories that people will not believe.

Sounds like a similar idea to http://www.ebayersthatsuck.com/main/

Its Allowing folks to elaborate on twit ebayers beyond feedback. You could simply ask to duplicate the site & call it www.EstateAgentsThatSuck(Satans Cok).com :D

I have had three letters in the last ten days.

Also, there are five properties on the market within a 100m radius of where I live (North End, Portsmouth), they have for sale signs but are not listed on Rightmove or the agents own website.

Anyone else noticed similar where they live?

I have had three letters in the last ten days.

Also, there are five properties on the market within a 100m radius of where I live (North End, Portsmouth), they have for sale signs but are not listed on Rightmove or the agents own website.

Anyone else noticed similar where they live?

No, but I wonder if they are starting to cut their costs on over priced stock. :rolleyes:

This has always gone on - commonly known as 'touting' so its difficult to read much into it. A lot depends where you are in the country - there are areas where supply of houses coming on to the market is a problem. Don't assume all of these approaches are bogus but for every genuine one there are probably 2/3 bogus ones!

Don't know about anybody else, but I have also noted a lot of 'Private Sales' recentll in the Beds areas. Either home made signs, or a professional looking green and black 'Private Sale' sign.

Are people fed up of EA's? Interestingly these houses do not seem to be selling.

Don't know about anybody else, but I have also noted a lot of 'Private Sales' recentll in the Beds areas. Either home made signs, or a professional looking green and black 'Private Sale' sign.

Are people fed up of EA's? Interestingly these houses do not seem to be selling.

good EAs should be good salesman and creatures that can survive in times of drought. The others will go to the wayside.

Terrible isn't it, people advertising for buisness!!! Don't know how those blasted estate agents get away with it, I mean, no other proffessions have to resort to such an underhand tactic :rolleyes:

I wonder if some of you people read what you are posting and realise how ridiculous you soud- I will hold my hands up and say that estate agents are no angels but you can't have a pop at us for trying to take properties on the market! Why is it acceptable for, say Ford, to want to sell cars, but not for us to want to sell houses?

Terrible isn't it, people advertising for buisness!!! Don't know how those blasted estate agents get away with it, I mean, no other proffessions have to resort to such an underhand tactic :rolleyes:

Of course they do, we often find out about it when they're sent down for fraud or deception.

Properly regulated industries wouldn't get away with half the stuff EA's get up to.

P.S. you misspelled professions.

Edited by BuyingBear

Why is it acceptable for, say Ford, to want to sell cars, but not for us to want to sell houses?

At least Ford make something, cars I think! ( crap cars I admit but it`s better than nothing )

Estate Agents are nothing but bloody propagandist parasites, akin to loan sharks and snake oil salesmen.

Commision based con men ( and gits! ) :P

Limpet

Of course they do, we often find out about it when they're sent down for fraud or deception.

What do fraud and deception have to do with putting a leaflet through a door asking if we can help sell a house?

At least Ford make something, cars I think! ( crap cars I admit but it`s better than nothing )

Estate Agents are nothing but bloody propagandist parasites, akin to loan sharks and snake oil salesmen.

Commision based con men ( and gits! ) :P

Limpet

And they started WW2, and were to blame for Sept. 11th, and I'm sure that Countrywide had something to do with the spread of AIDS in Africa... please try and keep things in perspective!

If you don't like them, then come up with an alternative- and when it works and puts agents out of buisness then you might have a leg to stand on!

And on the whole commision based topic- WHAT IS WRONG WITH GETTING PAID COMMISSION!? An estate agent works for a vendor- if you were employing somebody to sell your house, would you not rather they had an incentive to work hard and get a buyer for you? I know if I was not getting paid extra for selling a house I wouldn't work half as hard as I do

I recently started http://www.happyseller.co.uk - it's not quite what your suggesting but it does allow people to leave feedback about agents after they have used them

Brett

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I know if I was not getting paid extra for selling a house I wouldn't work half as hard as I do

This is why the country is going ( has gone ) down the pan.

You are paid to do a job and then want extra to get out of bed in the morning to do the job you are already paid for. Now that is a novelty.

And they started WW2, and were to blame for Sept. 11th, and I'm sure that Countrywide had something to do with the spread of AIDS in Africa... please try and keep things in perspective!

If you don't like them, then come up with an alternative- and when it works and puts agents out of buisness then you might have a leg to stand on!

And on the whole commision based topic- WHAT IS WRONG WITH GETTING PAID COMMISSION!? An estate agent works for a vendor- if you were employing somebody to sell your house, would you not rather they had an incentive to work hard and get a buyer for you? I know if I was not getting paid extra for selling a house I wouldn't work half as hard as I do

What do you mean if? :lol:

Very honorable I`m sure getting paid to con some poor sap into buying into property at the top of the biggest bubble in history " of course sir didn`t you know prices only go up " " you`ll have to be quick and get in before sipps" " we have our own mortgage advisors to help arrange your finances ".

I repeat.... GITS

The alternative as has been stated before would be to have a properly regulated industry staffed by qualified personnel, and not lumbered with fly by night ex double glazing salesmen types.

By the way how much did you say you wanted for your Granny?

Limpet ;)

What do fraud and deception have to do with putting a leaflet through a door asking if we can help sell a house?

You put leaflets through doors giving the owners the impression that 'Mr & Mrs C are willing to pay full asking price for a property like yours' and there is a queue of people waiting to buy in the street, despite the all too apparent burned out cars, lots of genuinely misleading stuff like that.

It's funny if only for its crude simplicity, do people really fall for stuff like that? Watching two EA's trying every underhanded tactic to steal clients off each other is like watching two cats go at each other, you'd like to help but you know you're just going to get hurt. Of course the market is so strong you're a long way from being desperate enough to try every trick to reel in vendors and buyers.

Edited by BuyingBear

This is why the country is going ( has gone ) down the pan.

You are paid to do a job and then want extra to get out of bed in the morning to do the job you are already paid for. Now that is a novelty.

I beg to differ- the reason why the country is going down the pan is because people have it too easy- if you are on a flat salary then you have little incentive to achieve more than what is merely acceptable. If you are on performance- related pay then you have got extra incentive to go out every day and perform to your very best, which is surely what every employer wants from their staff?

You put leaflets through doors giving the owners the impression that 'Mr & Mrs C are willing to pay full asking price for a property like yours' and there is a queue of people waiting to buy in the street, despite the all too apparent burned out cars, lots of genuinely misleading stuff like that.

It's funny if only for its crude simplicity, do people really fall for stuff like that? Watching two EA's trying every underhanded tactic to steal clients off each other is like watching two cats go at each other, you'd like to help but you know you're just going to get hurt. Of course the market is so strong you're a long way from being desperate enough to try every trick to reel in vendors and buyers.

So nobody buys property in the so-called 'less desirable' areas? Ok then...

If these leaflets really offend you lo that much and you really believe thatwe make the buyers up then try giving the agent a call. I know that at our company we keep a log of which applicant has been used on tout material as a potential buyer and always ask the applicants permission first (even though we only use initials) so that in the instance that somebody like yourself rings up on their high horse accusing us of lying then we can happily refer them to the ombudsman as we have all the evidence that we are touting for a genuine buyer

And I'm sure no agents are foolish enough to write that they have a client willing to pay full asking price even though they haven't valued he property yet

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I beg to differ- the reason why the country is going down the pan is because people have it too easy- if you are on a flat salary then you have little incentive to achieve more than what is merely acceptable. If you are on performance- related pay then you have got extra incentive to go out every day and perform to your very best, which is surely what every employer wants from their staff?

Come off it, most employers want blood for the basic salary they pay these days. Thousands have to work extra hours just to keep their jobs. Redundancies in a company means the remainder carry out the extra work without a penny extra. The only stress you suffer is waiting for an exchange of contracts so you can punch the air and shout Yeah, phew, I`ve got my commission. Don`t kid yourself you make the country great.

If these leaflets really offend you lo that much and you really believe thatwe make the buyers up then try giving the agent a call. I know that at our company we keep a log of which applicant has been used on tout material as a potential buyer

I'm not offended at all, I find the archaic nature of this advertising quite hilarious, any other industry with such antiquated techniques would be out of business by now. I'm just amazed the public still fall for it, I assume some people must otherwise you wouldn't do it.

I find that the leaflets and their increasing frequency are more of a gauge of desperation, I've noticed of late that both the Countrywide agents in my area have mysterious experienced somewhat of a glut in anonymous 'potential buyers' despite the fact there's more property on their books than ever, including half a dozen unsold houses in the very street they're touting for new vendors!