House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

Nannyism

I've just been into Wilkinsons with my 22yo daughter. She wanted to buy some plastic cutlery for a picnic.

They insisted on ID to prove she was over 21.

For plastic effing cutlery.

I am sure this is not because of legislation, and the shop was doing this on it's own 'initiative'. Personally, I would have walked out, but my daughter produced ID anyway.

So how would that work if you were under 21 and needed some cutlery?

I don't recall any restrictive legislation in 1995 when I moved out of home into a bedsit at 16.

Minors in bedsits have to manage with sporks.

I've just been into Wilkinsons with my 22yo daughter. She wanted to buy some plastic cutlery for a picnic.

I am sure this is not because of legislation, and the shop was doing this on it's own 'initiative'. Personally, I would have walked out, but my daughter produced ID anyway.

Send me your daughter! I have cutlery! :unsure:

oh, for a crocodile dundee moment!!

"that's not a knife...........THIS is a knife!"(pulling 15" hunting knife out of coat pocket)

oh, for a crocodile dundee moment!!

"that's not a knife...........THIS is a knife!"(pulling 15" hunting knife out of coat pocket)

it really is getting feckin insane now

Nick (my partner) was cutting up a pomegranate to eat tonight.

I had this great idea for a cross between a spoon and a knife which you could use to scoop out the flesh and seeds.

He pointed out that it would be taken off the shelves the first time someone cut their tongue open with it.

I see the point :)

Heh. Where would we be if irresponsible juveniles had access to deadly weapons like plastic cutlery?

Better make sure they're limited to little toys, like cars, or whatever the armed forces provide to young recruits. Leave the serious stuff until they're more mature and responsible.

A sharp spoon exists. I have one for grapefruit - never cut my mouth with it (not yet anyway)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_spoon

Funny, I haven't seen these for sale, perhaps ever in this country. Must be too dangerous. :wacko:

I had this great idea for a cross between a spoon and a knife which you could use to scoop out the flesh and seeds.

He pointed out that it would be taken off the shelves the first time someone cut their tongue open with it.

I don't recall any restrictive legislation in 1995 when I moved out of home into a bedsit at 16.

It's 18 now for any knives or blades even includes mental things like pencil sharpeners and scissors.

Don't blame the shops blame trading standards that love nothing more than sending old looking 17 year olds in to buy scissors to justify their existence. We've had fines of thousands - did appear to drop one case when it became apparent the assistant that served the transaction was in a wheelchair.

You appear to have in invented the foon. Or perhaps it's a spife.

It's 18 now for any knives or blades even includes mental things like pencil sharpeners and scissors.

Don't blame the shops blame trading standards that love nothing more than sending old looking 17 year olds in to buy scissors to justify their existence. We've had fines of thousands - did appear to drop one case when it became apparent the assistant that served the transaction was in a wheelchair.

it really is bloody stupid.

back in the day when I was a young whipper-snapper there were several of us that openly sported swiss army knives at age 8(and bought legitimately at the same age from army surplus)...in school-in cub-scout background it was quite a fashion statement.

they were used properly,for purposes intended..and the teachers had no problem with it.

the political/eductional establishment are either soft,naive,insane, or sinister and conniving.

it really is bloody stupid.

back in the day when I was a young whipper-snapper there were several of us that openly sported swiss army knives at age 8(and bought legitimately at the same age from army surplus)...in school-in cub-scout background it was quite a fashion statement.

they were used properly,for purposes intended..and the teachers had no problem with it.

the political/eductional establishment are either soft,naive,insane, or sinister and conniving.

Not to mention giant sheath knives worn on your belt.

My local Sainsbury's asked me for identity for a wine purchase two months before my 40th birthday.

I think their policy is to request ID for anyone looking under 25 which is understandable given the penalties and yes I know, you're supposed to take it as a compliment, but I don't look like a teenager (and teenagers don't buy wine anyway).

(giggles) I had that too - in Sainsburys up north.

I was about 35 at the time.

I remember being flattered and saying "Yes, it can be hard to tell the age of people younger than you"

I didn't mean it in the facetious way in which it may have been taken.

a handful of gang bangers in Lewisham shank each other up innit?

and now you have to prove you're 18 to buy plastic knives from Wilko in East Cheam.

WTF?

they could just nick one of their mum's steak knives if that desperate to arm themselves.

Re. drink, a couple of years back I witnessed a man in front of me in the queue at Sainsburys aged at least in his mid-20s being refused wine and beer without ID even though it was part of a typical mixed shop and he had a young child with him. the cashier was a particularly arsey young moslem woman,

In the end, although a stranger, I checked it all out on his behalf, while surrounded by the store manager and 2 security guards telling me I couldn't do that, although not able to articulate exactly why not.

lunacy indeed.

The one that really irritates me is no more than 36 paracetamol can be purchased at the same transaction.....as if were all about to top ourselves with them, I can remember when you could buy 100 in a pot at the same time with no problems.

Sorry but if someone wants to do themselves in or 'cry for help' they will get or do what they have to to acheive that.....our leaders don't trust us like many don't trust them at times.....I think they think we are stupid and can't think for ourselves.....sure there are a few that can't think for themselves but surely treat the cause not the sympton..... ;)

In primary school, after school me and my mates would run around in the bush with bows and arrows and pellet guns playing tarzans and indians (or something), swinging across ravines on vines, detonating aerosol cans in fires, and having stone-throwing fights with local kids.

When I went to boarding school, aged 11, it was de rigeur for everyone in the dorm to have a Swiss Army knife. They were quite the status symbol, with points being earned for have really fat ones with lots of useless squickly bits of metal that you could break your fingernails trying to extract.

I think its why I havent had children. I just cant imagine a son of mine experiencing such a febrile and boring childhood as most of the kids in this country seem to go through.

Never been IDed for buying anything and although I don't mind someone thinking that I look older than I am (late 30s now) I'd be more pissed off than pleased due to the underlying attitudes it represents, it would probably leave me dumping my shopping on the till and walking out.