House Price Crash Forum

MrPin

HOLA441

The nettles round here do not sting! Why is that? I am now down west, but when I lived in Surrey, there were some right stingers! As all schoolchildren found out! How many types of nettles are there, and can you make wine out of them?

HOLA442
HOLA443

The nettles round here do not sting! Why is that? I am now down west, but when I lived in Surrey, there were some right stingers! As all schoolchildren found out! How many types of nettles are there, and can you make wine out of them?

The nettles wouldn't dare sting you, Mr P! :P

HOLA444

We're a bit later in the year now. The first stingers of Spring have real bite. They get worn out by late Summer (or maybe people get "immune" to them). If you move between Spring and Summer that'd explain it.

Or they're "dead nettles" and you should be sucking the nectar from their flowers.

HOLA445

Fen nettles Mr Pin?

Never tried the wine but a bushcrafting chum did make me a bowl of nettle soup once with some nettles, a chicken stock cube and a potato. So it wasn't nettle soup really.

HOLA446

Fen nettles Mr Pin?

Never tried the wine but a bushcrafting chum did make me a bowl of nettle soup once with some nettles, a chicken stock cube and a potato. So it wasn't nettle soup really.

Gardenersing is not the world of Pin! I have to keep it a bit tidy, to keep my neighbour sweet! It's amazing the "free food" you can get if you know where to look!

HOLA447

Yes you can make nettle wine!

Not to mention many other nice things: soup someone already mentioned; nettle tea is nice and easy-going. Some Cornish folks famously use them in a cheese called Yarg. Or - if you're not scared of it - you can eat them more directly either raw or cooked.

They're best for most purposes[1] when tender in spring. April/May is ideal - same sort of season as the wild garlic. Though for wine I suspect the tougher beasties from later in the season would work.

[1] Perhaps that's subjective. I haven't made anything nice from later-season nettles myself.

HOLA448

Yes you can make nettle wine!

Not to mention many other nice things: soup someone already mentioned; nettle tea is nice and easy-going. Some Cornish folks famously use them in a cheese called Yarg. Or - if you're not scared of it - you can eat them more directly either raw or cooked.

They're best for most purposes[1] when tender in spring. April/May is ideal - same sort of season as the wild garlic. Though for wine I suspect the tougher beasties from later in the season would work.

[1] Perhaps that's subjective. I haven't made anything nice from later-season nettles myself.

Nettles also vary in their stingyness depending on what they are growing in. I always found nettles on land that had cows on were nasty bastards - maybe there was something in cow poo?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Nettles also vary in their stingyness depending on what they are growing in. I always found nettles on land that had cows on were nasty bastards - maybe there was something in cow poo?

Something to do with the heavy soil churned up by the horribly-unnatural concentration of heavy animals in a confined space?

What do you think of the ones that grow together with brambles? One more hazard, or a culinary complement to the blackberries?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

We're a bit later in the year now. The first stingers of Spring have real bite. They get worn out by late Summer (or maybe people get "immune" to them). If you move between Spring and Summer that'd explain it.

Or they're "dead nettles" and you should be sucking the nectar from their flowers.

Yes juts after a dog has p1ssed on them

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

A rub with a dock leaf should sort it, take the sting away......they grow close to nettles for a reason. ;)

When I had a crap, at dad's allotment, I used them a bum-paper!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I know have a mental image of John Nettles rubbing his stem on Sting.

You have a more fertile (pun) imagination than I!

We have stacks of the buggers (I'm talking about the nettles) here. Got stung the other day getting into the car.

But then if I could be arsed to do some gardening, that probably wouldn't have happened.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived