House Price Crash Forum

Has Anyone Experienced Sleep Paralysis

Pent Up

HOLA441

I used to get this on a regular basis. It seems to come in phases where I will suffer "attacks" two or three times a week and then nothing for a year or more.

Basically it is a terrifying experience where your mind awakes from sleep but your body remains paralysed. Apparently while sleeping your body is paralysed to stop you enacting your dreams and injuring yourself. This in itself isn't so bad until you add an overwhelming sense of terror that something or someone is in the room to cause you harm. Then along with this the half asleep mind adds hallucinations to the real world. Normally a dark figure standing in the room. The worst experience I have had is where this figure moved over to the side of the bed to stand over me before rapidly bending down towards me. It was figure in a hood and the face was hidden until it moved down towards me and I saw the face was that of an old haggard witch!

It was happening so often at one point that I worked out that during the experience I could move my eyes to look around but otherwise am totally paralysed. I can grunt and control my breathing but not talk or shout. I have a signal now where I breath very rapidly which tells the wife to wake me and end the experience!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I used to get this, agree quite scary the first time it happened, after a while I got used to it, it's hard not to panick, but if you keep your calm it only takes a few seconds before you snap out of it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Yes when it happens regularly I can relax and not panic, and sometimes go straight back to sleep. It's hard to overcome the feeling of terror though! Also I try to keep my eyes shut to avoid any unwelcome visions or witches sitting on my chest!

It's strange how that throughout history the experience is very similar in most cases. For example a figure or being in the room, feeling of terror and in extreme circumstances the being strangling or sitting on the "victims" chest. I have had the witch/figure attempt to strangle me but thankfully never felt anything

HOLA445
HOLA446

I used to get this on a regular basis. It seems to come in phases where I will suffer "attacks" two or three times a week and then nothing for a year or more.

Basically it is a terrifying experience where your mind awakes from sleep but your body remains paralysed. Apparently while sleeping your body is paralysed to stop you enacting your dreams and injuring yourself. This in itself isn't so bad until you add an overwhelming sense of terror that something or someone is in the room to cause you harm. Then along with this the half asleep mind adds hallucinations to the real world. Normally a dark figure standing in the room. The worst experience I have had is where this figure moved over to the side of the bed to stand over me before rapidly bending down towards me. It was figure in a hood and the face was hidden until it moved down towards me and I saw the face was that of an old haggard witch!

It was happening so often at one point that I worked out that during the experience I could move my eyes to look around but otherwise am totally paralysed. I can grunt and control my breathing but not talk or shout. I have a signal now where I breath very rapidly which tells the wife to wake me and end the experience!

Not this, but had beer coma some times when I used to drink.

Basically, go out and drink 7-10 pints. When you go to sleep that's it, you will be paralysed for 10 hours or so and barely move.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I used to have this quite a lot, along with nightmares, night terrors the lot. When it happened it felt like there was some terrible presence in the room and once it felt like something was dragging my soul out of my body and off to somewhere bad. With monumental effort I used to be able to wake myself up after 30 seconds or so.

I realised this happened when I was too hot, especially after drinking booze and since then have made sure I don't have the thick duvet on in summer. Hasn't happened really since then.

The old woman bit happens a lot and is called "old hag" apparently. Weird how lots of different people get this same vision (although I've never had it myself). I'd like to know a scientific explanation for that - my guess is there isn't one.

I sometimes get a mild form of sleep paralysis still if I get back to sleep for a lie in, where it feels like a friendly and mischievous entity is behind me and poking me in the back. It's not really all that scary, just weird.

HOLA4412

Basically, go out and drink 7-10 pints. When you go to sleep that's it, you will be paralysed for 10 hours or so and barely move.

I'm hoping that's pints of Buckfast, or some high-strength Trappist monk shite you're talking about there like Sluggy...!

XYY

HOLA4413

Yep. I've had it once, very unpleasant. I hope I never have to experience it again. I read of it before though, so I wasn't completely freaked out when it happened. Just felt like I was paralysed and had to force my way free somehow, like being stuck underwater and freeing yourself to come up for air.

HOLA4414

I get this occasionally and there is little to predict when this happens.

When you realise you are in a dream and want to wake up, try shouting or breathing rapidly (like you say) - you can normally get your partner to wake you up (same signal I use, but I tell her to hit me hard!). If you sleep alone it won't work. But maybe shouting might wake youurself up eventually.

Normally, you'll realise it is a dream. Try not to panic and wake up, but try to control the dream. A terrifying moment can pass quickly. The dream might seem to go on for a long time, but I figure only minutes has passed in real time. Next time I am going to remember to think about surfing on a wave on the tropical ocean, which should change the subject.

You cannot move another part of your body. I tried pinching myself to wake up - and I see myself doing this in the dream, but it doesn't actually happen.

Never sleep on your front - this is probably the easiest way to get in this situation. Try to sleep on your side, and not on your back either.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Me too when I was younger, probably up to 14.

Definitely scarey the first few times, but after that I discovered I could either patiently wake up or go back to sleep.

Amended having read the whole post - I didn't have the witch bit. You may need to be more careful when picking up girls.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I used to have this quite a lot, along with nightmares, night terrors the lot. When it happened it felt like there was some terrible presence in the room and once it felt like something was dragging my soul out of my body and off to somewhere bad. With monumental effort I used to be able to wake myself up after 30 seconds or so.

I realised this happened when I was too hot, especially after drinking booze and since then have made sure I don't have the thick duvet on in summer. Hasn't happened really since then.

The old woman bit happens a lot and is called "old hag" apparently. Weird how lots of different people get this same vision (although I've never had it myself). I'd like to know a scientific explanation for that - my guess is there isn't one.

I sometimes get a mild form of sleep paralysis still if I get back to sleep for a lie in, where it feels like a friendly and mischievous entity is behind me and poking me in the back. It's not really all that scary, just weird.

Her name in Newfoundland mythology is Ag Rog (Old Hag), and she visited me once.

I had never heard of the Old Hag at the time.

I have been fascinated by the phenomenon - particularly it's consistency across time and cultures - ever since.

demonattack-450x251.jpg

HOLA4419

Same thing happened to me a while back and having never happened to me before I thought I'd had a stroke of some sort. Stuff of nightmares so I went back to sleep :D and woke up fine thinking what happened must have been a dream. This post is strangely reassuring knowing it's a common phenomenon.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Her name in Newfoundland mythology is Ag Rog (Old Hag), and she visited me once.

I had never heard of the Old Hag at the time.

I have been fascinated by the phenomenon - particularly it's consistency across time and cultures - ever since.

demonattack-450x251.jpg

Had it quite a lot from early 20`s to maybe early 30`s, never had it since. Once had it so bad, with the presence in the room, that I started saying the Lords Prayer until it stopped. The Old Hag syndrome is mentioned a lot in alleged alien abduction cases.

Another weird experience I had was at around 14 when my mum came into the bedroom to waken me up for school at about 8am, she said to get up and make sure I went in today,I went back to sleep for what felt like a minute or two at most, then heard my mum coming back into the house, she popped her head round the bedroom door, and I said "why are you back?"

She said "Because it is 4.30, my shift is finished, why do you think?" It was the deepest sleep I have ever had, it was almost like some kind of oblivion, total and without any dreams, and it has never happened again since then.

HOLA4422

Another weird experience I had was at around 14 when my mum came into the bedroom to waken me up for school at about 8am, she said to get up and make sure I went in today,I went back to sleep for what felt like a minute or two at most, then heard my mum coming back into the house, she popped her head round the bedroom door, and I said "why are you back?"

Did she leave a cup of tea at the side of the bed and say something like "Your father likes a nice cup of tea afterwards as well"?

HOLA4423

I used to get all kinds of weird dream stuff, Bizarrely it's never happened since I left Birmingham.

I'm now going to go into full on weirdo mode, because this sounds utterly bizarre, but I used to have experiences associated with sleep paralysis where I bacame convinced knowledge was being extracted directly from my brain. I can't explain it, and I know it sounds batshit, I can scarcely believe it myself and would never mention it outside the anonymity of an internet forum, but it really felt like my mind was connected to something else and stuff was being downloaded.

I had regular sleep paralysis episodes from my early teens, I never had the hag, but I had many experiences with an intense feeling of evil in the room. One that really sticks in my mind is when I was paralysed and could hear footsteps coming down our hallway, what I can only describe as an evil presence came in through the bedroom door and left via the window. Thing is, I know it's mental, it can't have been real, but I can't help thinking 'what if?'.

The other thing that used to happen was dreams of waking up. I've even had a weird inception style dream of dreaming of being awake. Now that did freak me out.

HOLA4424

I used to get all kinds of weird dream stuff, Bizarrely it's never happened since I left Birmingham.

I'm now going to go into full on weirdo mode, because this sounds utterly bizarre, but I used to have experiences associated with sleep paralysis where I bacame convinced knowledge was being extracted directly from my brain. I can't explain it, and I know it sounds batshit, I can scarcely believe it myself and would never mention it outside the anonymity of an internet forum, but it really felt like my mind was connected to something else and stuff was being downloaded.

I had regular sleep paralysis episodes from my early teens, I never had the hag, but I had many experiences with an intense feeling of evil in the room. One that really sticks in my mind is when I was paralysed and could hear footsteps coming down our hallway, what I can only describe as an evil presence came in through the bedroom door and left via the window. Thing is, I know it's mental, it can't have been real, but I can't help thinking 'what if?'.

The other thing that used to happen was dreams of waking up. I've even had a weird inception style dream of dreaming of being awake. Now that did freak me out.

Some researchers suggest that a lot of alien abduction stories arise from experiences of sleep paralysis.

Happily for me, the Old Hag doesn't use аnаl probes.

Edit: In your face, modbot!

HOLA4425

Archived