House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Vasectomy Can Increase Risk Of Developing Lethal Prostate Cancer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10959787/Vasectomy-can-increase-risk-of-developing-lethal-prostate-cancer.html

Men who have a vasectomy have an increased chance of developing prostate cancer and a higher risk of contracting the most aggressive form of the disease, a major study has found.

The Harvard research on 50,000 men - the largest study to examine the links between sterilisation and cancer - found that those who underwent the procedure had a 10 per cent higher chance of developing the disease.

It also found a sharp increase in the risk of contracting the most aggressive form of prostate cancer, although researchers cautioned that overall risk of such disease is lower.

The effect appeared to be stronger among men who had a vasectomy at a younger age, researchers said, with the chance of developing aggressive disease increasing in those who had a vasectomy before the age of 38.

Charities hailed the study as an “extremely important” finding and said men needed to be told more about the risks of vasectomies before taking decisions about contraception.

I simply refuse to have this done.

May be some truth in this. My old man had the procedure done in the mid 1970's...

He died in 2002 of guess what...........

three days ago the mail reported 'moderate' drinking is good for your health...today its 'moderate drinking gives you cancer'

I suspect this is similar...wonder if durex funded the research.

Not so sure. I looked into it. Your 'tubes are tied' - but you still produce sperm and it just seeps into the surrounding areas and disperses that way. Not meant to happen - so it can't be doing much good.

Everything you do nowadays creates some form of risk.....including crossing the road, less drugs more time or more drugs less time? depends on who is selling it to you...intuition counts for a lot and is usually right......when your time is up it is up, treat every day is a bonus. ;)

Everything you do nowadays creates some form of risk.....including crossing the road, less drugs more time or more drugs less time? depends on who is selling it to you...intuition counts for a lot and is usually right......when your time is up it is up, treat every day is a bonus. ;)

More drugs is the way forward - en route to Amsterdam right now :)

Me too.

Anyway , knowing my luck it would probably be completely ineffective as a form of sterilisation anyway. Both times we decided to have a kid(s), within a week of my wife coming off the pill she got pregnant immediately, to the extent her female friends were asking if I was disappointed. I suspect the little buggers would make there way out with grappling hooks and tunnel boring machines in the event of vasectomy - I now worry about sitting next to women on the tube.

Anyway not the most bizarre conception ever: http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/bullet.asp

Not so sure. I looked into it. Your 'tubes are tied' - but you still produce sperm and it just seeps into the surrounding areas and disperses that way. Not meant to happen - so it can't be doing much good.

Well exactly. The body was designed a certain way to function efficiently and 99% of the time it does a brilliant job. When "clever" people think they've devised ways to mess with it using surgery, that's when the trouble starts. Just because a harmful side effect isn't immediately apparent doesn't mean it doesn't exist long term. I'll avoid any surgery if I can. The risk of infection is becoming ever more dangerous too as antibiotics lose their potency.

Me too.

Anyway , knowing my luck it would probably be completely ineffective as a form of sterilisation anyway. Both times we decided to have a kid(s), within a week of my wife coming off the pill she got pregnant immediately, to the extent her female friends were asking if I was disappointed. I suspect the little buggers would make there way out with grappling hooks and tunnel boring machines in the event of vasectomy - I now worry about sitting next to women on the tube.

Anyway not the most bizarre conception ever: http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/bullet.asp