House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Tory Councillor 'laments Closure Of Workhouses' In Meeting About Mental Health Services

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-councillor-laments-closure-of-workhouses-in-meeting-about-mental-health-services-9596685.html

A Tory councillor has been accused of bringing the party into disrepute after he appeared to express regret that the workhouses had been closed down – in a meeting about mental health services.

Michael Hytche’s comments were branded “Victorian thinking” by the Lib Dem opposition of Torbay Council in Devon, where the Conservatives have the majority.

But councillors said that instead of lobbying to keep existing services, Mr Hytche’s only contribution to the meeting was reportedly to lament the loss of a system whereby the poor and mentally ill were required to carry out manual labour in exchange for food, fuel and clothing.

According to the Torquay Herald Express, Mr Hytche said: “Since the workhouses have been closed down, what has been put in their place? As far as I can see, nothing has been.”

The Lib Dem councillor Mark Pountney told the local newspaper that the reaction at the health scrutiny board meeting was “stunned silence”.

Workhouses for the mentally ill, I think it should work as a plan.

I'm sorry but I can imagine nick Clegg supporting a Tory plan to bring back workhouses.

But I'm sure he'd then release a youtube video expressing 'regret' for 'making hard choices to screw over the weak for a laugh'. Actually, probably not the last bit.

We should also ask him how the whole 'civil liberties' thing is going right now, what with the emergency 'We need to put a webcam up everyone's jacksy' legislation going through.

But I'm sure he'd then release a youtube video expressing 'regret' for 'making hard choices to screw over the weak for a laugh'. Actually, probably not the last bit.

We should also ask him how the whole 'civil liberties' thing is going right now, what with the emergency 'We need to put a webcam up everyone's jacksy' legislation going through.

I had the latest betrayal by Clegg in mind when I made my post. The despair of Lib Dems is tangible if you take a look at libdemvoice.org

Did he mean madhouses not workhouses?

It shows why I'd never fancy a career in politics / the public eye.

Say something innocent and well intentioned.. Get quoted completely out of context and lampooned for it.

When you read the quote he just says why hasn't any decent support/infrastructure been put in place since the closure of the workhouses (yes, he probably did mean mad houses). I don't see any reference to him suggesting either should be bought back in their original form.

I'm sorry but I can imagine nick Clegg supporting a Tory plan to bring back workhouses.

Call them universities, charge the 'guests' a fortune for the privilege and bobs your uncle.

Cleggie will roll over quicker than a little one can say rollover, rollover.

Obiwan Cam-obi : these are not the social injustices you are looking for.

Stormtrooper Clegg : These are not the social injustices I am looking for. Please move along.

Care in the community....except the community doesn't care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friern_Hospital the land was well worth building on.

....no they are not lunatics, they are people with complex emotional issues where if you ignore it it will go away....but of course anything that is ignored never goes away, it grows two fold until it can no longer be ignored......everyone therfore will see it and will be affected by it. ;)

We have plenty of jobs for the mentally ill in modern society, members of the lords, shopping trolley collecting, queues for the latest apple product, etc.

Like they do in the USA. (what on earth do these people do when unemployment benefit stops?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

Incarceration in the United States of America is one of the main forms of punishment, rehabilitation, or both for the commission of felony and other offenses. The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world. At year-end 2009, it was 743 adults incarcerated per 100,000 population.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), 2,266,800 adults were incarcerated in U.S. federal and state prisons, and county jails at year-end 2011 – about 0.94% of adults in the U.S. resident population. Additionally, 4,814,200 adults at year-end 2011 were on probation or on parole. In total, 6,977,700 adults were under correctional supervision (probation, parole, jail, or prison) in 2011 – about 2.9% of adults in the U.S. resident population. A 2014 report published by the National Research Council asserts that the prison population of the United States "is by far the largest in the world. Just under one-quarter of the world's prisoners are held in American prisons."

In addition, there were 70,792 juveniles in juvenile detention in 2010.

Although debtor's prisons no longer exist in the United States, residents of some U.S. states can still be incarcerated for debt as of 2014.

According to a 2014 report by Human Rights Watch, "tough-on-crime" laws adopted since the 1980s have filled U.S. prisons with mostly nonviolent offenders.

Call them universities, charge the 'guests' a fortune for the privilege and bobs your uncle.

Shh they'll be doing that for the dole soon.