House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

First 3 Weekly Bin Collection Announced

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2687393/Council-England-collect-household-rubbish-THREE-weeks.html

Council becomes first in England to collect household rubbish every THREE weeks
  • Bury Council say decision will save £1million a year and boost recycling
  • Residents fear it will lead to rubbish-strewn streets, more rats and a stench
  • Tory minister says Labour is moving towards monthly bin collections

Can't wait for the first botulism outbreak.

No doubt that won't be the fault of some highly paid council executive.

We go through about 100 nappies a week. I can't imagine the stench of 300 nappies sitting in a warm bin after 3 weeks! I hope they get a discount on their council tax!

We go through about 100 nappies a week. I can't imagine the stench of 300 nappies sitting in a warm bin after 3 weeks! I hope they get a discount on their council tax!

Imagine how much worse it would be if you had kids.

As there are only 2 of us and we don't use a lot of pre-packed food normally our bin is 1/2 full at the end of 2 weeks, and I then fill it with garden waste of whatever that could go to the tip.

I'd hate to think what a 'normal' family would produce in that same time, with pre-packed food packaging and less recycling management. I suspect many people will just end up dumping the excess where they can...

As there are only 2 of us and we don't use a lot of pre-packed food normally our bin is 1/2 full at the end of 2 weeks, and I then fill it with garden waste of whatever that could go to the tip.

I'd hate to think what a 'normal' family would produce in that same time, with pre-packed food packaging and less recycling management. I suspect many people will just end up dumping the excess where they can...

Or you watch while a neighbor comes over and puts his rubbish into your bin when he thinks your not looking.

most of the people that moan about less frequent refuse collections are irresponsible types who don't think (or care about) the impact their lifestyle has on the environment and society as a whole

Council pensions aren't cheap.

Soon you will just get a map of where the household waste is, with your council tax bill.

How long before the only people working in local government are managers?

At which point everyone needs to stop paying the council tax, as the managers will just delegate down the chain... but wait, there's no one who's job it is to actually call the bailiffs in!

Most of the time this wouldn't be a problem for us. We do occasionally have a full bin but mostly when I bring other people's crap off the allotment to put in our bin rather than let it blow about.

The only bin we fill nearly every fortnight is the paper recycling and if I actually squashed the cat food boxes then it'd last longer.

You should be changing the nappy every third day. ;)

Most of the time this wouldn't be a problem for us. We do occasionally have a full bin but mostly when I bring other people's crap off the allotment to put in our bin rather than let it blow about.

The only bin we fill nearly every fortnight is the paper recycling and if I actually squashed the cat food boxes then it'd last longer.

Can't you dry and burn it all on a dull, low wind evening after the neighbours have taken the washing in? invite a few friends around. ;)

I apologise! I didn't know you had a "condition"! I just usually have a crap in the morning, before I have a bath, and put my trousers on!

I think the expectation is, you recycle them. :wacko:

I apologise! I didn't know you had a "condition"! I just usually have a crap in the morning, before I have a bath, and put my trousers on!

Thanks for that. I now know why my bath takes a long time to empty.

In our part of Nottinghamshire recycling is so limited all the houses fill their normal bins for the fortnightly collection. For example we can only recycle three types of plastic and can't really even do that as it's restricted to shampoo bottles etc but we worked out the types of plastic they take. No green waste allowed either.

I fully expect this to be a trial case and when there isn't enough of a backlash it will be rolled out nationally.

Would the trial area be one where the citizens don't speak a lot of English, are invisible illegal immigrants or other factors making it likely there won't be a lot of complaints?

Terry towelling... Flush it then wash it.

There is real scope for a widespread towelling nappy service, IMO. Disposables must make up a huge amount of stinking landfill.

I wonder whether anyone still uses the old terry nappies and just washes them?