House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

700 X 42C Tyre Replacement?

I have a hybrid bike with some 700 x 42c tyres on it that needs replacing. I can't find 700 x 42c tyres so does anyone know if I can replace them with 700 x 40c tyres.

I suspect that I can but would welcome any advice from cycling gurus.

I am thinking of using these Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700X40C Tyres which are a bargain at the below link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Cruiser-700X40C-Puncture-Protection/dp/B000Q14DGU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I have a hybrid bike with some 700 x 42c tyres on it that needs replacing. I can't find 700 x 42c tyres so does anyone know if I can replace them with 700 x 40c tyres.

I am thinking of using these Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700X40C Tyres which are a bargain at the below link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Cruiser-700X40C-Puncture-Protection/dp/B000Q14DGU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Yes, that will work fine.

Thanks.

Just discovered that the pedals are seized up attached to the crank arm.. One is broken and so I need to replace them. Drat - am waiting for oil to do it miracle loosening stuff.

Thanks.

Just discovered that the pedals are seized up attached to the crank arm.. One is broken and so I need to replace them. Drat - am waiting for oil to do it miracle loosening stuff.

Bear in mind that one of the pedals has a thread that goes in the opposite direction to normal, so it's easy to tighten it up when you're trying to loosen it.

Quick Google:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Pedals/Removing_pedals

http://www.condorcycles.com/workshop/how-to-remove-pedals.html

Thanks - just doubled checked a youtube video to make sure I was not c*cking it up. The oil worked a treat - left it five minutes and it did its job.

I bought this globe ladies bike for a gf of mine about 6 or 7 years ago and, well, we split up about 6 weeks later so I got the bike back. It sat in the garage ever since until, back in May, my main bike got a puncture and I thought what the heck.

To cut a long story short it is a joy to ride and I use it to go shopping. The wide ladies saddle is playing hell with my man tackle though and I developed crotch rot for the first time in all my years of cycling. Finally realised why us men have to have long narrow saddles - to let the air circulate.

Anyhow, I got a puncture on this bike last week and one of the pedals has broken so I thought I may as well get a couple of new tyres and some replacement pedals for it as it is fun to ride.

Now that you have a "girl's bike" you can go shopping in a dress, athough your avatar suggests you would not dress so modestly! :blink:

Yes, the x 42c bit is almost irrelevant. You could likely use 38c, 35c, 32c or even 28c as long as they are 700c

The cruiser 40c is a nice enough tyre though - go for that

Now that you have a "girl's bike" you can go shopping in a dress, athough your avatar suggests you would not dress so modestly! :blink:

Been doing that for years - ah, the feel of the breeze is so exhilarating.

Yes, the x 42c bit is almost irrelevant. You could likely use 38c, 35c, 32c or even 28c as long as they are 700c

The cruiser 40c is a nice enough tyre though - go for that

The local shops wanted £20 to £30 per tyre. Found a seller on Amazon flogging them for £11 each. As I was about to order another seller popped up in my Amazon adverts selling 2 for £15 delivered. Did a check of their seller rating and they have 98% positive rating so I now await what I will get for my cash.

I've just checked my car tyres, 235/60 R16 size! Are you sure you don't have a tractor? 700 tyres sound like something of a water canon! :blink:

I've just checked my car tyres, 235/60 R16 size! Are you sure you don't have a tractor? 700 tyres sound like something of a water canon! :blink:

You know what they say about men with big wheels.... Nah, neither do I.

If they are Schwalbe and puncture proof - they will be quality. Heavy and pricy - but will roll well and not worrying about punctures is brilliant.

That's the plan.

The one issue is usually putting them on - although yours are fairly narrow so don't be too horrendous. Pal showed me bloke on you tube with way to do it hands only. Will find the link - amazing.

In car parlance the tyres would be approx 42/xx R27

Dunno if bike tyres commonly list profile, usually just diameter (mm for road bikes, inches for mountain) and width.

Quite a confusing array of 'standard' sizes 650&700mm for road bikes, 26" and29" for mountains.

Almost as bad as camera/vidro display ratios 4:3 compact camera or phone, 3:2 SLR, 16:9 widescreen telly.