House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

What Is It That Coulson Is Serving Time For?

'Emergency' powers. Errrr what emergency?

'Special' cabinet meeting. Errr.....why the rush?

'Three party agreement' Errr......1 party state?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28237111

An emergency law to ensure police and security services can continue to access people's phone and internet records is expected to be approved at a special cabinet meeting later.

The Data Retention and Investigation Powers Bill is backed by all main parties and needed to fight "criminals and terrorists", David Cameron says.

It comes after the European Court of Justice ruled against existing laws.

The planned speed of the new law was called a "stitch up" by one Labour MP.

Tom Watson said rushing the bill through Parliament meant MPs would not get time to properly consider the plans.

A special cabinet meeting is being held on Thursday to agree the planned laws, which will have a "sunset clause" meaning they will lapse in 2016.

In a statement ahead of the meeting the prime minister said: "It is the first duty of government to protect our national security and to act quickly when that security is compromised. As events in Iraq and Syria demonstrate, now is not the time to be scaling back on our ability to keep our people safe.

"The ability to access information about communications and intercept the communications of dangerous individuals is essential to fight the threat from criminals and terrorists targeting the UK.

"No government introduces fast-track legislation lightly. But the consequences of not acting are grave.

"I want to be very clear that we are not introducing new powers or capabilities - that is not for this Parliament. This is about restoring two vital measures ensuring that our law enforcement and intelligence agencies maintain the right tools to keep us all safe."

'Snooper's charter'

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, whose Lib Dem party has blocked Conservative plans for security services to have wider access to communications powers said the emergency legislation balanced security and civil liberties.

He said: "We know the consequences of not acting are serious, but this urgency will not be used as an excuse for more powers, or for a 'snooper's charter'.

"I believe that successive governments have neglected civil liberties in the pursuit of greater security. We will be the first government in many decades to increase transparency and oversight and make significant progress in defence of liberty."

Among measures which he says will "increases transparency and oversight" are:

• A senior diplomat will be appointed to lead discussions with the US government and internet firms to establish a new international agreement for sharing data between legal jurisdictions
  • The creation of a new Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board to examine the impact of the law on privacy and civil liberties
  • A review of the controversial RIPA - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act
  • Annual government transparency reports on how these powers are used
  • A restriction on the number of public bodies able to ask for communications data
  • The so-called sunset clause ensuring these powers end in 2016 to ensure a longer and wider debate about what replaces them

BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson said there was still bound to be opposition to the plan: "Critics will no doubt argue that the time for that debate is now. To pass any new law in just a week is rare. So too is it to have the backing of all three main parties even before it is published.

"On a subject as sensitive as giving the police and security services access to phone and internet data this is bound to be controversial."

Communications data is said by the government to have been used in 95% of all serious organised crime cases handled by the Crown Prosecution Service.

The data that the bill covers is the detail of when a call was made and who it was made by and to, rather than the actual content of the call.

Freedoms protected by the European Court of Justice, ripped away by the British establishment.

Which side are they on again?

Freedoms protected by the European Court of Justice, ripped away by the British establishment.

With modern data storage and almost instant retrieval, we need more protection of freedoms, not less. Next we'll have laws making it an offence not to report a crime.

Tri-partite consensus at Westminster? On this and every other material issue.

He's probably "doing time" for somebody more famous, that we haven't found yet! :unsure:

George Orwell's book 1984 was supposed to be a warning not a fecking blueprint..............

A few months of time inside might do him a world of good...give him a bit of humility....anyway didn't he use to work on the public payroll once, a public servant?

George Orwell's book 1984 was supposed to be a warning not a fecking blueprint..............

Quite!......... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/emergency-data-law-government-railroading-through-legislation-on-internet-and-phone-records-9596695.html

David Cameron is planning to revive the controversial “snoopers’ charter” through a wide-ranging review of the laws allowing public bodies to access private communications, which he announced today alongside emergency surveillance legislation.

The “Big Brother” law backed by the Prime Minister and Theresa May, the Home Secretary, would require internet firms to store records of every website visited by subscribers in the past 12 months and their use of social media.

Nothing on the BBC about it having been sneaked through parliament? False Alarm?

A couple of friends from here were kind enough to RT my direct response to David Cameron's tweet, which to paraphrase was that:

"I'd rather risk being blown up than pay taxes for you to spy on me".

As a (Geo)Libertarian that is honestly my position. I'm far more worried about the government cocking things up than I am about being blown up on a tube train or on a plane. I'll take my chances thank you very much, and if you could stop wasting my taxes getting involved in the middle east so much the better.

With modern data storage and almost instant retrieval, we need more protection of freedoms, not less. Next we'll have laws making it an offence not to report a crime.

And then it will be an offence to fail to report that an offence has not been reported...

But it won't be too inconvenient. they won't bother with a trial, and they will deduct the fine from your bank account directly without bothering with a Court order.

And then it will be an offence to fail to report that an offence has not been reported...

But it won't be too inconvenient. they won't bother with a trial, and they will deduct the fine from your bank account directly without bothering with a Court order.

If you are not vigilant you may not notice that you have been convicted and fined for an offence captured on camera and corroborated by the GPS chip in your phone.

Never mind though, if you've nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

A few months of time inside might do him a world of good...give him a bit of humility....anyway didn't he use to work on the public payroll once, a public servant?

Of course, most ordinary people who do a spell inside will have their careers ruined, and find it hard to get back to normal life. The naughty elite always seem to land on their feet with opportunities in the media awaiting.

Nothing on the BBC about it having been sneaked through parliament? False Alarm?

A couple of friends from here were kind enough to RT my direct response to David Cameron's tweet, which to paraphrase was that:

As a (Geo)Libertarian that is honestly my position. I'm far more worried about the government cocking things up than I am about being blown up on a tube train or on a plane. I'll take my chances thank you very much, and if you could stop wasting my taxes getting involved in the middle east so much the better.

Me too!

If you are not vigilant you may not notice that you have been convicted and fined for an offence captured on camera and corroborated by the GPS chip in your phone.

Never mind though, if you've nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

Or they will notice that you are moving towards commiting a crime and take pre-crime action against you.

Didn't Blair have a go at getting that one through?

Yep. Even proposed identifying unborn babies that were 'at risk' of growing up as criminals, and proposing that the state intervene at birth. At the moment they don't intervene until you vote UKIP, which is leaving things a bit late in the statist's opinion.

At airports they are trialling software that tries to identify criminals and potential terrorists from the way they walk.

Soon the gyroscope and accelerometers built into your iPhone will be reporting you to the Police. You will be arrested for 'walking in a funny way'. Then they'll send the drones in.

Yep. Even proposed identifying unborn babies that were 'at risk' of growing up as criminals, and proposing that the state intervene at birth. At the moment they don't intervene until you vote UKIP, which is leaving things a bit late in the statist's opinion.

At airports they are trialling software that tries to identify criminals and potential terrorists from the way they walk.

Soon the gyroscope and accelerometers built into your iPhone will be reporting you to the Police. You will be arrested for 'walking in a funny way'. Then they'll send the drones in.

There's always the "pimp swagger" but you don't need a machine to identify that!

well governments( both of red and ultra theocratic variety), have a habit of violating their power.

if they are that concerned about terrorism then we should be armed, plain and simple.

take these school shooting in the US as an example....more often than not these murderers will turn the gun on themselves once the police turn up(but that is usually some minutes later after the extended killing spree...so they know they're going to die anyway..either in the shoot-out or get executed)

so why not have a couple of teachers armed in the first place,in which case the valuable seconds/minutes before the police turn up might stop the shooter in his tracks.

the point here is the politicians etc are out for control, this is nothing to do with public safety, and they are willing to use the kids as propaganda tools.they are very dangerous people indeed.