House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Tuc Counts Cost Of Austerity On Public Sector Pay

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/09/tuc-public-sector-workers-worse-off-austerity

Public sector workers are £2,245 worse off as a result of the coalition's austerity policies, according to the Trades Union Congress.

NHS staff, teachers, firefighters and local government workers are among those that have lost out following pay freezes and limited pay rises since the government took office, the TUC said.

The figures, which show the average fall in real terms pay suffered by workers since May 2010, were published a day before a wave of strikes among UK public sector workers over pay, pensions and working conditions. Government policies on public sector pay have had a big impact on the spending power of almost six million UK households, according to the TUC.

Among those taking part in the day-long protest across the UK on Thursday will be home helps, refuse collectors, teachers, firefighters, civil servants and transport workers.

TUC general secretary Frances O'Grady said: "The economy may be picking up, but having paid the price in pay freezes and below inflation pay increases for several years there is to be no financial let up for town hall employees and other public sector workers. For them there are no shares to be had in the UK's economic recovery. Instead several more years of penny-pinching and frugal living lie ahead.

"In local government – and right across the public sector – workers believe that ministers neither care about nor understand the pressures on their already stretched household budgets. Meanwhile the government seems happy for the public purse to miss out on billions through income tax cuts for the wealthy and corporation tax reductions for big businesses, yet says there's no money to give a decent pay rise to struggling care assistants, nursery workers, dinner ladies and other local authority employees."

Perhaps if the govt generated it's own money, but then if the govt did that those assets would be privatised.

£2,245 worse off as a result of ... limited pay rises

Presumably private sector self employed with fewer clients and jobs, having to cut prices to get enough work, are therefore better off?

Maybe if the public sector stopped paying those at the top so much aswell as expecting the private sector to fund pensions for especially police and fireman to retire in their 50s that are akin to a lottery win then the nursery workers they so worry about would get paid a little more.

Though i do wonder how much they expect dinner ladies to be paid, minimum wage is more then enough for standing around gossiping.

Edited by Corruption

The missing bit when you compare public and private sector pay is that golden final salary pension.

Headline pay figures are quoted but that pension is such a huge financial advantage over the private sector that people will moan and moan but won't leave because they know that pension makes them better off.

I am one of the fortunate few with a final salary pension, my employer's contribution is like a further 20%+ of pay if I gross it up. And I see it in those terms even if the majority don't. So anybody on a headline rate of £60k would have to make £72k in the private sector to match it.

I don't have much sympathy tbh, they're on a good thing and secretly know it hence the strikes are token one day efforts.

considering the Public Sector Party (aka Labour) caused this f*cking mess then why must they be immune to the cost of sorting it out?

morons

considering the Public Sector Party (aka Labour) caused this f*cking mess then why must they be immune to the cost of sorting it out?

morons

This mess was not caused by Firefighters,Nurses,Teachers and other essential service providers but the greed of the Bankers leveraging up the system through their greed and the politicians (Labour) bailing them out.

It seems you have fallen for the scape goats and seem happy to bash the wrong people.

Can we not all be tarred with the same brush please. I realise there are a hell of a lot of public sector "workers" that have the final salary pension but there are the new breed that don't, and are picking up the mess as best we can.

My father worked 30 years for the same company and gets more from his private FS pension than me and my brother earn combined, certainly better than most public sector pensions at that time as well.

This isn't a public private debate, companies promised too much to too many for too long.

Spare a thought for those of us who, whether its public or private sector (and I've worked in both), are getting paid less because of reckless promises made before we were born.

Besides the hypocrisy of this forum is baffling at times, I've never known so many posts to be made during working hours (this is my lunch break btw).

FWIW the laziest people I've worked with were all in the private sector, the difference of course that they were fired with ease, although it took the managers longer to realise a problem. Here in the public sector the managers know who they want to get rid of, but can't.

Can we not all be tarred with the same brush please. I realise there are a hell of a lot of public sector "workers" that have the final salary pension but there are the new breed that don't, and are picking up the mess as best we can.

My father worked 30 years for the same company and gets more from his private FS pension than me and my brother earn combined, certainly better than most public sector pensions at that time as well.

This isn't a public private debate, companies promised too much to too many for too long.

Spare a thought for those of us who, whether its public or private sector (and I've worked in both), are getting paid less because of reckless promises made before we were born.

Besides the hypocrisy of this forum is baffling at times, I've never known so many posts to be made during working hours (this is my lunch break btw).

FWIW the laziest people I've worked with were all in the private sector, the difference of course that they were fired with ease, although it took the managers longer to realise a problem. Here in the public sector the managers know who they want to get rid of, but can't.

Four hour lunch break is it? ;)

Agreed that the private / public comparison is not as clear-cut as it was as shown by the LGPS going to career average this year from final salary, and I know somebody who was able to buy IIRC another twenty years of pension contributions for peanuts as part of a redundancy deal, that was worth an absolute fortune and gave an extremely comfortable retirement and is typical of the largesse that we are now all paying for.

However I have worked for a council and it was, as regards the office staff, everything the stereotypes say it is. There were rare hard-working exceptions but the majority were time-servers who thought they were underpaid, when given their level of production they were actually massively overpaid. There had been a big restructure including pay cuts through dropping grades a year before which had made many of them look for other work. They found that they couldn't get it so were sat there working not very hard and moaning. There was significant outsourcing planned because I think that this had been recognised.

This is the thing that you arent getting, if your fathers company pays out too generous pensions it will go out of business and those in receipt of them will lose, and the amount of final salary pensions in the private sector is far less pro rata.

If the govt pays out too much in pensions then those in the private sector have to fund them, but you think those in the private sector should say absolutely nothing about this. That really is the thinking of those indoctrinated in the public sector.

And thats a nice early lunch youre having.

I think the public sector are suffering from the fall out from that idiot Brown's big client state funded by big finance.

Apparently Gordy-the-morons light touch regulation - and heavy tax take - did not pan out.

What could possibly go wrong with RBS and the like massively expanding?

After all, Gordon and Ballsup created a nuvo-nirvana.

All those made up jobs - Teacher assistants, NVQ assessors, legions of health workers, etc etc etc.

All those 'hard working' fmailies slaving away for 16 - count them! - hours and pulling in 25K.

Where do I vote to get all this back in place?????