House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Managers 'work Extra Day Per Week In Unpaid Overtime'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28220312

Almost half of UK managers work an extra day of unpaid overtime per week, a study into working practices has suggested.

Work pressures and easy access to email through smartphone technology leave over 90% of managers working outside contracted hours, the study found.

Around 13% of managers work two days unpaid overtime per week, the Institute of Leadership and Management said.

Business lobby group CBI said UK firms are addressing the issue.

Around two thirds of UK managers feel under pressure to work extra hours from their employers, the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) said.

If you have your work email on your smart phone it still requires you to look at it!!!

Is this a claim to justify higher wages for managers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28220312

If you have your work email on your smart phone it still requires you to look at it!!!

Is this a claim to justify higher wages for managers?

Recognising reality IMO.

I'm back to not being a manager (from choice) and the much cushier life more than makes up for the lower pay.

I'd very much agree with this. I reckon I must get contacted a couple of times a month via email/text after 10pm at night. That means that not only is the boss who sent it is working late, but they have an expectation that I will probably see and respond.

They are nearly all described as "urgent" requests. Partly, it's the nature of the 24 hour globalised world we now work in. A decade or so back, no-one would have done that because it was hardly possible, and mostly wouldn't have mattered.

The landline now gets switched off at night though as my standard working was regularly bleeding into 6, 7, or 8pm i.e. I just finish something, then someone would ring it and ask for something else.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

im on holiday this week and my texted me 3 times and phoned me asking to fix somethink for customer. i just ignored the call not very happy with him as i not had pay rise for a while.

im on holiday this week and my texted me 3 times and phoned me asking to fix somethink for customer. i just ignored the call not very happy with him as i not had pay rise for a while.

Exactly. And this is the crux of it IMO - companies are wanting ever more from you. Some literally want to own you. Yet there aren't prepared to pay for it. F**k 'em. I get home, the phone gets switched off until I'm back in the office the next morning.

Edited by dpg50000

Having seen my salary not grow at a point of promotion as I believed it should; I decided to give myself a payrise by

a) getting in early, and leaving early to shorten the commute time.

B) taking a full hour for lunch

c) doing my exact contracted hours

d) lumping everything above the personal allowance into the pension.

i now earn the same net equivalent of someone who nominally is paid double my (full time) salary. my effective hourly rate is almost unquestionably now the highest in the office - above people three grades above me. they work 60-70 hour weeks, I work a third of that (part time anyway).

immensely satisfying and so much less stress and time for me :-)

Having seen my salary not grow at a point of promotion as I believed it should; I decided to give myself a payrise by

a) getting in early, and leaving early to shorten the commute time.

B) taking a full hour for lunch

c) doing my exact contracted hours

d) lumping everything above the personal allowance into the pension.

i now earn the same net equivalent of someone who nominally is paid double my (full time) salary. my effective hourly rate is almost unquestionably now the highest in the office - above people three grades above me. they work 60-70 hour weeks, I work a third of that (part time anyway).

immensely satisfying and so much less stress and time for me :-)

Yep. After working my nuts off for years, and being continually jerked around for promotions and pay rises that never come, I've realised that I don't actually need that extra money, and my health, well-being and free time is worth far more to me. Same for me as it is for you - I now do only my contracted hours, make sure to take my full lunch and generally work at a more relaxed pace. It's very liberating once you step away from the madness and realise that work is only a means to an end, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Edited by dpg50000

This is surely absolutely normal.

Nor is it just managers. In any professional occupation, you'll barely be tolerated and certainly won't be considered for career advancement if you don't put in the unpaid overtime. I don't know if some "political correctness" card might get around that, but I don't recollect a case of "my children come first and it's sexist not to promote me" anywhere I've worked.

Yep. After working my nuts off for years, and being continually jerked around for promotions and pay rises that never come, I've realised that I don't actually need that extra money, and my health, well-being and free time is worth far more to me. Same for me as it is for you - I now do only my contracted hours, make sure to take my full lunch and generally work at a more relaxed pace. It's very liberating once you step away from the madness and realise that work is only a means to an end, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

You nicked my story ... :P

Except, I now also work from home (or wherever I happen to be with laptop and wifi).

I have never done a job where I haven't worked more than the 'official' hours. I think that is one reason why I'm fortunate enough to earn more than most of my cohort from 30 years ago - because I learnt more than them in the time available. However, I don't do calls at home unless emergencies, don't work weekends unless my family is away without me, and don't call those that work for me outside office hours unless, again, it is a true emergency. I also have set lines in terms of night when I am not going to work past 1700 (example: I have a evening out with my wife or a good mate).

My test is : Is someone going to die? If not, it will wait 99% of the time.

If you don't push back on demands, work will happily take 23 hours of your day.

Not on....give them an inch and they will take a mile...little respect in you or your own free time imo.....anyway giving them more of your free time is effectively a pay drop. ;)

Edited by winkie

Work to live, not live to work... I've never done any overtime, paid or otherwise, and that's how I like it!

Not earning the most, but far from earning the least . On my deathbed I don't think my regret is going to be 'didn't spend enough hours working for The Man', that's for sure..

I know managers that work 6, 7 or 8 days straight including the Sunday before getting a day off. Coming in early by an hour and staying another hour for free. And still not all the work is done, and the time in lieu is rarely taken. I wont mention the company but it will come to a head one day and I can bump this post.

Tag "eight days straight sh4t company"

Edited by 200p

Aren't most, if not all, manager type roles salaried anyway? I know my contract is. You are contracted to work for NO LESS than 37.5 hours a week so overtime in the contractual sense doesn't even come into it.

I know peers of mine that email and stuff right up to late at night. Madness!

My wife was like this. Droned on and on for over five years about being continuously past over for promotion and pay rises especially as the dross kept getting promoted out of harms way (usually as an exit strategy - up and out). In January, I snapped and told her if she didn't like the job (and people) she did to both incidentally) then leave. I found a random job (in her field of expertise) on-line that evening and made her apply ostensibly for the practice. She got an interview, then a second putting across in writing her salary expectations and finally a meeting with the company CEO once an offer of employment was made/accepted. 6 weeks in and it's the second best decision of her life (first marrying me). 50% more pay and already been given a clear career development path to be the next MD. Moral of the story, if you think you are worth more then you probably are.

In answer to the question my wife easily works the extra day or two.

Edited by longtomsilver2

Exactly. And this is the crux of it IMO - companies are wanting ever more from you. Some literally want to own you. Yet there aren't prepared to pay for it.

I get $500 a week for being on call, and $200 every time I get called.

I really need to add more bugs to our software to pay for the new car...