House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's quite hard to find a wine over 14%! 12.5% is good!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2684933/House-wine-no-stronger-12-5-Government-deal-alcohol-industry-cut-binge-drinking.html

Can't say I've ever been in a pub and asked for "house wine".

Isn't this some sort of pointless tinkering round the edges of the problem ?

Indeed, entirely pointless. Why have they wasted their time with ths legislation? Why has the Daily Mail printed it? Why have I read it? Why am I typing this?

Indeed, entirely pointless. Why have they wasted their time with ths legislation? Why has the Daily Mail printed it? Why have I read it? Why am I typing this?

You can't stop yourself.

But you can stick two fingers up in the face of the nanny state by ordering a bottle of scotch with your next meal.

You can't stop yourself.

But you can stick two fingers up in the face of the nanny state by ordering a bottle of scotch with your next meal.

:D

You have inspired me to go down the off licence to get some beers in for the Germany Brazil game.

And if I didn't find them so entirely disgusting I would be buying super strength lager in big cans.

I had four cans of Special Brew last year, it took me two nights to drink them because they were so absolutely foul.

You have inspired me to go down the off licence to get some beers in for the Germany Brazil game.

And if I didn't find them so entirely disgusting I would be buying super strength lager in big cans.

I had four cans of Special Brew last year, it took me two nights to drink them because they were so absolutely foul.

One of the great things about special brew is that if you can't finish it you can always use it to rub down your alloys.

By gosh! That stuff's horrible! If you want "decent lager" and there is such a thing, stick to the Polish/Czech/German stuff!

You didn't chill it enough.

I had 3 bottles of bud last night. My head is killing.

Tbh 14% is run of the mill for a New World red, but about tops for Europe because of the climate. Put is this way my £3.99 bottle of choice from Tesco will be a 14% merlot, shiraz or pinotage.

If you favour bitter French wine you should be OK ( a different fermentation method favouring the skins and better for you rich in flavonoids) but for me crisp fruity New World 14% plonk at less than £4 a bottle. Blind tesing show 90% of the public favour the plonk and think it is the £20 a bottle stuff...and they think the premium bitter European red is the plonk. But when it comes to buying many will avoid the cheapest so they aren't labelled skinflinteratti.