House Price Crash Forum

Daily Wail Article About £500K Devon Mansion

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2684659/Devon-manor-28-bedrooms-sale-500-000-35-times-size-average-home.html

A 28-bedroom country manor has been put on the market for only £500,000 - because it is simply too big.

Stunning Moreton House is a Grade II-listed ‘gentleman’s residence’ in Moretonhampstead, Devon, which is spread over a staggering 34,250 sq ft.

This makes it around 35 times the size of the average UK home and more than half the size of a football pitch.

According to the estate agents, Jackson-Stops & Staff

http://www.jackson-stops.co.uk/cgi-bin/properties/summary-details.pl?propID=57532

The house is in Bideford, at least an hours drive away from Moretonhampstead, which is on the edge of Dartmoor.

Still, seems cheap.

article-2684659-1F78B62500000578-622_964

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I remember when I was growing up in the north in the seventies that people really did not want big

old houses. Costly to heat, loads of maintenance, if listed a liability. I was one told by someone from Norfolk that the reason Bernard Matthews made it big is that rather than spending money on new barns like his competitors, he simply bought rambling old mansions and let the turkeys run loose In them. I can see this turning circle in the next 10-20 years.

HOLA446

I agree with the comments above. Shows some people are waking up.

Grade II listed means massive liabilities and busy bodies poking their nose in every time you want to make any changes. So no redevelopment into flats unless you have mega money for bribes.

Two pictures, suspicious much, are those the only two that aren't infested and rotting.

Apart from the building costs, you have to factor heating, gardening, council tax and numerous other ongoing bills.

Heating, this gets its own comment. Because given the pictures we do have, huge single glazed windows, high ceilings, massive rooms, the EPC link gives you the floor plans. You might as well be living in a tent outdoors it will be as energy efficient as this pile.

Oh and once you have got it habitable, you are then a massive target for crime.

HOLA447

The first house we had a mortgage on was 120sqm Victorian Terrace - never again, it was cold and damp even after I spent a painstaking amount of time, effort and money attempting to bring it to modern standards.

The late 90's house we rented in Ireland was about 200sqm, that was cold and expensive to heat.

The 1970's 85sqm bungalow we are currently renting is warm and cozy, and I am sure tere will be room for a couple of kids in this size house. I don't see the need for much mode than 20sqm per person and would never buy anything pre-1970 - I am even ok with the modern timber framed builds except they have oppressive gardens and little parking.

HOLA448

Second thoughts that lodge is rather expensive, you could have had the titanic's boss's estate for €360k

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/costello-lodge-costello-casla-galway/2441564

Costelloe%20Lodge_l.JPG

I went for a look around the public viewing, just for something to do. I thought it would cost a fortune to run that house but it may have been ok for a hotel if you had €500k to make it up to a 3* type of venue.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Three Eastern European whores in each room. A line of six-fingered locals queuing up every night.

Kerching$$$$$$$$$

Having grown up in this part of Devon, I can assure you there wouldn't be any trouble finding six-fingered locals.

(And a night out in Bideford often ended up with at least six, fingered locals. Badoom tish)

Edited by Reck B

HOLA4411