House Price Crash Forum

Sudden Holiday To Portugal (Or Not)

JoeDavola

HOLA441

I have a flight to Faro Portugal, which is due to leave this weekend and return home in 6 days.

I booked it on a whim and originally was gonna stay in a cheap airbnb in Faro. I booked it without doing any research, and then found out there was **** all in Faro really.

I cancelled the accommodation and due to feeling a bit depressed at the moment I'm planning on just not going now, as I don't know much about Portugal and don't know where to go, and not sure if I have it in me to spend a week on holiday alone.

Albufeira would appear to be nearest place to Faro but I get the impression it's a bit .... tacky?

Does anyone have any recommendations for anywhere reasonably near Faro? (i.e. somewhere that I can get to easily from Faro airport as I'll be landing at about 8pm)

I also see that Lisbon is only 3 hours away by train; I guess that could be another option depending on how easy it is to get from airport to train station.

Anyways, if anyone has any opinions on Portugal you can let me know.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I don't know anything about Portugal so I can't help with places to go.

I would echo the above comment however - time out/away is great for depression, especially if the alternative is to basically sit at home ruminating about the same issues that led to it.

You'll find yourself more resourceful and self-sufficient than perhaps you imagine.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Only time I have been there I could only handle one night in Faro, that is just tourist central. Took the bus to Lisbon (scary driving!) one night there in a hostel, and then took the train up to Porto for a few nights in the YHA type place there. I would recommend Porto, although I can`t comment on safety/ crime etc. since their financial worries kicked in, it had dodgy areas then (late 90`s) don`t know what it is like now. The journey up the coast is better than sitting around in Faro IMO, and you will meet plenty of single Brits/Americans/Europeans (unless Portugal has gone Mad Max?)

HOLA447

If you play golf, Vilamoura is great. The golf clubs tend to group odd numbers of people to make fours so you would meet people. I went with two mates, and we had an extra slotted in to our group every day, some of whom joined us for a few beers after. Close to Faro too.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Loved camping in Faro and Albufiera and that was when England fans were chucking chairs around!!

I can't recall what the camping resort we stayed at just outside of Albufiera was called but it had an excellent pool and restaurant which I imagine would be much calmer/nicer without hoardes of footy fans signing about German Bombers!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I visted Lisbon about a month ago. A great city, highly recommended, a lot of interesting history and some good nightlife.

If you used airbnb there is probably somewhere fairly cheap to stay.

Train journey takes 3 hours according to a quick google search.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I visted Lisbon about a month ago. A great city, highly recommended, a lot of interesting history and some good nightlife.

Really? It's a few years ago now but I found the Portugese a lot more quiet and reserved than their neighbours, bars in the centre were shutting at 10pm whereas in Spain they would just be opening!

If the OP can drive, why not hire a car and cross the border to visit Huelva/ Seville/ Cadiz / Cordoba - all are within easy reach.

Don't forget to report back on the HPC situation if you meet any expats! :)

HOLA4414

If you don't mind staying in a hostel you could stay here:

http://www.theindependente.pt/?lang=en

great location, and it was recommended to me by a Portugese guy (I didn't stay there).

GO. travel is almost never a negative. sitting at home *****ing and reading HPC is.

HOLA4415

Rented a minimoke and we just tooled around on whim , one of my fav holidays ever ...

Deffo go up into the mountains to the castle at Silves and then onto Monchique ,the coast is somewhat concrete med ish surrounding seemingly not very historical small villages ,very friendly people ...Go

HOLA4416

Really? It's a few years ago now but I found the Portugese a lot more quiet and reserved than their neighbours, bars in the centre were shutting at 10pm whereas in Spain they would just be opening!

If the OP can drive, why not hire a car and cross the border to visit Huelva/ Seville/ Cadiz / Cordoba - all are within easy reach.

Well I can only say in the Barrio Alto area of Lisbon it was completley pack at 1am on Friday and Saturday nights.

The first picture in the link gives you an idea how packed:

http://www.portugaldailyview.com/whats-new/bairro-alto-lisbons-melting-pot

cheap night, you could buy a beer a cheap bar and wonder around the streets, or even get a beer in an off license if funds are really short.

HOLA4417

The Spanish town of Ayamonte just over the river/border is quite pleasant and some nice beaches around that way too.

I would simply do a little mooching along the coast (either West into Portugal or East into Spain) and see what life brings your way. I would be perfectly happy to spend my time lounging on beaches, swimming in the sea, and spending the evenings in local tapas bars eating great food with a book and a cold beer to hand. If you happen to get chatting to any of the young locals (many of whom will know either a bit or a lot of English) then all the better.

HOLA4418

Oh, FFS the hard part is over. You have the tickets.

Seems fine for a few days. Just do as LC1 suggested.

http://*******.com/ml35wcj

or plan a bit and get on a bus and go somewhere more rural / isolated.

Probably too late to advertise in Private Eye, The Lady or the Telegraph for a traveling companion.

I've managed to enjoy myself in far worse places in England, London for example.

HOLA4419

Spent a while today looking at hotels in Albufeira - the affordable ones were getting bad reviews on tripadvisor.

Then I struck lucky, found an apartment complex overlooking the sea, has very good reviews, and had one studio apartment left. £350 for 6 days. Snapped it up.

Sod the depression, I'll push myself to go anyway. Depression won't get any better spending a week sat in my own bloody flat.

And of course I'll maybe end up with an interesting story to post on HPC.

HOLA4420

Spent a while today looking at hotels in Albufeira - the affordable ones were getting bad reviews on tripadvisor.

Then I struck lucky, found an apartment complex overlooking the sea, has very good reviews, and had one studio apartment left. £350 for 6 days. Snapped it up.

Sod the depression, I'll push myself to go anyway. Depression won't get any better spending a week sat in my own bloody flat.

And of course I'll maybe end up with an interesting story to post on HPC.

Sounds good

If you had planned it earlier you could have arranged an HPC meet up in Faro :)

HOLA4421

If you had planned it earlier you could have arranged an HPC meet up in Faro :)

Haha, maybe next year!

By the way Joe...heres some pictures of 'Tacky' Albufeira, taken 3 weeks ago. It was torture I tell ya ;)

Doesn't look too shabby at all!

Looking at how to get from Faro to Albufeira now - there seem to be a few companies that do shared minibuses/cars - I'm assuming these don't take you to your hotel though, right? They take you to a fixed place in Albufeira and then you'd have to get another Taxi sorted.

HOLA4422

Actually I see I can book a private driver to get me directly from Faro airport to my hotel and Albufeira and back for £50 - might actually go for that option as it's less hassle than having to take bus + taxi.

HOLA4423

Haha, maybe next year!

Doesn't look too shabby at all!

Looking at how to get from Faro to Albufeira now - there seem to be a few companies that do shared minibuses/cars - I'm assuming these don't take you to your hotel though, right? They take you to a fixed place in Albufeira and then you'd have to get another Taxi sorted.

Shared shuttle looks v cheap.

http://www.resorthoppa.com/airport-transfers/portugal/faro-airport-fao/albufeira-abf?refid=ppc&ddlAdults=1&_$ja=cgid:2581457294|tsid:45480|cid:67892294|lid:34157647023|nw:g|crid:39492091094|rnd:10725795379878907139|dvc:c|adp:1t1|bku:1&gclid=CIfM3p-ktr8CFfMgtAodnDwA4A

HOLA4424

GO. travel is almost never a negative. sitting at home *****ing and reading HPC is.

You might see interesting things! You could always take a 3G tablet for the "HPC fix", or go to an internet cafe! I'm sure they have them!

HOLA4425

Archived