House Price Crash Forum

The Men Who Made Us Spend

HOLA441

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/whats-on/tv/ou-on-the-bbc-the-men-who-made-us-spend

Actually quite fundamental to the Western economy these days....we used to manage on half the disposable income, but now we can't and have to work twice as hard. Consumption and GDP is everything. And woe betide those that don't bloody consume.....the infamous HPC skinteratti. Work til you drop to consume.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/whats-on/tv/ou-on-the-bbc-the-men-who-made-us-spend

Actually quite fundamental to the Western economy these days....we used to manage on half the disposable income, but now we can't and have to work twice as hard. Consumption and GDP is everything. And woe betide those that don't bloody consume.....the infamous HPC skinteratti. Work til you drop to consume.

The site was undergoing maintenance when I looked so don't know about its content.

But does it refer to Edward Bernays, Freud's nephew who put propaganda to work in peacetime and established public relations? Excellent BBC documentary which is on youtube called Century of the Self.

HOLA446

The site was undergoing maintenance when I looked so don't know about its content.

But does it refer to Edward Bernays, Freud's nephew who put propaganda to work in peacetime and established public relations? Excellent BBC documentary which is on youtube called Century of the Self.

Ah right.....winkie has a good link on iplayer.

HOLA447

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01zxmrv/the-men-who-made-us-spend-episode-1

it's a mad wasteful world....or is it just some? you kinda wonder if someone told them to put their head in the oven they would.....what went wrong? :unsure:

I wouldn't be seen dead in anything lower spec than this

http://www.johnlewis.com/wolf-icbdf484f-dual-fuel-range-cooker-stainless-steel/p231054820

HOLA448

When it comes to gadgets and equipment the bigger it gets the harder work and more time consuming imo. This is my lawnmower...it take me 10 minutes to mow a large garden.........but my neighbours say I am doing it the hard way. they take over an hour with petrol guzzling monsters that drone on for hours.....what the f**k are they doing. Mine looks like Wimbledon theirs looks like s**t.......

http://www.lawnmowersworld.co.uk/p/Bosch_AHM_Series_Push_5_Blade_Cylinder_Lawnmower.htm?affiliate=PLA&utm_source=GMC&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CjwKEAjwre6dBRC94d-Gma7g3wcSJACNatZeYE7G2AowdG3bzkee--cuVdzBibhL29szRSmI-VZ80xoCtqHw_wcB

HOLA449

The Lightbulb Conspiracy (2010), trailer...

Full version which, funnily enough, features an inkjet in the open scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbbF3oxf-E

HOLA4410

When it comes to gadgets and equipment the bigger it gets the harder work and more time consuming imo. This is my lawnmower...it take me 10 minutes to mow a large garden.........but my neighbours say I am doing it the hard way. they take over an hour with petrol guzzling monsters that drone on for hours.....what the f**k are they doing. Mine looks like Wimbledon theirs looks like s**t.......

I notice a similar effect with finicky, consumer-grade, petrol strimmers on my allotment.

The amount of time and money people are prepared to put into nursing those things is a wonder to behold

HOLA4411

:lol: ...Over £18k for an ugly cooker......think of all the à la carte resturant meals you could enjoy for that.......cooking at home is supposed to save you money not cost you money.

Edit to say, at least it is offering a two year guarantee....that must be worth something. ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Ah, you beat me to it with the clip. Still scope for at least one more though...

woman in sun dress vs machine...

HOLA4416

Ah, you beat me to it with the clip. Still scope for at least one more though...

woman in sun dress vs machine...

That's not a lawn though is it. It's a field. I'd like to see her trimming her edges with a f*cking scythe.

I bought this finicky consumer petrol strimmer for £100. It's the b0llocks. Scythes are for girls.

http://www.ryobi-direct.com/ryobi-rlt26cds-start-easy-line-trimmer-c2x13951084

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

There are certain garden tools that I don't find useful and I have to say a strimmer is one, a hoe is another....I use a three pronged claw for extra speed. I once cleared a two acre wood of brambles and a machete was like lightning......a strimmer doen't have the coverage of a giant swing.

I used to have a very large garden so I had to quickly learn the quickest and most practical methods of getting the job done. Now I have got a more managable sized garden I still use a production line approach....ten minutes mowing at a gallop with a push along, ten minutes at a brisk walk with the lawn edging shears and the occasional bit of weeding.....with weeding total extermination and plenty of ground cover will save hours in the long run.

I hate fiddling and messing with boys toys I just want to get the job done. I also like a perfect weed free manicured garden at the fastest speed possible.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

There are certain garden tools that I don't find useful and i have to say a strimmer is one, a hoe is another....I use a three pronged claw for extra speed. I once cleared a two acre wood of brambles and a machete was like lightning......a strimmer doen't have the coverage of a giant swing.

I've got nothing against strimmers per se and count a relatively puny, battery powered jobbie in an armoury which, yes, is more biased towards cold steel. In terms of serviceable life though many strimmers do seem to be up there with mayflies.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Would you spend on this one? ;)

Three guesses

My current weapon of choice in that department is an old screwdriver with 'V' notched into the tip of the blade. It doesn't pepper whatever you're weeding with all those fantastic holes but you can't have everything

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

While appreciating the sentiment of your argument, I can't help but notice that the contractors who make their living out of cutting my neighbours' lawns for £15 a pop, and who have a vested interest in carrying out the job as quickly and efficiently as possible, arrive with a full armoury of lawn mowers, strimmers and other garden machinery. However, I'd also note that most (non-professional) people buy the cheapest tat they can find and rarely have it serviced, which is probably why most of your neighbours take so long to get the job done.

HOLA4425

While appreciating the sentiment of your argument, I can't help but notice that the contractors who make their living out of cutting my neighbours' lawns for £15 a pop, and who have a vested interest in carrying out the job as quickly and efficiently as possible, arrive with a full armoury of lawn mowers, strimmers and other garden machinery. However, I'd also note that most (non-professional) people buy the cheapest tat they can find and rarely have it serviced, which is probably why most of your neighbours take so long to get the job done.

It's a tricky business sometimes deciding when buying something like, say, a strimmer whether it's worth your while buying proper kit or not. If you're only going to use a piece of machinery occasionally and it's going to spend most of the year sitting idle the temptation to skimp is there.

For better or worse, we live in a world where most people think it more convenient to own a cheaper, possibly mediocre item outright, rather than pool ownership of something more expensive amongst a group, or a family even.

Archived