House Price Crash Forum

M&s Blames New Website For Quarterly Sales Fall

HOLA441
M&S blames new website for quarterly sales fall

LONDON - British retailer Marks & Spencer reported its 12th straight quarterly fall in its clothing, footwear and homeware division on Tuesday, hurt by the transition to a new website.

A new excuse it's the website. At least we are moving on from its raining / snowing / too hot / too cold.....

HOLA442

Nothing wrong with their clothing although almost always more expensive than similar quality and style you can purchase elsewhere new or second-hand....thing is good clothing lasts many years and being /wearing so called 'fasionable' is no longer fashionable, people are individuals not clones. ;)

HOLA443

It is crap. The top menu bar appears randomly after a few seconds. But for a while you're looking wondering what to click next.

I used to buy their footgloves shoes cos they were comfy. Then they changed were they were made, they were crap and didn't last as long and they had the cheek to put the price up.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Their new web site is honestly the worst web site relaunch I have ever seen and I have seen a lot as I'm a web developer by trade so it comes as no surprise others have given up on trying to buy anything from it. Whoever allowed them to launch the site like that needs firing as well as anyone who signed off on the designs.

HOLA447

To be fair, ecommerce websites are very hard to get right (not that I've looked at the M&S one) in trying to get them to convert (hence why many retailers end up on Amazon and Ebay etc.).

Food still strong, especially in France weirdly, but think the customer has got wise to buying Chindian clothing crap at premium prices and would rather get its sweat shop tat at Primark etc..

HOLA448

To be fair, ecommerce websites are very hard to get right (not that I've looked at the M&S one) in trying to get them to convert (hence why many retailers end up on Amazon and Ebay etc.).

Honestly it's worth a look at the new site to see how non-standard and hard it is to use compared to any other major retailer e.g. John Lewis

HOLA449

Nothing wrong with their clothing although almost always more expensive than similar quality and style you can purchase elsewhere new or second-hand....thing is good clothing lasts many years and being /wearing so called 'fasionable' is no longer fashionable, people are individuals not clones. ;)

To me much of their their clothing is mostly boring, or else in horrible colours and fabrics, or cheap and nasty looking without actually being cheap. Or else something that would have been nice, if not for fussy, tacky looking bits added on.

For a long time I have thought they need to sack most of their buyers. Seems to me that they think 'Oh, this'll do for your average M&S shopper - I'd never wear it myself but it'll do for them.'

We have a huge M& S near here but I do really have to root about to find anything much. Having said that, their pure linen summer things are v good value - and unlike some other shops where much the same costs a lot more, least you can machine was the things without them shrinking - but nowadays I tend to find less and less to tempt me.

HOLA4410

I don't know another shop which sells a good range of bras in 36G (Primark don't seem to, despite the size of the female customers I generally see when I go in there?!), so they get my Christmas lingerie custom by default. I might pop in this year for a new Panama hat as my current one is getting a bit torn and sweat stained. But other than that I have no interest in shopping there.

A couple who are good friends of ours work there, and the younger fashionista of the two is very good at buying me clothes that suit me, so much so that through birthdays and Christmas I rarely bother buying clothes for myself any more. But I'm not sure that the last instalment she got me was even from M&S! Apparently they're a pretty good employer though.

HOLA4411

To me much of their their clothing is mostly boring, or else in horrible colours and fabrics, or cheap and nasty looking without actually being cheap. Or else something that would have been nice, if not for fussy, tacky looking bits added on.

For a long time I have thought they need to sack most of their buyers. Seems to me that they think 'Oh, this'll do for your average M&S shopper - I'd never wear it myself but it'll do for them.'

We have a huge M& S near here but I do really have to root about to find anything much. Having said that, their pure linen summer things are v good value - and unlike some other shops where much the same costs a lot more, least you can machine was the things without them shrinking - but nowadays I tend to find less and less to tempt me.

To be honest l used to pop in to the Cheshunt branch now and again and often went away with something....can't say l have entered a store more than once in the last three years, l feel their underwear has got really cheap and of poor quality, nothing like the quality, feel and durability it used to be.....since then have found a better place to buy it......not been to their web page, no reason to log into it.....not the place it used to be IMHO, sorry marks.

HOLA4412

Totally fine to launch a non-standard site - but only if usability and split/multi-variate testing tells you it's going to improve conversion etc. That's how innovation happens. Then you need to couple that with on-going analysis to make sure you're improving across the whole customer experience e.g. no good improving conversion on sales, if the customer you end up only goes for the discount unprofitable stuff.

It's telling how few changes/old fashioned Amazon looks - but that's probably because it works.

I do think M&S are misjudging this customers. A lot of their stock seems to be aimed at old people from a couple of decades back. Trouble is, there's a good chance that those olds have now died off. It's hard to imagine the current crop of boomers wearing the same stuff into retirement as their parents.

Mostly out of habit I still get underwear from there - but yes, it looks comparable in quality to the local Tesco (better fit than them though).

HOLA4413

It is crap. The top menu bar appears randomly after a few seconds. But for a while you're looking wondering what to click next.

I used to buy their footgloves shoes cos they were comfy. Then they changed were they were made, they were crap and didn't last as long and they had the cheek to put the price up.

I had an altercation a few years ago when some shoes fell apart (soles broke up) within a few weeks of ownership. Took them back, was accused of 'misusing' them and eventually, and grudgingly given a refund.

Given that, as an Englishman I hate complaining, this was traumatic. Never again..

HOLA4414

I just went on the website and yes it did this on my computer. I have seen worse though.

HOLA4415

Totally fine to launch a non-standard site - but only if usability and split/multi-variate testing tells you it's going to improve conversion etc. That's how innovation happens. Then you need to couple that with on-going analysis to make sure you're improving across the whole customer experience e.g. no good improving conversion on sales, if the customer you end up only goes for the discount unprofitable stuff.

It's telling how few changes/old fashioned Amazon looks - but that's probably because it works.

I do think M&S are misjudging this customers. A lot of their stock seems to be aimed at old people from a couple of decades back. Trouble is, there's a good chance that those olds have now died off. It's hard to imagine the current crop of boomers wearing the same stuff into retirement as their parents.

Mostly out of habit I still get underwear from there - but yes, it looks comparable in quality to the local Tesco (better fit than them though).

I think a lot depends on the location of the store. A friend from Devon has told me more than once that her local shop often has different things from here (SW London), more frumpy/old-dear-ish.

I honestly don't know what possesses their buyers sometimes. Last summer I bought a casual cardigan that is perfect with jeans - except that it had the most unbelievably nasty buttons, like those awful round leather old mens' cardi ones, only plastic. I went straight to John Lewis for some infinitely nicer ones, not at all expensive, and have worn it loads. But why on earth they used such horrible ones in the first place defeats me. And how many people can honestly be a*sed to go changing half a dozen buttons? I bet it cost them sales. My sister liked the new-button cardi and only a couple of weeks later I found one for her in the sale for £14 - down from about £35.

HOLA4416

This is what gets me. I could never understand why someone wouldn't say to the developers "I want a site like John Lewis's or Amazon' or any other site that obviously converts and works in your niche.

For example I once worked in the hosting industry and I can tell which web operators sites work and which ones struggle a bit (though the strugglers get bought out as that market is cut throat).

Instead they always seem to want to re-invent the wheel all the time.

HOLA4417

This is what gets me. I could never understand why someone wouldn't say to the developers "I want a site like John Lewis's or Amazon' or any other site that obviously converts and works in your niche.

For example I once worked in the hosting industry and I can tell which web operators sites work and which ones struggle a bit (though the strugglers get bought out as that market is cut throat).

Instead they always seem to want to re-invent the wheel all the time.

I think I read somewhere that you now have to register - you can't order otherwise. I am sure this must put people off, too - yet another bloody password to remember, if you don't use the same one all the time, as they constantly tell us not to. I hate having to register and sign in when I just want to buy something. Once had to do it when ordering just one sample tile FGS.

Now, if they set up a 'one click' thing like they have on amazon... That is lethal, temptation wise, she said with feeling.

HOLA4418

I don't know another shop which sells a good range of bras in 36G (Primark don't seem to, despite the size of the female customers I generally see when I go in there?!), so they get my Christmas lingerie custom by default. I might pop in this year for a new Panama hat as my current one is getting a bit torn and sweat stained. But other than that I have no interest in shopping there.

A couple who are good friends of ours work there, and the younger fashionista of the two is very good at buying me clothes that suit me, so much so that through birthdays and Christmas I rarely bother buying clothes for myself any more. But I'm not sure that the last instalment she got me was even from M&S! Apparently they're a pretty good employer though.

Tease!

I find M+S cloth range confusing.

I've stopped buying my T shirts and sweatshirts from MS+ 10++ years ago - I get Fruit of the Loom and Haines stuff of the internet now. I hate patterns and prints; plain colours always for me.

I've come close to ditching M+S for boxers and socks, I've alwys bought the closets to 100% cotton - I think merino wool socks or silk boxers are a daft idea. Sometime the finish on the garment has been total sh1t - misstiches, poor cutting.

HOLA4419

I never shop at M&S, I only go there to buy sandwiches for lunch when theres no other shops near by and desperately looking for

lunch at work (long days!) - even then, crap range of food and poor quality sandwiches at a high price.

Not only that its full of decrepit old people, I have a mind set for these stores - It's a shop for old grannies.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think I read somewhere that you now have to register - you can't order otherwise. I am sure this must put people off, too - yet another bloody password to remember, if you don't use the same one all the time, as they constantly tell us not to. I hate having to register and sign in when I just want to buy something. Once had to do it when ordering just one sample tile FGS.

Now, if they set up a 'one click' thing like they have on amazon... That is lethal, temptation wise, she said with feeling.

Forcing customers to set up an account if they want to buy something is idiotic and just makes people quit the site:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/228169

Do we really need another username and password to remember? I doubt it. And why would anyone want to put up a wall like that preventing people from paying.

Forcing people to sign up for an account is just too intrusive for first-time customers, and it's a major conversion killer.

A usability study by Smashing Magazine found that the main reason users hate setting up an account is they expect to be flooded with promotional emails.

It also pointed out that many customers don't understand why they need to sign up to buy a product when brick and mortar stores don't require an account to buy from them.

I've done this myself in the past: gone through a website, filled my basket, proceeded to checkout and.... "Please register an account with us!" Me: "Naah, f*** you!" (Goes and does something else instead).