HOLA441
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Let's hope Fergus has more luck selling up than saddling up....

Fergus Wilson, horseracing's very own village idiot, is planning to run yet another million-to-one betting no-hoper in the Epsom Derby on June 7, 2008.

http://www.epsomderbybetting.net/EpsomDerbyBettingNews/EpsomDerbyBetting_FergusWilson.htm

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: You can just see his pompous face when he read that

HOLA445

Get stuck in there investors.

Fergus reckons rents for a three-bedder in Ashford are up 40% in just 15 months as the boom ripples out from London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/10953082/Britains-200m-buy-to-let-king-Time-to-sell.html

Yes, on Rightmove none of the twenty-three 3 bed semis in Ashford currently listed as for rent or 'let agreed' are asking for anything over £950/month.

Detached houses- 15 listed, 6 at £1,000 or more, with a max of £1,200/month.

Terraced houses - 26 listed, highest asking of £925/month.

It would appear that the rent quoted is pretty much not a reasonable expectation for the entire portfolio, which I think has 2 bedders as well iirc, which in general are limited to £800/month asking.

HOLA446

Yes, on Rightmove none of the twenty-three 3 bed semis in Ashford currently listed as for rent or 'let agreed' are asking for anything over £950/month.

Detached houses- 15 listed, 6 at £1,000 or more, with a max of £1,200/month.

Terraced houses - 26 listed, highest asking of £925/month.

It would appear that the rent quoted is pretty much not a reasonable expectation for the entire portfolio, which I think has 2 bedders as well iirc, which in general are limited to £800/month asking.

Latest VOA rental stats (year to 31st March 2014) has Ashford at £832 average for 3-bed (297 properties) and £674 for 2-bed (434 properties).

The previous release (year to 30th Sept 2013) has the averages as £808 and £657 respectively.

http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/statisticalReleases/PrivateRentalMarketStatistics.html

HOLA447

Latest VOA rental stats (year to 31st March 2014) has Ashford at £832 average for 3-bed (297 properties) and £674 for 2-bed (434 properties).

The previous release (year to 30th Sept 2013) has the averages as £808 and £657 respectively.

http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/statisticalReleases/PrivateRentalMarketStatistics.html

Seems in agreement with current stocks, thanks for link. Fergus implying achievable rents are 20% higher than the reality of around 5% gross yield.

No institutional investor or business would surely touch a distressed asset sale at these values? What might a typical gross yield for such a sale be? 15%? Higher?

The Wilsons are finished.

HOLA448

Did someone on here post this comment in the Guardian thread?;

:)

Phil Martin (if that really is him & I suspect it is) used to be one of the property tribe boys. He has had several BTL based schemes, at least one of which went spectacularly bust a couple of years ago. I take it he is speaking from experience with UKAR and is correct in his assessment of the Wilson's situation.

http://www.propertytribes.com/phil-martin-returns-to-property-t-10001.html

http://www.philmartin.co.uk/

HOLA449

:)

Phil Martin (if that really is him & I suspect it is) used to be one of the property tribe boys. He has had several BTL based schemes, at least one of which went spectacularly bust a couple of years ago. I take it he is speaking from experience with UKAR and is correct in his assessment of the Wilson's situation.

http://www.propertytribes.com/phil-martin-returns-to-property-t-10001.html

http://www.philmartin.co.uk/

Can you link to Mr.Rapid's main post about UKAR. The thread is 18 pages long.

22 May 2014
Ukar says that it can help customers in this situation review their monthly incomings and outgoings and may put borrowers in touch with independent mortgages brokers who could help find a new fixed-rate deal with another lender.
Yet, chief executive Mr Banks points out: "It is not our job to be a social service."
All borrowers seem to be free to move to other lenders. I hope UKAR is applying appropriate SVRs where it can, and ensures it applies charges and penalties on to the accounts from landlords, where it has to take over management of a house - that equity is to be fed on.
UKAR
Gouge away
You can gouge away

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Can you link to Mr.Rapid's main post about UKAR. The thread is 18 pages long.

All borrowers seem to be free to move to other lenders. I hope UKAR is applying appropriate SVRs where it can, and ensures it applies charges and penalties on to the accounts from landlords, where it has to take over management of a house - that equity is to be fed on.

UKAR

Gouge away

You can gouge away

Stay all day

If you want to

(maybe see you Thurs then)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Bottom line.

Companies are generally shit at running things, banks even worse - can you image the cost of running some of these portfolios if they were done so legitimitately with all the associated isnurances, H&S checks etc etc tht should be in place.

This is kite flying a sale of the portfolio, in a breathless sky.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Showing your age there!

"Infamous" surely?

Badly remembered lyrics from 20-odd years ago. :unsure: A great south London band. Wanted to go to their farewell gig at Brixton in November just to hear that song. Could've been written about the Laird of Maidstone! Tickets sold out in minutes. :angry:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

This news shows how poor financial journalism is - if it was ever that good.

Only the FT has pointed out their main lended was that shining beacon of solvency, B+B.

Nobody has pointed out that the sale is probably being forced by UKAR.

Nobody has tried to to take is bs figures and work out the profit.

How big is Ashford, or the area in Ashford where he's by buying.

If its like the area I've been following, then there have been sod all sales in the last 10 years, so the munter pair will have been THE market.

Couple that with a very thin layer of equity - he was claiming 10% down at one point, with leverage from previous purchaes FFS! - a lot of voids - Ashford is not London; its bot even nice.

HOLA4421

Also covered in today's Daily Mail. Great comment...

"I don't know the man and try not to judge people I don't know personally but there is something about him that really disturbs me. I don't know if its superior attitude his over inflated ego or what but I find him a very obnoxious person. Any way I hope that he and his wife enjoy their money however they came by it but at 22 stone I fear he may not get to enjoy it for long"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2685314/We-selling-ll-make-250m-Buy-let-property-moguls-entire-1-000-home-portfolio-market.html

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

More bolleaux from the Wail, Park Farm in Ashford 2 beds start from £800/month asking rents, not the £1,000/month achieved they state.

£12m annual rental income is also based on 1,000 *£1,000/month, doubt that is the case.

Fergus has previously stated he buys only 2 or 3 bed houses and avoids 1 or 4+ bedrooms. Using FreeTrader's VOA averages from page 4 of the thread : £674 average on 2 beds and £832 on 3 beds currently suggests rental income of £8-£10 million maximum, depending on the mix.

Even taking the Wails 60% leverage stat at face value suggests about £100m total debt to service which could easily account for £4m/year on an interest only basis.

Start knocking voids, repairs etc from the maximum gross income and it doesn't take much to realize that their financial position is probably vastly overstated, quelle surprise.

From Nov 2009:

2 Buy two or three-bedroom houses – and never flats

Except if you're in London, where flats will be in greater demand than in suburban areas. "One-bedroom starter homes are no good as people want to move on within six months," Fergus says. There is also limited demand for four-bedroom houses. "Why would anyone pay £1,300 a month in rent when they could get a mortgage for less?" he asks. "Rock-bottom rates have shifted the balance, but generally it should be cheaper to rent than buy."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/investmentinproperty/6672288/10-tips-for-buy-to-let-success.html

HOLA4425

Bottom line.

Companies are generally shit at running things, banks even worse - can you image the cost of running some of these portfolios if they were done so legitimitately with all the associated isnurances, H&S checks etc etc tht should be in place.

This is kite flying a sale of the portfolio, in a breathless sky.

This is probably the most shocking thing.. If I had a 'portfolio' of 1000 houses, you'd want to manage it as a business - you'd have full-time people for repairs, maintenance and cleaning, compliance, answering the phone.. Put the debt on a commercial footing and make it a limited company so that you are not on the hook for millions if it all goes FUBAR.

But I suppose they know better.