House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

Le Tour

So, 2.5 million people turned out to watch in Yorkshire over the weekend! Incredible! I've been hooked on it since watching Indurain win it on Eurosport years ago. Not sure why it's so riveting though?!

Think its probably just the atmosphere - you aren't exactly going to see much !!

Think its probably just the atmosphere - you aren't exactly going to see much !!

Yep, you see them for a few seconds.

It's a bizarre process in front of it with random vehicles coming past and it's strange to see so many French police over here.

Saw it leaving Leeds. The cavalcade of promotional floats ahead of the riders is mental.

The atmosphere in the crowd as the peleton passed was fantastic. For what the riders endure and the importance of the race in sporting terms you have to applaud. Wonderful stuff.

Last year, we had it in the French town where we spend the summer. The finish line for the stage was a couple of hundred yards from us.

Absolute mayhem, I didn't dare use the car for three days lest we lose our parking space. The whole area was full of TV crews and vans and people dressed in Lycra.

Some people at work went up, sounds like they got more than just a few seconds' view (although that was probably trying to find a spot with a good distant view). Sounds like they enjoyed it anyway.

Amazed Nibali was able to get away.

They were all too busy watching what Peter Sagan was doing and not wanting to help him, if he had got up to Nibali he would have won.

I was amazed that with the tight winding roads there were no big crashes. A few near misses, with tw*ts stood in the middle of the road taking photos with their phones as 200 riders approach at 35 mph! What is it with these people? There are thousands of Tour pictures on the internet, cycling magazines galore etc. - taken by professional photographers. The 5 hour stage was transmitted in it's entirety by several channels and available for download.

Yet they want to risk bringing the race to a halt and injuring themselves and the riders, just for a blurred out of focus snap?

They were all too busy watching what Peter Sagan was doing and not wanting to help him, if he had got up to Nibali he would have won.

I was amazed that with the tight winding roads there were no big crashes. A few near misses

Saw a clip last night where a sprinter literally knocked a spectator over this weekend - guy was stood too far out and got knocked flat on his back (and somehow the sprinter stayed on the bike - good bike handling skills I guess!)

I think the advent of HDTV and the wide and various chopper shots have made it more interesting for everyone.

I certainly wouldn't watch it without this footage. I get a bit of a thrill following the race on the map of the day on google firing up the Sat view and seeing what is ahead for the riders.

Same. Watching it since about 1994. Takes a while to "get it" but it is really good. And now with the British interest it's just all even more amazing. When Bradley Wiggins won it all the British journalists simply could not believe it - it really was something that was not foreseen. They got very emotional. And to think it effectively came from track cycling.

- taken by professional photographers.

It's the same as professional firework displays, more spectacular but far less interesting than the ones you light yourself.

We go to the Monaco GP each year and take loads of photos, those are our personal memories, like the polite but exasperated expression on the celebrities' faces as the wife fumbles with her camera, priceless :lol:. We watch the race itself on TV though.

Its all the tactics I love. Used to find it boring until someone pointed this out to me. Now find it pretty fascinating.

We go to the Monaco GP each year and take loads of photos, those are our personal memories

Ok, but there is no way anyone can get too near the track at F1, that goes without saying.

But you can't put barriers up everywhere on a 200km cycle race, besides people climb over them.

Latest news on the spectator front is man down in London whilst taking a photo. Hope he's OK , I think he is.

See link - latest craze is spectators taking selfies!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10951714/Tour-de-France-spectator-hit-by-Team-Skys-Diego-Lopez-Garcia.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10952686/Tour-de-France-will-return-to-Britain-says-race-director.html

Six million spectators the largest in the tours 111 year history for the first three days. Why we should get major sporting events because we are more enthusiastic and better at it the anybody else. But we always have to put up with the British prejudice (FIFA for example) so we wont very often.

Maybe we can boost our existing 'Tour of Britain' profile on the back of the clear enthusiasm for bike racing. Could the UK host an annual grand tour event of its own? I'm not sure we have the mountains for it tbh, but would be good to think we could have a decent standard stage race on the telly.

T' Tour was great, lad.

Hope it comes to the UK again soon, how about the Lake District for a stage? or some more of the Peak district for surprise climbs, wandering over into Cheshire for a Time Trial or flat stage for the sprinters.

I think it partially shone a light on how dodgy and meagre many of our roads are and how crowded this island is.

The street furniture and metal signs littering the few windy narrow roads we have is positively dangerous and an assault on the eye.

Crowded yes, but I wouldn't say the roads of dodgy and meagre if they're usually adequate for the traffic they normally handle. Swaledale for example is usually pretty quiet despite being in the Dales national park. We're not talking about main roads (with one or two exceptions like Woodhead, which are very small for the traffic), I'm guessing that quite a lot of the Alps roads are main roads. Most of our hilly areas are small enough to not need big roads through them when they can go past them (again with the odd exception like the M62).

"Upgrading" them would be an assault on the eye. Could do with cutting back on signs though.

I think it partially shone a light on how dodgy and meagre many of our roads are and how crowded this island is.

The street furniture and metal signs littering the few windy narrow roads we have is positively dangerous and an assault on the eye.

I thought it showed how uncrowded this island is.

Mile after mile of green space, a few sheep and wonderful scenery.

The polar opposite of the 'every inch is concreted over' nimby nonsense.

I thought it showed how uncrowded this island is.

Mile after mile of green space, a few sheep and wonderful scenery.

The polar opposite of the 'every inch is concreted over' nimby nonsense.

And if it was endless mile upon mile of that instead of it all being fairly close to large cities then you'd be right. That sort of scene should be typical of 95% of the country (well, ignoring the facts of geography that it isn't all hilly) instead of just National Parks.

The "nimby nonsense" as you so crudely put it is "Don't see this wonderful landscape and build shit all over it please."

I think everything about post war urban planning and street architecture is depressing in the UK. It's one of the major reasons most of Europe, even the poor bits, just seems to look so much more pleasant. The London sprawl was particularly miserable. A lot of up north looked fabulous though.