House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kjw

The Future Is Local – If Labour Is Elected

he past few years have been desperately difficult for all those who rely on and provide public services in our communities. Whether it is help for young children in a Sure Start centre, or care for the elderly in their homes, our services have faced both unprecedented cuts and ever growing demand.

It is the people at the frontline who know better than anyone back in Whitehall how, through local reform and innovation, they could deliver better services.

Today I am launching a report by Labour's local government innovation taskforce, which charts a new course away from the old top-down command model and towards an era of people-powered public services. This will mean better accountability to the communities they serve, encouragement to cooperate and integrate with others, and a new emphasis on saving money by preventing problems rather than reacting to them. [More at link]

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/06/future-is-local-labour-reverse-centralisation-ed-miliband

he past few years have been desperately difficult for all those who rely on and provide public services in our communities. Whether it is help for young children in a Sure Start centre, or care for the elderly in their homes, our services have faced both unprecedented cuts and ever growing demand.

It is the people at the frontline who know better than anyone back in Whitehall how, through local reform and innovation, they could deliver better services.

Today I am launching a report by Labour's local government innovation taskforce, which charts a new course away from the old top-down command model and towards an era of people-powered public services. This will mean better accountability to the communities they serve, encouragement to cooperate and integrate with others, and a new emphasis on saving money by preventing problems rather than reacting to them. [More at link]

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/06/future-is-local-labour-reverse-centralisation-ed-miliband

what utter b0ll0cks

labour is command and control centralisation and micromanagement....it doesn't work...end of.

what utter b0ll0cks

labour is command and control centralisation and micromanagement....it doesn't work...end of.

But they did give us devolution for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

For sure there would be plenty of examples during NuLabour's time (and before) when they claimed to be doing all that stuff while the reality was that they were going crazy with centralisation.

This will mean better accountability to the communities they serve - UKIP's direct democracy sounds better.

Encouragement to cooperate and integrate with others - more eu and mass immigration and no choice in the matter.

A new emphasis on saving money by preventing problems rather than reacting to them - more CCTV cameras and roadside radar traps.

Just to start with.

Edited by billybong

This will mean better accountability to the communities they serve - UKIP's direct democracy sounds better.

Encouragement to cooperate and integrate with others - more eu and mass immigration and no choice in the matter.

A new emphasis on saving money by preventing problems rather than reacting to them - more CCTV cameras and roadside radar traps.

Just to start with.

An excellent translation from the original Gobbledeygook.

This sounds like someone trying to be elected ;)

Yes, exactly. Labour giving local power to local people... that's a good one.

Though, I guess if it allows them to offload the cost of those local services to local taxpayers and frees up more tax money for them to trough, it might make some sense.

certainly does when a rifle and 50 rounds of ammo in every house are mandatory.

I like a lot of people only see the local council as the people you pay to empty your bin. I am sure someone will come along in a minute and give me a long list.

I like a lot of people only see the local council as the people you pay to empty your bin. I am sure someone will come along in a minute and give me a long list.

They don't just empty the bins, they do a lot of administration as well. Those fat pensions need a lot of looking after and of course they need to make sure everyone pays their council tax on time.

....Today I am launching a report by Labour's local government innovation taskforce, which charts a new course away from the old top-down command model and towards an era of people-powered public services. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/06/future-is-local-labour-reverse-centralisation-ed-miliband

Another committee and report. I am taken a back as I presumably they will toss the report in the bin and do the opposite.

Edited by Ash4781

I like a lot of people only see the local council as the people you pay to empty your bin.

I thought they stopped emptying the bins because they couldn't afford to after they'd paid for those fat pensions?

Actually this is a pretty frightening prospect. Wave goodbye to anything that could possibly lead to economic growth in the regions. Oh wait a minute, buy shares in traffic lights, speed bumps and street signs.