House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel Of Highbridge

The Recovery And Green Shoots Goes From Strength To Strength

http://www.burnhamandhighbridgeweeklynews.co.uk/news/11319350.Job_losses_in_Highbridge_as_furniture_firm_goes_into_administration/?ref=var_0

Job losses in Highbridge as furniture firm goes into administration

5:16pm Thursday 3rd July 2014 in News By Sam Jones

A FURNITURE firm in Highbridge has caused hundreds of job losses after going into administration.

Woodberry Bros and Haines Furniture Group, based on Walrow Industrial Estate, Highbridge, recently announced that they had entered administration following financial difficulties and no potential new buyer or investors has been found.

Around 175 people are believed to have lost their jobs after the company and administrators PricewaterhouseCoopers confirmed the news yesterday (July 2).

The company had been a leading furniture manufacturer for retailers in the UK since 1949, with a turnover of £10million.

Looks like there could be a few cheap houses up for grabs :)

Capitalism, init.

I am sure the bankers will be around to buy up their homes (via BTL mortgages) with freshly printed money then rent it back to them via the benefits system - Capitalism?

Yes, the furniture firm caused all the losses. Not untenable market forces, such as house prices meaning ppl can't spend money on anything other than mortgages and essentials? Bless them.

Capitalism, init.

I am sure the bankers will be around to buy up their homes (via BTL mortgages) with freshly printed money then rent it back to them via the benefits system - Capitalism?

No. It's - Crapitalism.

Lets hope its a swing seat..or at least UKIP can stop toryscum getting it.

Wafer thin LD seat (Wells), perhaps a chance of an increased majority next time?

Liberal Democrat Tessa Jane Munt 24,560

Conservative David Philip Heathcoat-Amory 23,760

Labour Andy Merryfield 4,198

UKIP Jake Baynes 1,711

BNP Richard Boyce 1,004

Green Chris Briton 631

Majority 800

Wafer thin LD seat (Wells), perhaps a chance of an increased majority next time?

Liberal Democrat Tessa Jane Munt 24,560

Conservative David Philip Heathcoat-Amory 23,760

Labour Andy Merryfield 4,198

UKIP Jake Baynes 1,711

BNP Richard Boyce 1,004

Green Chris Briton 631

Majority 800

Seems pretty clear Wells is going back to the Tories in 2015 seeing as the Lib Dem share of the national vote could easily fall from 23% in 2010 to something in the range of 10-15%. No way the Lib Dems can hold 3 figure majorities against that kind of swing.

Seems pretty clear Wells is going back to the Tories in 2015 seeing as the Lib Dem share of the national vote could easily fall from 23% in 2010 to something in the range of 10-15%. No way the Lib Dems can hold 3 figure majorities against that kind of swing.

Fair dos, I ought to add that I know almost nothing of the sitting MP's local reputation etc. The byelection in Eastleigh showed that even blatant criminality isn't always sufficient to get sheeple to tick a different box. Could see a scenario where UKIP effectively end the Tory challenge in this seat, and even if LD votes drop their majority increases as Tories get cut down at the knees by UKIP. Your outlook nationally is something I am in agreement with (maybe under 10% for the LDs though).

Notice how although the steel company refers to high business rates and energy costs, the politicians talk about tough "market conditions". It is tough "government conditions" (taxation) that has driven this company to the wall. All those public sector 100K a year pensions need funding somehow I guess.

Fair dos, I ought to add that I know almost nothing of the sitting MP's local reputation etc. The byelection in Eastleigh showed that even blatant criminality isn't always sufficient to get sheeple to tick a different box. Could see a scenario where UKIP effectively end the Tory challenge in this seat, and even if LD votes drop their majority increases as Tories get cut down at the knees by UKIP. Your outlook nationally is something I am in agreement with (maybe under 10% for the LDs though).

The infamous poll by Lord Oakeshott showed this seat going blue, as indeed did one by Lord Ashcroft.

altough this may be more about lobbying for cheaper energy, but if the reasons are as stated we have masive problemes in this country as the plant in question is produceing more steel per week than it has ever done

Presumably the record output means they get even more 'carbon credits' for shutting it down?

Yes, the furniture firm caused all the losses. Not untenable market forces, such as house prices meaning ppl can't spend money on anything other than mortgages and essentials? Bless them.

Thankfully most new home aren't big enough to put furniture in.

welkhome7.jpg