House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FedupTeddiBear

Bbc London News - Paramedics Leaving In Droves

Paramedics are leaving London because of the "high cost of living" and it is becoming difficult to recruit new workers.

The BBC correspondent kept using the term "high cost of living" but when interviewed the two paramedics quite strongly referred to the unaffordable cost of housing.

The idea of wage rises was (edited - grammar) discussed to deal with this "high cost of living" - BBC news reporters seem to avoid the "H" word at all costs in this sort of context.

So - are public sector employees going to see their salaries quadrupled so that they can afford to live there?? :lol:

No mention anywhere of perhaps making housing more affordable.

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

The scandal being that nothing need be done to make housing 'affordable', save cutting back the measures to make it increasingly less so.

If anything, critical minutes on ambulance response times in Greater London are something which may help make some people smell the coffee.

But I don't doubt some would rather die than give up HPI, literally. Good for the economy, dontcha know.

It annoys me this guff about paying 'the living wage'.

This means paying everyone in London more for doing the same job as anyone else elsewhere.

1. Why doesn't the heart of capitalism believe in the market?

2. As others have said, it is not the wages that is the problem - it is the COSTS of living that only rise whenever they put London wages up.

It annoys me this guff about paying 'the living wage'.

This means paying everyone in London more for doing the same job as anyone else elsewhere.

1. Why doesn't the heart of capitalism believe in the market?

2. As others have said, it is not the wages that is the problem - it is the COSTS of living that only rise whenever they put London wages up.

I always thought that all it does is put the cost of living up.

Is there any other govt. on earth that pays people more purely on the basis they choose to live somewhere.

Funny that, I thought that all we needed was to build more houses.

Shame the builders won't build till the market recovers, or rather they can make a tidy profit from their land banks.

Some of the solutions put forward, tied accommodation and recruiting from abroad.

Things are drawing into the end game for generation HPI, they'll literally be dying for it.

Here's the online version...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28158180

Housing costs were actually mentioned!!!!??? :o

Here's the VT, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28168867

And here's the report, http://www.londonhealthboard.org.uk/London%20Councils/LHB20135Makingthecasecoverpaper.pdf

The quoted report highlights that many new employees can't justify the LAS demand for graduates.

"There is evidence that people don’t want to or can’t afford to go to university to get qualified as a paramedic to even start a career. This means finding ways of having them work for us whilst they qualify and finding ways of funding their education or at least supporting it. We also have a real barrier to recruitment in terms of the having to have a C1 category licence and gaining this licence costs up to £1000."

Right at the end an un-named public sector talking head is interviewed. Its obvious that he and his colleagues are all OO as he demands higher London weighting for all public sector workers and totally over looks their work forces complaints. Unaffordable housing and education.

Edited by Blod

They will be suggesting sticking old prison ships on the Thames next for 'key' workers or using it as an excuse to let in another million migrants.

A separate story from a side panel on the original article, London Ambulance Service to recruit from overseas, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26080102

I suppose that these new recruits will be commuting in.

They will be suggesting sticking old prison ships on the Thames next for 'key' workers or using it as an excuse to let in another million migrants.

Please delete this post in case it is noticed by a policymaker.

From what I can make out many of the public sector decision maker jobs in London are held by immigrants and have been for a decade or more.

Little chance of it really. The 'solution' will of course rely on sustaining/increasing rents and house prices at all costs.

Was watching that Bailiffs thing on C5 last night and High Court bailiffs broke into a corner shop, which had been halved in size the back part converted into makeshift living accommodation.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I just responded to another job offer in London - serious wonga - saying that the role interested me but the costs of living, mainly housing, meant London was completely out of the question for me. I used the terms 'housing bubble' and 'government intervention preventing housing costs from correcting', and asked the recruiter to explain that to her colleagues within the firm as the only reason I wasn't interested.

Every little bit to help shift the debate will help, I hope.

I just responded to another job offer in London - serious wonga - saying that the role interested me but the costs of living, mainly housing, meant London was completely out of the question for me. I used the terms 'housing bubble' and 'government intervention preventing housing costs from correcting', and asked the recruiter to explain that to her colleagues within the firm as the only reason I wasn't interested.

I would not have gone on about house prices, bubbles and the government. It makes you sound like a whingy, paranoid wuss.

Just stick to the facts: I'm happy with the job but London living costs are too high. Either increase the money or move the job.

I used to look at jobs in London paying about £50/55k vs around £35k in Dover. When you look at the price of houses (aka the cost of living) in Dover, you will see that it's a no-brainer. That's unless you want to live with the 'fancy' people in the 'fancy' areas piling up the CC debt.

As with my new job I start on Monday, it's better to be highly paid in a poor area, than medium/low pay in a rich area.

I'd have thought paramedics would have been first in line for social housing in London. I know of a few other key workers who got social housing very quickly there. Nice places too.

I'm not sure I could be tempted back to London regardless of the salary. How much would have you have to pay to get a 3 bed house with a forest view, no traffic noise, 40 ft garden, no housing overlooking you, less 5 mins from half a dozen country walks? Dunno, but I suspect it runs into millions in London. Here is it under £100K.

I quite like London, but the quality of life is utterly awful for 95% of the population.

They would have to link London weighting to London's HPI if an employer is serious about maintaining a presence in the capital.

I can't see any company upping this element of pay by 25% this year and the by 20% over the next three years.

Now I'm not advocating social cleansing, but they seriously need to start looking at their current social housing allocations and relocating the long term (5+ years) unemployed outside of London, not solely for the benefit of ambulance staff, but for all workers in London.

One answer that is not new is to supply the accommodation to go along with the job. Like they always used do and still sometimes do eg, nurses, armed forces and yes bankers.......old style council housing was there once to provide homes for lower paid local key workers.

Now I'm not advocating social cleansing, but they seriously need to start looking at their current social housing allocations and relocating the long term (5+ years) unemployed outside of London, not solely for the benefit of ambulance staff, but for all workers in London.

Christ, who'd have London's long term unemployed?

I have some sympathy with someone unemployed in middlesbrough, where there are sod all jobs but it really must take an extra level of idle scum to be long term unemployed in London.