House Price Crash Forum

"with Home Ownership An Impossible Dream, Saving Money When You're In Your Twenties Seems Pointless"

HOLA441
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

When I was that age I spent it all on a "smashing motorbike!!

I blew my money on travel and sports cars, and lived in shared, detached houses in the country. Of course, if I'd spent it on an ex-council shed in London instead, I could now have sold it and bought half of Monaco. What a dumb-ass.

As for the Tories, why should Camoron care what happens to them after the next election? When he loses, he'll get a fat crony job in the EU as payback for avoiding a referendum, probably working just across the hall from Neil Kinnock.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

We paid £145k for a 2 bed flat, in what I knew was a bubble (2004). Our salary was high enough to nail it fast thank goodness. Place now valued around £195-210k, as a repayment mortgage it would be impossible to maintain on one salary if something untoward happened. I doubt we will move, I like living here, and I have no need to keep up with others!

Looking at the job market now days, I doubt I would have bought at £145k. In my mind were in a mega bubble with a very unstable job market. The young are wise to occupy their minds on other pursuits.

HOLA448

I doubt there will be much productive work for pensioners to do... but I think they will make being dependent on the state as demeaning as possible. Especially with future generations of public servants and taxpayers will likely be very different from those of today.

In a few decades the nostalgia aspect of stamps won't be there. I would stick with the PMs.

Interesting. FWIW I agree tho I'm expert. On the subject of overvalued "classics" even http://www.qualitydiecasttoys.com/ suggests postwar Dinky models are losing value 'cos those who were kids in the 40s/50s are dying out. (and qdt is THE place for absurdly expensive toy cars...

HOLA449

We paid £145k for a 2 bed flat, in what I knew was a bubble (2004). Our salary was high enough to nail it fast thank goodness. Place now valued around £195-210k, as a repayment mortgage it would be impossible to maintain on one salary if something untoward happened. I doubt we will move, I like living here, and I have no need to keep up with others!

Looking at the job market now days, I doubt I would have bought at £145k. In my mind were in a mega bubble with a very unstable job market. The young are wise to occupy their minds on other pursuits.

I think that's an important thing many borrowers don't understand - with the loss of long term stable employment, if you don't earn enough to clear the mortgage within 4-5 years, you are fecked in all probability as the chance of keeping your earning power for 25-30 years is minimal. I'm earning good money right now, but always plan financially as if it is going to stop within 5 years. Took the loss of a job to teach me that hard lesson.

HOLA4410