House Price Crash Forum

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46940573.html

This house was once a council house and at some stage a tenant exercised his or her RTB and in turn modernised it. Fair enough.

However, at what stage did this home become a 'shared ownership' house? And only purchase 25% of it at that (£34,625). No mention of what the rent is on the other 75%, so little bit 'smoke and mirrors'. :rolleyes:

The £35k share for this seems rather steep. In 1996 my sister bought the freehold of a similar sized ex council house for £39k!

So it may be that it was built as part of a shared ownership housing scheme.

It was a council house when it was built prior to the 1950s (by the look of it). Shared Ownership has only been around since the 1980s.

I vaguely remember one of the governments crazy bail out schemes a few years ago was enabling HA's to buy people's houses who were in mortgage arrears and let them stay in their house under a new HA shared ownership arrangements. Could this be one of them?

Edit. Found it. Google Mortgage Rescue Scheme.

Edited by bomberbrown

I vaguely remember one of the governments crazy bail out schemes a few years ago was enabling HA's to buy people's houses who were in mortgage arrears and let them stay in their house under a new HA shared ownership arrangements. Could this be one of them?

Thanks bomberbrown, sounds about right to me. Probably what's happened with this house.

In the 90's some HA's would allow do a shared equity scheme on any home, not just purpose built, especially if was living in a council house. So you could rock up to an EA, pick your house and the HA would go halves with you.....a member of my family did just this