House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustYield

New Phone Recommendations 2014 Edition

This is my current phone:

390416_0_original.jpg

It's 4 years old and on its last legs and was first "laughed at" about 3 years ago. I like its small size, 2-5 day battery life and real keys (I don't want a screen based keypad to potentially fail on me at the wrong time). I think it has the perfect form factor.

So what's out there that fits the bill? I don't do FB or Whatsapp, but sometimes use the messenger feature on my iPod Touch. I like to take photos and short videos and voice memos.

I'm sure you've got some good suggestions between you all. Thanks!

MotoG has to be the best value phone on the market.

Indeed. I used to have the op phone. In fact I had two of them - solid as - even put on a road and watched a bus run over it and still could receive calls !! (Booze was involved yes)

I now have a motion g. Was the same as you - liked the proper keys and the way it felt solid. Didn't want anything much bigger and with a touchpad - but now I have the moto g and think its quality.

I am sure you can still get similar phones to the above - but for value for money and what they can do (you will 99% most likely start to use a phone like the moto g for far more than you used your phone previously) just jump in and make the change. IMO anyway.

Take a look at the Lumia range. Very good cameras (and photography software). Free turn by turn navigation with downloadable offline maps for most of the world. WP runs very well on low end hardware.

I just picked up a 630 for the mother in law for 100. I have a 920 (last years flagship) which you can probably find for 230.

If you're invested in Google's services then go Android, but if you use MS (Office, OneDrive, OneNote, outlook.com) or don't use any online services yet, do check out Lumias before you decide.

I suspect you might find the on-screen 'keys' on modern smartphones a nightmare after the tactile feel of the ones on your handset.

And the battery life.

And possibly reliability.

I'd wait until the iPhone 6 comes out (next few months), and then see how much a new iPhone 4 goes for as Apple will probably retire that model then.

Can't help the OP much.. Probably just try a high street phone shop and ask to play with a few.

If you do decide to go for a smart phone (which also works great as a regular phone) I'd also recommend the Moto G. My wife has one and it is brilliant. The battery life probably won't be as good as you're used to, but as with most smartphones it depends largely on how much time you spend using it. You'd get a couple days out of it with light usage.

You won't get a smart phone with a keyboard (not one worth bothering with), simple as that. Although I think your trust in the "mechanics" of the keyboard over software is a little misplaced. These phones are consumables in reality and I have had more problems with iffy keyboards over the years than with touch screens and on screen keyboards, never had a problem with the late, had a couple of very poor keyboards, keys sticking, not working and so on.

For the record the messenger app on the iPhone (I assume you mean iMessage) is Apple only and so you would need an iPhone to be using that.

If you really are a low level user of all the extras as QP1 says the Nokia Lumias are hard to beat, not used the new 6 series but would assume it's an upgrade on the 520 which for light to medium use was excellent. I have the 920 and it is brilliant, you can pick one of those up for £199 from Tesco.

Would not touch a Motorola or Samsung as far as I could throw it. YMMV.

Don't forget the Motorola Moto G is/was developed by Google..

Blackberries are woeful and so un intuitive it's incredible.

Not to a man who expects 5 day battery life.

Surely that rules out any smartphone?

Our company phones are apple and I'm lucky to get a day out of that (admittedly with pretty heavy usage)

Moto g is one of the bettr for battery.

I phones and Samsung are rudicukously poor.

I'm pretty pleased with the battery life on my Galaxy S3, certainly better than my previous Xperia Arc. Both those phones were hand-me-downs though, if I was spending my own money it'd be a Moto G, no question. I bought one for a friend's 69 year old mother and was impressed by it. She seems to be able to use it for calls, WhatsApp and text messages no trouble, dunno how she gets on with web browsing on it!

The friend who handed me down the S3 (when he upgraded to a Note 3) had IIRC both a BlackBerry Q10 and a Z10. He gave the Z10 to a mutual friend who likes it, and is always taking impressive looking HDR photos with it. I think he rated the Q10 too. Both are cheap as chips now as far as I can tell because of BlackBerry's well publicised woes.

Blackberries are woeful and so un intuitive it's incredible.

I think the complete opposite - my BB 9900 is great. I had a Samsung Galaxy for a while and hated it. I think it's more or less entirely down to what you use it for. For text based stuff, the BB is brilliant for me as it has everything in one place, the battery lasts for days, it's small, and it's frugal with bandwidth. If you wanted to use a bunch of apps and do a lot of browsing though I can see it would be awful.

Er, BlackBerry? Never used one but keyboard versions and smart-ish.

Would not touch a Motorola or Samsung as far as I could throw it. YMMV.

+1.

Seems the least bad option since Nokia strayed away from the wonderful standard they set with the E71/E72 a few years back.