House Price Crash Forum

Tory M P Cautioned Over Domestic Incident

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I didn't have you down as the 'naive' type !!

The MSM could not give a ****** if someone has mental health issues if there us a good story to be had that fits their agenda.

Freddie Star being case in point.

Freddie Starr does not have a load of mates than can wield real power and muzzle the press.

HOLA445

No chance they will want a by-election so close to a General Election.

My money will just be on him not standing at the GE and being replaced.

Hard to see a byelection being avoided now, in my view. Had the Tories withdrawn the whip pronto a month or so ago, and left the local association little option but to deselect him, they might have succeeded.

Then again, Ruffley might have threatened a resignation if the whip was withdrawn which could explain (if not excuse) the inaction to date. And with the reshuffle timing, was a whip who maybe had a good idea he was to be sacked (having already announced his planned retirement from the Commons at the next election) been keen to act?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Hard to see a byelection being avoided now, in my view. Had the Tories withdrawn the whip pronto a month or so ago, and left the local association little option but to deselect him, they might have succeeded.

Then again, Ruffley might have threatened a resignation if the whip was withdrawn which could explain (if not excuse) the inaction to date. And with the reshuffle timing, was a whip who maybe had a good idea he was to be sacked (having already announced his planned retirement from the Commons at the next election) been keen to act?

I disagree - if Ruffley wants to remain an MP there is no way he can be forced to stand down.

HOLA4410

i saw those; still no details.

suppose you tell me what he did, and why I should care?

Well, given the two people involved have remained silent on the exact details, it seems unlikely that I'm going to be able to satisfy your curiosity. Here's what Ruffley was reported to have said about it on Thursday (26th July):

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mp-david-ruffley-apologises-over-assault-involving-expartner-9624777.html

A Tory MP has apologised after he was given a police caution for common assault following an incident involving his former partner.

David Ruffley said his partner had accepted his apology for the March incident and stressed that he did not condone domestic violence "under any circumstances".

His local Conservative association is reportedly due to meet to discuss the issue next week amid suggestions he is losing support in his Bury St Edmunds constituency.

In a statement issued through his lawyers Kingsley Napley, Mr Ruffley said: "In March this year, an incident occurred between me and my former partner, resulting in inappropriate action on my part, which I deeply regret, in respect of which I accepted a police caution for common assault."

"Some time later, I telephoned my former partner to apologise.

"I am pleased to be able to say that she has accepted my apology. I have refrained from making any public statement on this matter as it is a deeply personal matter.

"It is my understanding that my former partner wishes the incident to remain private."

"I wish to stress that I would never condone domestic violence under any circumstances."

The statement added: "The incident was dealt with by the police and I accepted responsibility for my actions at the time.

"I regret this matter in its entirety and the position in which I put my former partner and I now ask that her privacy be respected."

HOLA4411

I disagree - if Ruffley wants to remain an MP there is no way he can be forced to stand down.

I agree that Ruffley is there for the duration if he is minded to be, but the threat of a byelection is his strongest card (only card?) now.

Tories will have to on one hand censure him for his behavior in a manner which placates the increasing numbers of critics, yet don't dump on him so much that he wants revenge and goes early.

His local association can decide to deselect him, and the issue is also with the new Chief Whip Michael Gove. If he is simply deselected by the local party and nothing more, Gove's credibility is on the line too, especially with potentially tighter votes as the coalition wanes towards the election. Will he want to be seen as a light touch with an MP who is not a significant party figure?

David Ward had the Lib Dem whip withdrawn over last summer, but what does this mean when the House is not in session anyway? Very little. If Gove suspends the whip for longer, at what duration might Ruffley say "sod it, I'm off" if he is deselected locally anyway?

HOLA4412

Well, given the two people involved have remained silent on the exact details, it seems unlikely that I'm going to be able to satisfy your curiosity. Here's what Ruffley was reported to have said about it on Thursday (26th July):

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mp-david-ruffley-apologises-over-assault-involving-expartner-9624777.html

so what does that tell you?

tells me: storm in a teacup.

HOLA4413

so what does that tell you?

tells me: storm in a teacup.

I can think of reasons why a victim might not wish to revisit a violent episode for the benefit of the media.

Ruffley accepted a caution (he didn't have to) for assault; his comments state that his behaviour was unacceptable. That is the end of it imo, the guy should be finished in public life.

HOLA4414

I can think of reasons why a victim might not wish to revisit a violent episode for the benefit of the media.

Ruffley accepted a caution (he didn't have to) for assault; his comments state that his behaviour was unacceptable. That is the end of it imo, the guy should be finished in public life.

Maybe he would have faced a more serious charge had he not accepted the caution?

Anyway lawmakers cannot not be lawbreakers so that is sufficient as to why Joe Public should take an interest.

Unless knocking women about is seen as common sports by some posters?

HOLA4415

Maybe he would have faced a more serious charge had he not accepted the caution?

Anyway lawmakers cannot not be lawbreakers so that is sufficient as to why Joe Public should take an interest.

Unless knocking women about is seen as common sports by some posters?

What exactly did he do?

And why are you so aerated about it?

Since the purported victim isn't.

HOLA4416

Anyone on here care to admit to experience in Journalism?

I suspect that "deals" are sometimes cut with this kind of thing. Someone is given an easier ride on their own story, in return they offer up juicier tidbits on somebody more interesting...kind of like a plea bargain, or the con that turns informer...

Just wondered if this sort of thing goes on...it seems likely to my simple mind.

P

I come into contact with journalists on the periphery of my job. My experience is that you'd no more trust a journalist than a politician. They might agree to such a deal, but only the naive would expect them to honour it.

HOLA4417

Well, today brings a carcrash interview on R2, a petition calling for Ruffley's resignation with nearly 40,000 names on it, and total silence from the top of the party.

The top of the Tory party have shown poor judgement by allowing this car crash to unfold when really they could have gone some way to containing the problem pretty soon after it emerged that Ruffley had been cautioned, nearly a month ago now.

Tick, tock..

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Archived