House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Knimbies who say No

Tory M P Cautioned Over Domestic Incident

Not a person who is a current member of the local association but a former councilor in the region:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/politics/bury_st_edmunds_more_criticism_for_david_ruffley_as_leading_figure_speaks_out_over_mp_s_assault_caution_1_3671153

I find this completely galling. Ultimately I think he's finished but the fact that he, his local party and the national party see fit to completely stonewall this issue is pretty dark imo.

Should be byelection time imo.

Hopefully get a reaction from Halfon, if not, well, he'll look very insincere given his recent commons statements about increased support for DV victims:

@cheeznbreed ยท 2 mins

@HarlowStarGemma You should ask @halfon4harlowMP about David Ruffley MP, cautioned after attacking partner.Tories silent so far. A disgrace.

But Bury St Edmunds is a safe Tory seat, so if he stands he is bound to get elected.

Unless Farage stands there on a platform of anti-domestic abuse.

Ruffley's feet shouldn't touch the floor, safe seat or not. He's unfit for public office imo (he also has 'form' on the turnover of junior staff in his employment btw, although there's been no suggestion of violence involved).

I can't believe a party would attempt to ride out a political storm to protect someone whose done in their missus.

Nothing from Halfon, a culture of silence.

Its a topsy turvey world.

Womens rights are important. OK.

Jokingly refer to women as sluts, as mr bloom did, and its a national 'scandal' (even though he never hid the statement)

Actually physically assualt a woman, its brushed under the carpet.

Oh, thats right, one is a tory. Thus above the law.

Its a topsy turvey world.

Womens rights are important. OK.

Jokingly refer to women as sluts, as mr bloom did, and its a national 'scandal' (even though he never hid the statement)

Actually physically assualt a woman, its brushed under the carpet.

Oh, thats right, one is a tory. Thus above the law.

This has all the nascent hallmarks of a big avoidable mess.

A junior parliamentary aide has written to Tory whip expressing concern about the lack of action regarding Ruffley, email has been leaked to Guido.

Worth remembering that Nadine Dorries had the whip removed for going on the telly; Ruffley cuffs his missus and get nowt.

Untouchable for now...

No response from Robert "victims of DV need more support" Halfon MP either. Scum.

Amazingly, Ruffley still retains the Tory whip and precisely nothing has been said by any Parliamentarian about this issue (from any side).

BBC local news has been on the case today though:

http://order-order.com/2014/07/16/watch-yet-more-voters-call-on-ruffley-to-resign/

One Tory councillor, Joanna Spicer, who is involved in domestic abuse support has come out to give a pretty lame statement, not criticizing Ruffley directly but calling on the national party to say it supports policies and people working in domestic violence support.

Abusers looking at the response from the Governing party of the land to this could scarcely be more optimistic for avoiding serious repercussions themselves.

Dean of the Cathedral has now weighed in:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/234793476/Ruffle-y

Nows she's put it on Gove's plate it will be interesting to see if the new broom will recognize the obvious PR disaster unfolding and get rid of this character.

Comes to something when it takes the intervention of the church raising the matter with senior party figures and cabinet ministers just to get any response whatsoever.

The Tories probably get annoyed when somebody refers to them as 'the nasty party', incidents like this won't help them shed the association.

Dean of the Cathedral has now weighed in:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/234793476/Ruffle-y

Nows she's put it on Gove's plate it will be interesting to see if the new broom will recognize the obvious PR disaster unfolding and get rid of this character.

Comes to something when it takes the intervention of the church raising the matter with senior party figures and cabinet ministers just to get any response whatsoever.

The Tories probably get annoyed when somebody refers to them as 'the nasty party', incidents like this won't help them shed the association.

Why not start a petition on change.org?

Why not start a petition on change.org?

Fair point, but I'm happy sniping from the sidelines in sheer amazement at the ineptitude of the way this is being handled. I am pretty certain that Ruffley will be gone in short order now that the profile of the issue is being raised, and Gove has been dragged into it. Seems to me that Gove has little option but to withdraw the whip. Whether he resigns his seat and forces a byelection or does a McShane and sits as an independent is anyone's guess.

Thanks for the offer of help btw.

If someone does a petition on change.org, I will write some press releases.

I think you've twice (so far) asked others to start up this petition of yours Crashy, suggesting to me that you (rightly in my opinion) view this issue as a matter of some importance.

Is there some reason why you can't start this petition yourself if it matters to you that much...?

Just askin' like...

XYY

As it happens I did end up visiting the site change.org but it wouldn't allow me to register.

I think the wheels are in motion to get Ruffley removed now so probably not necessary for the timebeing.

Grauniad strangely silent on the issue. Apparently Ruffley has been making himself useful to journos since the story broke which (to the cynical...) explains his relatively easy ride so far, at least until the Dean's intervention.

I'll be astonished if this guy sees out the month with the whip. Stranger things have happened mind..

I think you've twice (so far) asked others to start up this petition of yours Crashy, suggesting to me that you (rightly in my opinion) view this issue as a matter of some importance.

Is there some reason why you can't start this petition yourself if it matters to you that much...?

Just askin' like...

XYY

Yes, I think that organising this might cause me trouble with my employers, unless I can sign as 1929crash.

I think the MSM are laying off as Ruffley has mental health issues.

He is suspected of at least one suicide event already involving a live railway line. If they were to go after him now and cause him to successfully top himself in the future it would be grist to the mill for the clamp down on the press lobby post Leveson.

Seems Gove has initiated an investigation and the story is finally gaining some more exposure. Good.

Can't really see how he can survive until the election.

Maybe Ruffley had that plane shot down.

I think the MSM are laying off as Ruffley has mental health issues.

I didn't have you down as the 'naive' type !!

The MSM could not give a ****** if someone has mental health issues if there us a good story to be had that fits their agenda.

Freddie Star being case in point.

Apparently Ruffley was making himself useful to press types earlier in the month, which may explain the relative lack of coverage until the inevitable happened to drag it into the real world.

Note the outrage at Fabricant tweet when he threatened violence against a person, versus the tumbleweed which rolled by when Ruffley had actually done someone over. That doesn't happen by accident.