House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

Online Antique Bookseller Recommendations

Daughter's birthday coming up and I'd like to get her something to keep forever. One idea that crossed my mind was to find a very old copy of the complete works of Shakespeare.

Anyone bought antique books online before? Good and bad experience anecdotes welcome.

The Shakespeare idea is a bit conventional, and unless the binding is wonderful will soon be forgotten on a shelf. It won't get read, because one volume editions are tiny print. What were her favourite books as a child? How about a fine condition first edition in dustjacket, with a nice message from yourself loosely inserted on a separate page?. Or a copy signed by the author?

Alice, Pooh books, Harry Potter etc would be too expensive, but more modern authors should be reasonable.

Can you provide her age and your projected budget? Better still - books she loved as a child?

Failing that, the fat, handsome Mrs Beeton's cookbooks of a hundred years ago are fascinating to dip into. The editions with colour plates are very attractive.

The most appreciated present I've ever given began as a walnut-sized piece of amber found by my son on a beach at Kimmeridge, Dorset. A local jeweller made it into a ring, and a pendant on a gold chain. My wife wouldn't part with it at any price.

Daughter's birthday coming up and I'd like to get her something to keep forever. One idea that crossed my mind was to find a very old copy of the complete works of Shakespeare.

Anyone bought antique books online before? Good and bad experience anecdotes welcome.

Abebooks.co.uk. You can choose whether to search uk or worldwide. As it's for a birthday, beware of buying from the States or Canada, as the postal delivery times can be glacially slow.

It's for her 18th. I guess I was thinking of spending up to £250 on this. As for her favourites, well Shakespeare!! I'm not very literary so don't really know what else similar to suggest, but classic playwrights more than novelists. Greek / Roman theatre perhaps?

She's planning to do a degree in drama and her projected A level grades are looking pretty good.

It's for her 18th. I guess I was thinking of spending up to £250 on this. As for her favourites, well Shakespeare!! I'm not very literary so don't really know what else similar to suggest, but classic playwrights more than novelists. Greek / Roman theatre perhaps?

She's planning to do a degree in drama and her projected A level grades are looking pretty good.

Euripides, Plautus and Seneca are likely ancient ones.

May be better to browse a bookshop that sells related books and products? Hard to see genuine condition online, plus the shipping can add to the cost

http://www.ayoungertheatre.com/the-best-places-to-buy-theatre-books-in-london-theatre-bookshops/

www.ayoungertheatre.com/the-best-places-to-buy-theatre-books-in-london-theatre-bookshops/

Hint If you find thebookshop price is higher than say amazon, merely ask the shop if they can match the price. If decently run, they'd be only too happy to steal a sale back from the Borg (abebooks is part of amazon empire)

Euripides, Plautus and Seneca are likely ancient ones.

It's a difficult one, this.

At university specific editions and translations will be required as per their booklists. So buying a present which can be actually used for study isn't practical.

Any of the classic dramatists in a fine decorative binding would be a great 'forever' present. The budget quoted should cover it, but an online description and picture should be looked at carefully. 'Very fine' condition is needed and any defects noted. Use known dealers with ABA status.

A different angle: an original framed film poster of a favourite film or actor? Student digs need things on the walls.

It's a difficult one, this.

At university specific editions and translations will be required as per their booklists. So buying a present which can be actually used for study isn't practical.

Any of the classic dramatists in a fine decorative binding would be a great 'forever' present. The budget quoted should cover it, but an online description and picture should be looked at carefully. 'Very fine' condition is needed and any defects noted. Use known dealers with ABA status.

A different angle: an original framed film poster of a favourite film or actor? Student digs need things on the walls.

Yes this is another possibility.

Not just for my daughter, but also my Mum's next birthday and Christmas. She lived near Carnforth railway station when Brief Encounter was made and hung around there with her friends, doing a bit of star spotting. Other than that, Bogart was my Mum's favourite.

Something film, music or literary associated with the year of her birth?

1996? Signed copy of 3 Lions?

Ha! Nailed it, thread closed.