House Price Crash Forum

Samsung Scraps Plasma Tvs

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28143408

Samsung is to stop producing plasma televisions (PDP TVs) by 30 November.

It said falling demand meant it would instead focus on producing curved and ultra-high-definition (UHD) TVs.

"We remain committed to providing consumers with products that meet their need," Samsung told the CNET website.

Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi and Pioneer have also pulled out of the sector in recent years. And, according to the Tech Radar website, LG is expected to follow suit soon.

Plasma screens, which use electrically charged ionised gases, are often applauded for their brightness, deep blacks, and high frame rates, considered ideal for watching sport and films.

But they tend to use more electricity and are considerably bulkier than the now more popular liquid-crystal display (LCD) and light-emitting diode (LED) TVs.

Not surprised they are being pulled, LED's are just getting thinner and thinner.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Yes they'll be discounting stock of these in markets.

Oh Sony are exiting pc manufacturing , and coincidentally Currys are discounting to clear. The next one that looks like it'll collapse is tablets.Prices are crashing - well of android based ones. Ipad sales are holding until they (Apple) increase the iPhone screen size and sales of Ipad goes the way of ipod.

HOLA444

Yes they'll be discounting stock of these in markets.

Oh Sony are exiting pc manufacturing , and coincidentally Currys are discounting to clear. The next one that looks like it'll collapse is tablets.Prices are crashing - well of android based ones. Ipad sales are holding until they (Apple) increase the iPhone screen size and sales of Ipad goes the way of ipod.

I recently bought a TV, and there weren't many plasma ones! Tablets? Well everyone who wants one now has one!

HOLA445

Just bought a 60inch LG plasma and it is fabulous. Looked at it side by side with an LCD that was four times the price and honestly preferred the plasma.

Yes, it is heavy, but you don't expect to move any 60inch tv often and I think it would take a very long time for the increased energy consumption to make the total cost of ownership of the LCD more economical. Just how thin do you need a tv to be? It has poke out of the wall far enough to get the plugs in anyway.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Just bought a 60inch LG plasma and it is fabulous. Looked at it side by side with an LCD that was four times the price and honestly preferred the plasma.

Yes, it is heavy, but you don't expect to move any 60inch tv often and I think it would take a very long time for the increased energy consumption to make the total cost of ownership of the LCD more economical. Just how thin do you need a tv to be? It has poke out of the wall far enough to get the plugs in anyway.

Not if you imbed the plugs and wires in a wall cavity. Sure 99.9% of people won't but some people would do (not me I should add).

Although on the subject of being heavy, no way are the heavier than the 36" monster Sony CRT I used to have, was definitely a two man job, and I do mean men, if I wanted to move it I needed to call my dad round.

HOLA448

Great - I'm after a new 1080 so they can flood the market with as many 4k2k's as they like to get the price of the 1080's down :)

Unfortunately they'll probably recall them all and send them to landfill :(

HOLA449

Bought mine a couple of years ago, and still love it. However it's a bit of a pain having to watch out for things like HUDs on video games and the program displays on my V+ box burning the screen. I'd only had it a couple of months when my brother managed to burn a semicircle into the bottom left hand corner playing GTAIV- it took about 20 hours of colour washing to get rid of it! :blink: He was banned after that and sent to use the 42" LCD in the back room instead- though he seems to have managed to play all the way through GTAV on the plasma with no ill effects as it doesn't seem to have a permanent HUD.

HOLA4410

customers really NEED 4K and curves......???

Not really! I can't see the individual pixels on a 1080!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

>>I guess with the improvements in LCD fab, the prices were always going to beat plasma eventually.

But (on the shop floor at least) plasma is significantly cheaper than LCD for (what I perceive) as equal or better picture quality (less judder, better blacks, more vibrant colours). Sure, you need to close the curtains/dim the lights to reduce the glare/reflection and watch out for screen burn in - although on modern plasmas burn in seems to disappear after a few hours additional use.

Maybe the profit margins are better on LCD.

HOLA4413

Ipad sales are holding until they (Apple) increase the iPhone screen size and sales of Ipad goes the way of ipod.

Yeah, because people really want to carry around a phone with a 10" screen.

HOLA4414

Not really! I can't see the individual pixels on a 1080!

That's 'cause you're not sitting close enough. But, yeah, for most people who sit six feet or more from a 32" TV, 4k displays are just silly.

HOLA4415

That's 'cause you're not sitting close enough. But, yeah, for most people who sit six feet or more from a 32" TV, 4k displays are just silly.

Apparently human eyes can perceive detail down to about a minute of arc. I sit about 10' from my 60", and although I haven't worked it out recently, I did once and I'm pretty sure I'd get no benefit from 4K.

I've never actually watched my Blu-Ray of Baraka all the way through but I've put it on for testing purposes and it looks sensational until you're about 3' from the screen...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The trend of lugging ever-increasingly huge lumps of plastic around with them all the time is one of the more depressing aspects of modern life. If they need it that deperately I wonder why people bother setting foot outside the front door at all.

HOLA4418

They are silly! I'm sitting about 9 foot from a 48 inch set! Anyway there is no 4k "content", and no disk big enough to fit it on! :blink:

HOLA4419

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/samsung-sees-another-profit-dip-cites-weak-demand-2014-07-08

Samsung profit warning. Seems a glut of smartphones.

Also a note on phone sales eating into tablet sales.

Imo They will have to smash up capacity else I think tablets will be coming out of our ears and given away as free gifts. Whether Apple gets caught up in it I am not sure.

HOLA4420

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/samsung-sees-another-profit-dip-cites-weak-demand-2014-07-08

Samsung profit warning. Seems a glut of smartphones.

Also a note on phone sales eating into tablet sales.

Imo They will have to smash up capacity else I think tablets will be coming out of our ears and given away as free gifts. Whether Apple gets caught up in it I am not sure.

One area of the market they have failed to exploit is the "two smartphone person".

It would be important though to make sure that one smartphone cannot talk directly to the other one. Otherwise some people could tie themselves in knots for weeks.

HOLA4421

Imo They will have to smash up capacity else I think tablets will be coming out of our ears and given away as free gifts.

Like computers, you mean? I couldn't even tell you how many we have in the house without counting them.

HOLA4422

Like computers, you mean? I couldn't even tell you how many we have in the house without counting them.

Got to have computers and tablets and smartphones and so on. Article on the BBC today about hacking networked lights. What sort of technology-obsessed moron wants networked lights, let alone thought up the idea in the first place? Talk about making things as complicated as possible just for the sake of it, another example of the human race being a bunch of ****ing out of touch idiots.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Remarkable how only a few years ago, well, 30, suitcase size mobile phones were replaced by handbag sized ones and we all thought they were wonderful, then came brick sized phones, eventually shrinking smaller and smaller and anyone who had a large phone felt way behind the curve!

Now, we must all have large screen phones, never mind how awkward they are.

How on earth did we manage before the mobile phone?

The human race is truly very stupid.

HOLA4425

Remarkable how only a few years ago, well, 30, suitcase size mobile phones were replaced by handbag sized ones and we all thought they were wonderful, then came brick sized phones, eventually shrinking smaller and smaller and anyone who had a large phone felt way behind the curve!

Now, we must all have large screen phones, never mind how awkward they are.

How on earth did we manage before the mobile phone?

The human race is truly very stupid.

I do have a "cellphone". ! only switch it on when I want to talk to somebody!

Archived