House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goat

I'm Sick Of Junk Mail

I get so much cr@p through my letterbox I tend to disregard everything unless I'm actually expecting it. Just found out I've missed something important (forgot to pay a bill and ignored reminder letters as I assumed it was the usual), no harm done but pain in the a*** nonetheless.

I like the food places stuff - I think it was Pizza Express that delivered this week sometime with a big 40% off £30+ spend. I was half tempted to shell out for a few pizzas and a side which would cost me around £17 but then I realised that for that price I could make around 10 pizzas and have 5 lots of sides!

I don't mind general junk mail, the sort that the postman puts through all the letter boxes...it is rather wasteful but at least you know there is life out there and information about some local goings on are quite informative.... :)

Save up the freepost return envelopes.

Then pop all the junk mail in them and put them back in the post box.

I once heard of someone who sellotaped them to bricks.

I get so much cr@p through my letterbox I tend to disregard everything unless I'm actually expecting it. Just found out I've missed something important (forgot to pay a bill and ignored reminder letters as I assumed it was the usual), no harm done but pain in the a*** nonetheless.

Better than spam email or bogus "Dave's" calling you from India

I quite like the bizarre catalogues that try to sell you caps with the torch light and fan attachments .

As other have mentioned at least the snail mail also guarantees someone in the UK a job unlike the internet shite and the dodgy telephone salesmen in Bangalore.

It is easier to sort through than 100 spam emails. I just put mine in the recycling bin to be turned into yet more circulars

Just write "Unwanted junk - Return to sender" on the front and pop it back in the postbox.

I get so much crap from Virgin media that I'm thinking of inviting Branson round to collect his belongings.

I once tried giving some junk mail back to the postman, but he refused to take it.

Just write "Unwanted junk - Return to sender" on the front and pop it back in the postbox.

I get so much crap from Virgin media that I'm thinking of inviting Branson round to collect his belongings.

I once tried giving some junk mail back to the postman, but he refused to take it.

Virgin Media are the worst, to the point I'd refuse to use them even if there service was unquestionably the best and was free. I've returned plenty of it to them with "Unwanted junk".

Virgin Media are the worst, to the point I'd refuse to use them even if there service was unquestionably the best and was free. I've returned plenty of it to them with "Unwanted junk".

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/privacy/harassment-unwanted-letters-and-telephone-calls/protection-from-harassment-act-1997.shtml

Get a restraining order.

Virgin media are owned by "Liberty Global" these days. Not Branson.

They're indeed a pain. I use them because I live too far from a telephone exchange, so Virgin Cable is my only option for anything broadband-grade.

Letter from the council recently, just confirming that I am registered to vote. Better read the small print ...seems there are now two electoral registers.

One is the electoral register which "lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections".

The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.

It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (eg, fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

The second is the open register which "is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections and can be bought by any person, company or organisation".

For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.

Another automatically opted in 'choice'.

Royal Mail deliver the majority of junk mail. You can get an 'opt-out' form from their website but it only lasts three or four years and then you have to re-send the form. When I complained about being re-listed they said it was to ensure that if I moved house the new owner would get the much needed junk mail.

Biggest pain for me is ripping off anything with my name and address and shredding it,but then we are a mite fanatical about shredding. I get stacks of junk, loads of catalogues and charity demands. Catalogues can sometimes be useful though - I always have a quick flick through before binning. Much of the charity stuff gets binned too, but about 3 times a year I send off to several I have supported for a while. I just wish they wouldn't pass my details on to overtly religious orgs that send me rosaries or bracelets covered with little Jesus pictures, and want money to pray for world peace. Grrrrr.

Any leaflets about pizzas etc. go straight in the recycle bin. Ditto letters from EAs very anxious to come and value our house, or telling us they have queues of corporate tenants lined up.

but about 3 times a year I send off to several I have supported for a while.

Don't. Any response to junkmail only encourages them.

I do give to a couple of charities. I'd stop if they junkmailed me.

Not known at this address....return to sender, mail it back unopened. ;)

Not known at this address....return to sender, mail it back unopened. ;)

I like the more personal junk mail that begins "Dear householder", or "The Occupier"! :wacko:

I like the more personal junk mail that begins "Dear householder", or "The Occupier"! :wacko:

That's the stuff delivered by Royal Mail - it's definitely worth opting out, my postie changes every month but none of them have put any through my door since :-)

Royal Mail should charge people who don't want it. Think of it as a 'premium service'....or 'black'mail.

(isn't that how these things work?)

And then they would have to charge companies for a 'gold' level priority delivery which would still send to the people who paid the premium to not to get junk.

And then you could change consumers a "super gold" opt out which would block all junk mail including the "gold" level priority

If they took this far enough they could make a fortune without having to actually deliver anything.

I sometimes stuff the forms from junkmail 1 into the freepost return envelope from junkmail 2, then put the forms from junkmail 2 into the return envelope from junkmail 1 and post them off.

Most of the time I cant be bothered but it makes me smile when I push them through the pillbox.

Biggest pain for me is ripping off anything with my name and address and shredding it,but then we are a mite fanatical about shredding.

I'm on the electoral roll so people can go to a local library and get my name and address. I've no problem binning that stuff. Many ebay sellers include my email on their invoice, that I do shred.

Biggest pain for me is ripping off anything with my name and address and shredding it,but then we are a mite fanatical about shredding.

I'm on the electoral roll so people can go to a local library and get my name and address. I've no problem binning that stuff. Many ebay sellers include my email on their invoice, that I do shred.

Buying something dodgy? :P

Easy to tell who sells on your details to other firms......if ever get a quote for anything such as insurance, spell your name wrong then see how new junk mail turns up in the same wrong name from a company you have never dealt with.

Post man once said they got a letter addressed to 4T some road, somewhere.....worked out it should have been 40. ;)