House Price Crash Forum
mewParadigm

Ea Mass-Leafletting For Open Viewing, "no Appointment Required"

A tactic I haven't seen before. Leaflet through the door yesterday for an open house at a flat 1/2 mile away (if they've covered a 1/2 mile radius around here that's a lot of leaflets, but could be even more). This is on Saturday and they're saying no appointments, just turn up at a particular time.

To me this says things are going off the boil - before they were not resorting to leafletting, insisted people made appointments before they were given the address, and tried to stagger people's arrivals across a one-hour or two-hour slot.

I'm yet to get my head around open house viewings. So, I need to book an appointment to view a house at the same time as everyone else crammed into a 1 hour time slot on one day. Exactly what's in it for me? This is jsut EA's trying to (1) minimise the burden on themselves, and (2) pretend that demand is higher than it really is...isn't it?

I'm yet to get my head around open house viewings. So, I need to book an appointment to view a house at the same time as everyone else crammed into a 1 hour time slot on one day. Exactly what's in it for me? This is jsut EA's trying to (1) minimise the burden on themselves, and (2) pretend that demand is higher than it really is...isn't it?

Exactly . +1

Edited by SleepyHead

I suppose there is a convenience for the occupier, but yeah I agree. If I viewed a house that was only open viewings, I'd go every day. If the same people turn up each time, they are the EA's mates, otherwise you have a good idea of how much interest there is, and whether it's worthwhile putting a reasonably low offer in.

If I viewed a house that was only open viewings, I'd go every day. If the same people turn up each time, they are the EA's mates

That or 5 other HPCers with the same idea, all glaring at each other suspiciously.

That or 5 other HPCers with the same idea, all glaring at each other suspiciously.

I hereby claim intellectual property rights on my idea. I grant all HPCers the right to use my idea on the condition they wear Mickey Mouse ears to the viewings so I can identify them.

Here's an even better one, let's organise flash mob events at open viewings (without the ears).

If another HPCer is interested in a house, we'll all turn up to the open days to put off the competition so they don't bother putting in an offer.

Then said HPCer puts in a ridiculously low offer, with no other offers on the table.

Simples!

If you have a couple of ringers walking around loudly saying what a bargain the house is you might sucker in some numpties to make an offer. Bids off the hallway?

Get the ftbs in.

Yes then they phone back an hour later. Do you like it? Yes. Are you going to make an offer?

Later the EA says I have x buyers and x have made an offer.